318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Teresi

Default Do not know if I should buy!!

So I am thinking about purchasing this Bimmer soon and I have no clue if I should or not...

Price $5,899
MSRP Unlisted
Mileage 148,430
Body Style Hatchback
Exterior Color Blue
Interior Color Black
Engine 4 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door
VIN WBACG7321WAS99772

EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE and FAST for a luxury car ! This is a very solid 318 with no rattles and every single thing works and runs extermely well. Engine is tight, a/c ice cold, clean interior. Non-smoker, 4 almost-new Michelin MXV4 tires, new ECU computer, new fuel pump/filter, new idle control module, new Bavarian Motorsport front rotors and brake pads, fresh oil and filter change, (BMW filter element) new cam position sensor, both oxygen sensors, fuel cap. 8K ago new head, manifold, & valve cover gaskets, valve seals, engine coolant flush and fill, fan switch, coolant sensor, new radiator, sperpentine belt, and thermostat. Comes with (parts) new Bavarian Autosport rear disc rotors and pads and new cabin ventilation filter elements. Great mileage from this 4 cylinder yet you can still pass on the interstate going uphill w/ the a/c running easily. This car is ready to drive for many, many, more miles !

Hi Jake, We haven't had the clutch replaced but then again we've only had the car a little over two years. My assumption is that it has already been replaced by a previous owner. The timing belt was replaced when the head work was done probably 12K miles ago. The head work was needed because someone had previously tried and RTV quick fix that didn't last so we had our mechanic do it right. He faced the head smooth and reinstalled using all new gaskets and he had the valves faces and valve seals faced so they seal like new. I can't recall what oil I put in last but I did my own changes. I want to say 5W-30 Castrol. The repairs last winter were extensive because our mechanic could not find out why we had a cold starting issue. He really never fix it either but we now have a zillion new parts in it...and $ so at least we know those things are all new and should last many years. The car runs great, no rattles,verysolid but if it gets below 30F it will start but it takes a little whilecranking. As an aside, the reason we're selling is that the 318 was our first BMW and since then we have learned to LOVE them.....but I made the mistake of taking my wife to look at newer used ones and we bought an 04 325ci so the 318ti is now up for sale. Hope this helps, Mike
Teresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Ji Money

It sounds like a decent price with all the replaced parts. I had to get my idle control unit replaced at a shop and it cost me around $500.

Take it for a thorough test drive. I got burned on my first ti purchase. My second purchase wasn't that much better either. I paid $7k for my first ti back in 2006. A 97' with the Cali roof and the Sport package that had about 90k miles on it. I then paid $6k for a 95' Clubsport edition w/ about 110k miles on it.

My 97' has an issue where the wheels rub against the frame when I take left turns hard. The previous owner was in a small fender bender that never got reported. He told me it's just a small nick on the buper and that's it. He's a damn liar. I'll spare you the story about my 95'.
Ji Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresi View Post
The timing belt was replaced when the head work was done probably 12K miles ago. . . I can't recall what oil I put in last but I did my own changes. I want to say 5W-30 Castrol.
These are the things that might trouble me:
1. The car uses a timing chain, not a belt.
2. If you change your own oil, you're probably smart enough to know to stick to one brand.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Teresi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
These are the things that might trouble me:
1. The car uses a timing chain, not a belt.
2. If you change your own oil, you're probably smart enough to know to stick to one brand.
so what would you say? You think I should ask him if he got the chain done? and what about the oil? I work for valvoline instant oil change over here in pittsburgh I don't think it matters what brand oil it is just as long he is using the right oil, but could I not fix that within a few oil changes and maybe a little sea foam?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
aceyx

I would pay to get it inspected, that's all.

And if purchased, do a quick oil change (and another soon) to flush out whatever's in there.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
so what would you say? You think I should ask him if he got the chain done? and what about the oil? I work for valvoline instant oil change over here in pittsburgh I don't think it matters what brand oil it is just as long he is using the right oil, but could I not fix that within a few oil changes and maybe a little sea foam?

Yeah ask him if it was the chain and not a belt. And seafoam would be a great idea. Just seafoam the whole engine and then change the oil after you drive it for 100 miles like it says on the side of the bottle.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Teresi

sounds like a great deal considering all the guy has done to the vehicle. he ran the lowest gas in there too so would it be a good idea to use fuel injector cleaner for that or something stronger? One other thing I am concerned about is problems with cold starting he said it takes like 15 seconds to crank!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Teresi

One other thing is can I get it inspected at any mechanic or do I need to take it to a BMW certified mechanic? This guy lives in Ohio and they do not have state inspections and this guy lives 105 miles away from pittsburgh so that would be a pain in the ass to have it inspected
Old 07-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Ji Money

15 seconds to crank does seem a little bit extreme. My old Honda Accord at 240k miles started to have that problem. My 95, which was a track car from all the indications, takes about 5 seconds to crank. My 97 which was a not a track car as far as I can tell, starts right up everytime. That engine must have alot of wear and tear.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Teresi

is there anything to fix that? This is one of the only manuals in my area haha. Geez I don't even know how to drive a manual, thought I would've learned on this one.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Teresi

here is what his email said

I would say the car takes about 15 seconds to catch in cold weather. Some days better, some worse. Actually once the
car has been run and smoothes out it is fine for the rest of the day. Overnight is the issue with temps. of 30 F or less.
We did everything we could to try to fix that and we just want interested parties to know about it. We're not trying to hide
anything.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
Ji Money

I did the same thing w/ my 97! I learned stick on that car, and I'm really glad that I did.

You know, nobody ever fixed my Honda properly. I eventually gave it away, but on cold mornings, that b!tch would not start sometimes, or really take 15 seconds or more to crank. A permanent fix would be a new engine I guess if no one can figure it out. There are a lot of knowledgable folks on this forum. Start posting on the other sub-forums or do a search. Search results can bring up threads that cannot be seen normally.

There are some nice ti's for sale here too. I remember a new member by the name of moose bought a really nice one from a memebr here. It has the supercharger kit on it too.

Good luck man and don't rush into anthing.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Teresi

Haha man this is college money here. My college is turning out to not be that expensive. I would love to have somone within 120 miles away from pittsburgh sell me a car with decent mileage and records!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #14
Ji Money

Here are my two cars. The black is a 97' with the California roof and the sport package. The red is a 95' Clubsport.

Click image for larger version Name:	1.jpg Views:	226 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	6344

Click image for larger version Name:	2.jpg Views:	224 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	6345

Click image for larger version Name:	3.jpg Views:	220 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	6346
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Ji Money

Quote:
Haha man this is college money here. My college is turning out to not be that expensive. I would love to have somone at most 120 miles away from pittsburgh sell me a car with decent mileage!
Keep looking, you'll find it.