318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 103,029 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 66,069 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 63,284 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM  
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY***

There's been plenty of threads, but none as detailed as this one. I'm confident that I have identified the source of our problems and developed a permanent solution.

I "fixed" my window many times before I finally got sick of dealing with it and was on the verge of retrofitting...

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
By TrzTi on 04-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Thanks for this awesome write up, wasn't easy for me to get the torx out of bottom of the armrest. Took me longer than anticipated but wasn't too frustrating because of this write-up. All done, and window seems great. Thanks!
By kuleinc on 04-06-2011, 05:07 AM

when twisting tracks is it counter/clockwise as viewed from top?
By 32styledTI on 04-06-2011, 05:15 AM

It could be possible that the back window tracks just mangled beyond repair I think they offer bolt in replacements..

also In my own experience I just left the regulator arm offf and tried to manualy push the window up and down and see if there were any snags in the track/glass maybe give that a try also....?

are you sure all your window sliders are in good condition and slide easly by hand?

are you sure that the meterial isnt bindin agenst the window in the tracks , maybe that needs to be reglued.. not sure if any ofthis helps.
By 32styledTI on 04-06-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuleinc View Post

i think it depends on which way its bent.. are you looking at it from above thru the top of the door? remove that piece of rubber trim thats clipped it gives much more access.
By Eric on 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuleinc View Post
You've got to determine that by seeing which direction the glass hops out when you slam the door - the track dumps it either to the inside or the outside of the door.

- Eric
By SueL on 05-03-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueL View Post
Cooljess76,
I would just as soon take it elsewhere, (even though I've been using that shop for 14 years, for this car and my 320i before that), for this job at least. Can anyone on this list suggest someone in the Vancouver, B.C., area?
SueL
Ok, decided to have a go at the job myself (especially since the passenger side window has now failed, too!).
Now, this may not bode well for the rest of the job, but I can't seem to be able to unscrew the screw accessed through the door handle and can't see into the hole. What type of screwdriver should I use? Another post said a T-20 Torx but that doesn't seem to work.
Thank you for any help.
Sue
By cooljess76 on 05-03-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueL View Post
Ok, decided to have a go at the job myself (especially since the passenger side window has now failed, too!).
Now, this may not bode well for the rest of the job, but I can't seem to be able to unscrew the screw accessed through the door handle and can't see into the hole. What type of screwdriver should I use? Another post said a T-20 Torx but that doesn't seem to work.
Thank you for any help.
Sue
Can't remember offhand which size torx it was, however there's a really good chance that the previous owner may have replaced it with a more common phillips screw.
By Eric on 05-03-2011, 03:51 AM

There is one that is way down inside the rubber part - you can't see it, you can only feel it. I assume that's the one in question ...

I would carefully trial-fit every darn tool you've got - different Torx sizes, Phillips head, and standard screwdrivers. Remember that the hole in the rubber, and the tunnel it passes through, may not be lined up perfectly with the fastener at the bottom, so you may have to poke around a bit to find the center of the screw. Once you get it, you'll know it. If it doesn't quite feel right, then try a different tool, until it "hooks up" solidly.

- Eric
By SueL on 05-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Can't remember offhand which size torx it was, however there's a really good chance that the previous owner may have replaced it with a more common phillips screw.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I think you may be right because I think that's the screwdriver that seemed to grab something at the end of the tunnel. Will continue. I peeked inside the door and noticed at least two of the clips were missing, leaving just the glue behind on the panel. But it doesn't seem to affect the overall bond to the door.
Will let you know how it goes.
Sue
By SueL on 05-03-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
There is one that is way down inside the rubber part - you can't see it, you can only feel it. I assume that's the one in question ... I would carefully trial-fit every darn tool you've got - different Torx sizes, Phillips head, and standard screwdrivers. Remember that the hole in the rubber, and the tunnel it passes through, may not be lined up perfectly with the fastener at the bottom, so you may have to poke around a bit to find the center of the screw. Once you get it, you'll know it. If it doesn't quite feel right, then try a different tool, until it "hooks up" solidly. - Eric
Thank you for your answer. I suspected as much. I'll continue and let you know how it goes. Sue
By patrick1990 on 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Thumbs up

CoolJess: Excellent write-up. I have dealt with this window nightmare ever sense buying my 97' ti, in 2009.

REGARDING ITEM "5d": A great tool to use at this stage, is an auto body 'locking-suction cup'. You know, the orange handled things, with a black rubber suction base. Using one of those can actually negate having to take the window out... at least when I've done it.
Locking-Suction-Cup.jpg

REGARDING 2B: Like you, I also used JB Weld to glue the Repair Door Panel Clips, I even used the sharpie and wrote down the numbers, BUT I did not not mark arrows pointing the proper direction the clips should go... Now, some of the clips, are permanently affixed in the wrong direction - argh!! I have been driving without a door panel (driver's side for approx 7 months, now.

LISTEN TO COOLJESS76, ON THIS ONE FOLKS. ALL OF ITEM "2B" IS SO VERY IMPORTANT!
Cheers to all,
Patrick
Last edited by roadrash; 05-23-2011 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: corrected cooljess76's name
By Ralliart10 on 09-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Step 4: Remove Inner Weather Strip
With the window in the completely lowered position, pry and unclip the metal clips holding the rubber strip along the inner edge of the door. Try not to bend these clips, a tiny flathead screwdriver works well.

Anybody know where I can buy a new weather strip mention above?
By AlyWren on 12-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks so much for posting this! I was about to just buy a new door I was so sick of fixing the window every winter! -Aly
By BlackBMWs on 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Great post! I am new to the 318ti community, but not to BMWs. I have a few over the last 25 years. I'm running through a long list of renewal items on a 1995 Sport I recently picked up and both windows had popped their clips. I reclipped and greased them and they are operational again, but after I get through most of the list and when they pop again, I'll go through the alignment verification outlined by Jess. Thanks for taking the time to document your observations and repair method.

Cheers!
By 9644 on 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Thank you for this write-up. I replaced the drivers side 3 years ago with no problem but today the passenger side gave me fits until I read this. Now I need to find a outer weatherstrip for the passenger door.
Comment