318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 344,337 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Alex_Forbes

Default OHH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE

Hi guys, I was driving in glasgow on friday night when the engine temp gauge hit the bright red bit on the right. I thought it might be a dodgy guage until i started seeing smoke coming from under the bonnet. I stopped and looked under the bonnet to get a blast of it in the face. I thought it best to let it just cool down and so slept in the car (IN SHETTLESTON, the 4th worst place in the UK). When i woke i turned the engine on and everything was fine for about 10 minutes and the same thing happened again. I tried to get home and the car sort of jave up at the junction at the end of my street. i pushed it down to the bottom of the street and left it there. I took me 6 attempts and a bit of gas to get it started and it doesnt sound healthy at all.

I havn't had any problems like this before or seen any in any car. I think it could need more oil as the service light is on for the oil but the seller told me that it had been done but they didnt have the tool to reset the lights..... sure. I still have a short warranty on the car so if its $hagged then i am not tooo gutted but i still love my car to bits!!!

Any Help appreciated
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Forbes View Post
Hi guys, I was driving in glasgow on friday night when the engine temp gauge hit the bright red bit on the right. I thought it might be a dodgy guage until i started seeing smoke coming from under the bonnet. I stopped and looked under the bonnet to get a blast of it in the face. I thought it best to let it just cool down and so slept in the car (IN SHETTLESTON, the 4th worst place in the UK). When i woke i turned the engine on and everything was fine for about 10 minutes and the same thing happened again. I tried to get home and the car sort of jave up at the junction at the end of my street. i pushed it down to the bottom of the street and left it there. I took me 6 attempts and a bit of gas to get it started and it doesnt sound healthy at all.

I havn't had any problems like this before or seen any in any car. I think it could need more oil as the service light is on for the oil but the seller told me that it had been done but they didnt have the tool to reset the lights..... sure. I still have a short warranty on the car so if its $hagged then i am not tooo gutted but i still love my car to bits!!!

Any Help appreciated

Ouch!!.....I think at this point you may have a head gasket problem if not a warped head, especially when a car overheats and the engine is continued to run until it gives up.
It was probably a simple fix like thermostat, water pump or radiator leak.
When you stopped the first time it overheats did you check the coolant level, it was most likely VERY low. Did you also check underneath the car if there was a puddle of coolant, or coolant sprayed all over the engine bay?
I seriously hope you didm't damage the cylinder head a this point.
Good Luck........

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
angel318ti

wow that sucks! this exact same thing happened to me except my car was impounded and I had to pay 500$ to get it out of the impound yard. My car actually warped the head and damaged the piston rings. I hope your case isn't as serious.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Alex_Forbes

Hi again, I have just had a good look around the engine bay and realised that the hose connecting the engine to the coolant thing at the frond had come loose at the engine end. I have reconnected the hose and tightend it right up. I had a look at the coolant also and it is a bit too low for my liking. However the car still wont start. I think i am going to fone the AA to find out exactly what is wrong then take it to the garage to get it fixed. As i mentioned before the car still has a little bit of warranty left on it. This covers all parts and labour so im not too worried abount mounting repair bills . now that you know what the problem was (Hose comming off) what do you think the damage to the engine is?

Thanks for all your help,

alex
Old 04-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
mohaughn

Not sure what kind of warranty you have, but I would think a lot of warranty companies will not cover damages caused by you continuing to drive the car without coolant in it. I know a lot of manufacturer warranties will not cover that type of damage caused by misuse.

The coolant hose came loose because pressure built up. Pressure could have built up because of the thermostat sticking closed, or because of the water pump failing to pump fluid any longer. When my water pump failed it seized and in turn blew the radiator, and warped the thermostat. Had I continued to drive the car, or continued to start the car without fixing the problem I would have caused head damage. More than likely you have caused head damage that is bad enough to have compromised the cylinders so the car won't really start or run right.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Alex_Forbes

ok guys the car is now starting and sounds ok. My dad is taking it for a short trip to see if anything materialises. The AA guy had a good look around and said that everything seems to be OK. I am still a bit apprehensive but things are looking promising. I will keep you updated. I obviously will not be telling the guy that i continued to drive it if things are bad
Old 04-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
drrty byl

Time for a swap. Start looking for a wrecked M3. Maybe you can talk them into swapping at no additional labor cost per the terms of the warranty.
drrty byl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Alex_Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrty byl View Post
Time for a swap. Start looking for a wrecked M3. Maybe you can talk them into swapping at no additional labor cost per the terms of the warranty.

HAHA i would have bought an M3 but due to the fact that I am only 17 and have not even passed my driving test yet... the insurance companies dont seem to take the same view as you or I.... LOL
Old 05-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Alex_Forbes

Just a wee update.

You guys were right the cylider head gasget was seriously damaged. I did say that the car was under warranty but it turns out i missed it by a couple of days. However the nice guy from oakfield motors in airdrie, scotland. (Sold me the car) told me not to worry and that he would have it fixed up free of charge. I was meant to be getting it back on wednesday there but it turns out some sensors on the manifold have melted aswell. AGAIN he is getting parts in from bmw and will have it repaired for me free of charge. He also said that he will give me recipts for what it would have cost me incase i want to sell the car to prove the work has been done.

This guy has saved my life as i really cant afford to have it fixed myself. I would reckomend buying a car from this garage to anyone.

Ps.. should have the car back this wednesday comming.

Alex
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
Mad-Machine

sounds good.. hard to find somebody honest like that
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
Mallard

Vehicles

glad to hear its going well

let us know if he keeps to his word

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote