318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,026,249 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
rustyrox

Default I think the shop broke my ti.... need advice!

My ti needed a new clutch. I brought it to a mechanic on Dec. 30. I didnt get my car back until Jan. 13. My total bill was $1200 for 1 balljoint ($90), 1 flywheel ($100), 1 clutch kit ($417), and labor. I was thrown a bit off by the receipt saying "1 flywheel-$100" since a flywheel costs about $1000 new, but i figured thats what they charge to have it turned. I heard you may or may not need to give a new clutch a break in period of about 500 miles so just to be safe I made sure to shift at 3000rpm and not let off the clutch pedal too quickly.

Everything seemed fine for about 48hrs. Then Thursday Morning I start it up, press in the clutch and hear a very scary grinding/rubbing/humming noise. I only hear the sound at the very bottom of the clutch when I push it all the way to the floor. It was about 10 below zero here in NY the night before, so I thought maybe something was frozen or something and I hoped that as the car warmed up and got driven a bit the noise would stop. On my way to work about 20mins after first hearing the sound my check engine light came on! At this point I became very concerned. The next morning I brought it back to the shop that had put the new clutch in. I watched as two different mechanics got in and pushed the clutch...both of them looked puzzled by the grinding noise. They put it on the lift, looked around for about 10 minutes and found nothing. They told me to come back and drop it off today (Tuesday Jan. 20).
Today They tell me that my flywheel is shot and that they will need to replace it for an additional $1000+labor!!!! Now I dont know too much about cars but I know enough that this doesnt seem to make any sense. How can my flywheel possibly be shot? The car never made any grinding sounds with the old clutch in it...even after it started engaging late. How does a flywheel become damaged with a brand new clutch in it after only 48hrs of being installed? Then my wife brought up a good point.... They just took the flywheel out, had it turned (for an extra $100), and re-installed it last week....so If it was shot then why did they put it back in my car???

When the check engine light came on 20 mins. after first hearing the grinding noise when pushing the clutch all the way down, it was the first time I have ever seen the check engine light illuminated..... and I have owned this ti since 99!!!! That really scares me.

Questions: Any advice, knowledge, or assistance of any kind is greatly appreciated...

Is my understanding of this situation incorrect?

Is there anyway that this shop is being truthfull and that they are inocent of any malpractice?

How much damage could have been done by this whole thing?

What made the check enginge light come on and how much lasting damage if any could have been done?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
rustyrox

....thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
tiFreak

Vehicles

I'd suggest mentioning to them that they reinstalled a shot flywheel after (supposedly) turning it, I'm not sure if that shop has any kind of warranty on their work
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote