318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,027,114 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
rustyrox

Default NEED HELP!! Clutch Issue

My clutch still functions and I can shift through all gears. But recently the clutch is responding as if I am shifting at the wrong time, or as if I don't know how to drive a manual (that is not the case, I have been driving for 10 years and have always owned a manual). Any help is greatly appreciated.
rustyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrox View Post
My clutch still functions and I can shift through all gears. But recently the clutch is responding as if I am shifting at the wrong time, or as if I don't know how to drive a manual (that is not the case, I have been driving for 10 years and have always owned a manual). Any help is greatly appreciated.
Just a starting point...always start with the easy stuff

Check clutch master cylinder fluid. If it's low refill then bleed the slave cylinder, top off after bleeding and look for fluid leaks on the master and slave cylinder. Try shifting by double clutching. like pumping your brakes when you have a bad brake master cylinder. If this clears it up might be a bad master or slave cylinder

Does the clutch engage at the bottom, middle or top of the clutch petal travel?

Put the stick in neutral with engine running. Depress the clutch for 1 minute don't let off it and then try to shift to reverse. If it won't go in gear or grinds it's not the trans. Drive the car in second gear push the clutch in go to neutral release the clutch then push it back in and shift to third. Does that clear the problem?

With these questions answered it will help us help you better

How many miles?
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
rustyrox

Thanks for the help johnboy. I checked the brake fluid reservior and the fluid level is right where it should be. I started her up and took her for a spin and tried double clutching a few times. The clutch started slipping at high rpms. I am assuming that it is time for a new clutch. How hard is it to install a new clutch? I have never done one before. I am not asking how to change the clutch, I understand the process (remove the stater motor, exhaust, driveshaft, and transmission...). But how long does it normally take? Are there any special tools that I will need? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to go about doing it correctly?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
rustyrox

just wanted to add... The car has 128xxx (not sure if the clutch was replaced before I bought the car). The clutch engages at the top of the petal travel.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Thanks for the help johnboy. I checked the brake fluid reservior and the fluid level is right where it should be. I started her up and took her for a spin and tried double clutching a few times. The clutch started slipping at high rpms. I am assuming that it is time for a new clutch. How hard is it to install a new clutch? I have never done one before. I am not asking how to change the clutch, I understand the process (remove the stater motor, exhaust, driveshaft, and transmission...). But how long does it normally take? Are there any special tools that I will need? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to go about doing it correctly?
It takes a shop about 3-4 hours. DIY can be the same if you have the proper tools. Car lift, air tools and a machine shop close by. Also doing it previously speeds up the install time. The thing that slows the install the most is removing the flywheel and getting it turned (resurfaced) before you bolt the new clutch/pressure plate back on. This is done at a machine shop. Good luck with the project. It is very hard to do on you back with the car on jack stands. Fairly easy on a lift with a trans jack to slide the trans back to expose the flywheel/clutch.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
just wanted to add... The car has 128xxx (not sure if the clutch was replaced before I bought the car). The clutch engages at the top of the petal travel.

Clutches can go 100,000+ but it all depends on the driver.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
rustyrox

Thanks again johnboy. It looks like I can get a clutch kit for about $200 online. About how much do you think a shop would charge me to install it ( I was estimating $300-$400)?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Thanks again johnboy. It looks like I can get a clutch kit for about $200 online. About how much do you think a shop would charge me to install it ( I was estimating $300-$400)?
Mr. Transmission who I don't use charges $500 to install and turn the flywheel. If you call around prices vary from $350 to $800 so make sure you call a few shops. Also be careful if the shop tells you you need a new flywheel. The BMW dual-mass flywheel has about 1/8 inch play built into it and people not familiar with it will think it's bad. It is suppose to have that movement as a shock absorber. If it can be turned to smooth it don't let them talk you into a new flywheel have them turn it and reinstall. Good Luck!!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
Turboready

Quote:
The clutch engages at the top of the petal travel.
Clear sign that your clutch needs replacing.
Turboready is offline   Reply With Quote