318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,395 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,267 Views
View Poll Results: What's The Better Sport Spring?
H&R 11 64.71%
BavAuto 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
HuGo

Default H&R vs BavAuto Sport Springs

I need personal opinions on which is better. I already ordered my Bilstein Sport shocks. The Bavauto springs are 199.99 free shipping. Then i found the cheapest i can find on the H&R springs for 209.00 but the shipping is 40 bucks. I want to know the 50 dollar difference between these 2. Which is better.

For those who are interested....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-S...spagenameZWD1V

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Viper3812

Springs are springs, just the smallest of difference. Don't know if I mentioned this b4, but I have seen the H&R before and too me it did not look like it was lowered or that much cause still saw a wheel gap.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3812 View Post
Springs are springs, just the smallest of difference. Don't know if I mentioned this b4, but I have seen the H&R before and too me it did not look like it was lowered or that much cause still saw a wheel gap.
In the meet, Jaimito has the same setup im going for and his did drop. Same thing, H&R sport with Bilstein Sport.

Hey viper, what was the thing you told me i should change. Rear mount bushing, was that it?

Bavarian Autosport Shock Installation Kit - Rear

Decription:
While changing shocks, you may want to replace some common wear parts at the same time. Our shock installation kits include shaft protection tubes, and compression absorbers. Complete kit has parts to install both the left and right rear shocks. Shock Mounts sold separately.

Is this it?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Den

Re: amount of drop:
There are at least 3 different models of H&R, with different amounts of drop.

Re: $40 shipping:
That's obscene, especially since the vendor is located near you in Cali. . .another eBay shipping rip. Springs don't weigh that much.

Quote:
http://bmaparts.com/whatsnew.php?coo...event=ResetAll
H&R Springs - Superior Quality & Design

BMA now stocks H&R Springs. Engineered using the highest quality materials and industry leading design, H&R's spring kits are available in 3 different main lines, OE Sport, Sport, and Race, to fulfill every performance spring requirement.
BMA carries H&R now. Give Patrick a call and roll on over to Glendale in your bad ride to pick 'em up. I dunno what BMA's regular price is on H&R's, but I'll bet that he'll match the $209.
(If I lived in LA, I'd get almost all of my parts there.)
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Re: amount of drop:
There are at least 3 different models of H&R, with different amounts of drop.

Re: $40 shipping:
That's obscene, especially since the vendor is located near you in Cali. . .another eBay shipping rip. Springs don't weigh that much.

BMA carries H&R now. Give Patrick a call and roll on over to Glendale in your bad ride to pick 'em up. I dunno what BMA's regular price is on H&R's, but I'll bet that he'll match the $209.
(If I lived in LA, I'd get almost all of my parts there.)
I did email the seller so i can either local pick-up (i doubt it cuz they always give that BS excuse that they dont allow whouse pick or whatever) and i also asked if they do have to ship, if i can get it for cheaper since i live 45 minutes away.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
jaimito79

Hey Hugo, the picture of the H&R springs on the listing don't look the same for the Ti. The sport springs didn't really lower the rear at all, just the front. They where just stiffer. The look tappered from the top to middle and then tappered down from middle. If you noticed Cooljess' rear was slammed. Thats cuz those are race spring, but those were for a roadster. So anyhow, when you get them don't be supprised if they look different. Not sure how the Bavauto springs are desinged but, im sure you'll be fine.
jaimito79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
[COLOR="blue"]
Our shock installation kits include shaft protection tubes, and compression absorbers. . .Shock Mounts sold separately.
Is this it?
No, the shock mount is not in the pic.
Those are dust sleeves and bump stops, which, IMO, Bilstein should include with the shocks, but apparently they can get away with not including them because they're Bilstein.

You should replace your shock mounts while you are at it. Get something more beefy than the stock mounts. E46 M3 cabrio or something aftermarket.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
I did email the seller so i can either local pick-up (i doubt it cuz they always give that BS excuse that they dont allow whouse pick or whatever) and i also asked if they do have to ship, if i can get it for cheaper since i live 45 minutes away.
I would rather get BMA to price match than deal with eBay jerky. You can get the shock mounts, etc. there too. . .but knock yourself out.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
Den

http://www.namotorwerks.com/products...php/II=96/PA=0

That's about as extreme as RSM's get.
I'm not saying that you need those, or endorsing that vendor, just providing an illustration. E46 mounts work fine for some folks, others say no. Depends on how stiff your setup is and how hard you drive.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
AutoM3otives

Search. Practice what you preach. There's plenty of info on this.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoM3otives View Post
Search. Practice what you preach. There's plenty of info on this.
WTF is that supposed to mean? Anyway, nobody cares.

Hey Hugo, Rear Shock Mounts(RSMs) are usually the weak link in the rear suspension. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't. They're pretty easy to replace and not very expensive. The bushings on the other hand are a PITA to replace and I'd only recommend replacing them IF they go bad. If you want to get new RSM's I'll be happy to install those since we'll be in there anyway, but it's not absolutely necessary. As with any lowered vehicle with stiff suspension, you just have to be careful and watch out for potholes, train tracks and speedbumps. I drive my cars pretty hard and haven't broken a RSM and my bushings are still good(knock on wood). But that doesn't mean that it won't happen to you or somebody else.

Last night when PettitWC and I were driving home from Malibu, we had to drive on this really dark road for a few miles. I wasn't too familiar with the road since I don't frequently drive it, so just as a precaution I decided to use my foglights so I could see the potholes. Luckily everything was smooth and we didn't hit any. I did slow way down for the train tracks though since I wasn't sure how bumpy they would be. But that's the kind of driving you have to train yourself for. If you know the roads, then it's cool. But if you're not familiar with the condition of the road then you need to be very careful. You also have to pay attention to debris on the road as well. If you hit a rock, a dog, a piece of wood or anything more than 3 inches tall, it's probably going to hurt, so be careful.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
AutoM3otives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
WTF is that supposed to mean? Anyway, nobody cares.
It means what it says. It's plain English. Do you not understand nor are you able to read?

A proper search would result in finding a thread such as this:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8004
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
cooljess76

Quote:
It means what it says. It's plain English. Do you not understand nor are you able to read?

A proper search would result in finding a thread such as this:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8004
Dude, are you serious? Do you honesty think that I cannot read or understand English? Maybe you've confused me with my old boss at the pizza place. He can't subtract nor understand English.

I guess I should have phrased my question differently: "What was the point of your comment?" Just to crap on another one of Hugo's threads? I mean if you're gonna do so, atleast have something helpful to offer. So you found a 2 year old thread, which may I add, wasn't worth the insults. Since you're so good at searching for things, try searching for a friend.

I'm going to install Hugo's suspension and teach him while I'm doing it. Look Bro, we're all here to help eachother and make friends. That's what it's all about. Just tryin to save the guy some money and I'm not really interested in making you my enemy. If you want to be negative all the time, please do it somewhere else. Whatever type of beef you have with him, just let it go.

Anyway, on another note, we missed you at the Socal meet. Everybody got along and we had a really good time. It's pretty cool seeing that many ti's in the same place at once and I think it helps being able to put a face to a name. It'd be nice if you and everyone else showed up to the next meet in July.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
AutoM3otives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Look Bro, we're all here to help eachother... and make friends. That's what it's all about. Just tryin to save the guy some money and I'm not really interested in making you my enemy. If you want to be negative all the time, please do it somewhere else. Whatever type of beef you have with him, just let it go.

Anyway, on another note, we missed you at the Socal meet. Everybody got along and we had a really good time. It's pretty cool seeing that many ti's in the same place at once and I think it helps being able to put a face to a name. It'd be nice if you and everyone else showed up to the next meet in July.
1. I'm not your bro.
2. I am helping, I told him to search, he's bound to find something if he's patient. Just because a thread has some age behind it doesn't exact mean its outdated. I'm pretty sure the springs in question back then are no different than those today.
3. Who said I was being negative? I just say it how I see it.

If you want information that may "seem helpful", here it is:

H&R is crap. Their springs bind, namely the rears.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
cooljess76

Quote:
1. I'm not your bro.
2. I am helping, I told him to search, he's bound to find something if he's patient. Just because a thread has some age behind it doesn't exact mean its outdated. I'm pretty sure the springs in question back then are no different than those today.
3. Who said I was being negative? I just say it how I see it.

If you want information that may "seem helpful", here it is:

H&R is crap. Their springs bind, namely the rears.
1. You are being negative, in almost all of your posts and "saying it like you see it" doesn't justify being an A-hole.

2. Telling someone to search isn't being helpful, it's a smart ass remark that's usually ignored because it goes against having a forum in the first place.

3. How many people have had bad experiences with H&R's binding? Just about everybody and there mother is running H&R's and this is the first time I've ever heard anything negative about H&R springs.

and 4...

BRO!!!