318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,226 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,063 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,458 Views
View Poll Results: Good Idea or Bad idea?
Right on!!! 7 25.93%
Are you kidding me??!?! 20 74.07%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
watdawg

Question Good Idea Bad Idea?

Rhino lining on the bumpers and side skirts. Good Idea Bad idea? I have seen this done on an x3 and it looked awesome. My bumpers are in bad shape and I want them to be black. I live in an area of Alabama with dirt/gravel roads and poorly paved streets. In my photo album there are pictures of the front bumper. So doing this would solve two problems. I think it would be a good idea but I am very uncertain as to what it would look like on a ti. Any questions comments or suggestions are welcome.
watdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by watdawg View Post
Any questions comments or suggestions are welcome.
Seriously, that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I feel as though I have somehow lessend myself by participating.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
watdawg

Smile

Thanks for you input and comment! Just remember this is an honest question and that we are all friends here.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
adamud

If you have already done that and you think it looks good then do it again. Ive never heard of it on a car, but it may not look bad. Do you have any pics of it on your X3?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
watdawg

It was not my car but a car in Birmingham at a dealer.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
L84THSKY

I guess if the surface isn't too rough, it could look fine. It would definitely hold up better than stock, if it's gonna take alot of abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watdawg View Post
Thanks for you input and comment! Just remember this is an honest question and that we are all friends here.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Hmmm... my first thought was "Eeeewwwww! The texture will be far too obvious." But in the photo of the Altima, even thought it's noticeable, it's not as bad as I expected. Since your car is either a Base or Active, I think you could get away with it IF you only put the Rhino covering on the areas of the bumpers that are normally covered with the grey stuff from BMW, rather than the entire bumper. (Does that make sense? heh heh heh) If your car had the Sport bumpers, I'd suggest not doing it because the front bumper has a little more flat surface area and the texture would be more obvious.

Is there any chance that the Rhino material could be applied with less texture? Or maybe another company does something similar that ends up being smoother than that?

Do you have any price quotes or estimates?

JMJ

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
watdawg

I do not know exactly how much it would cost but it would be less than a new bumper and shipping. I thought Rhino lining was the most popular brand so I used that in my example but Line-x is the one in the picture of the Altima. I would only do the gray parts of my bumper and side skirts. I have pictures of my ti in my photo album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
Hmmm... my first thought was "Eeeewwwww! The texture will be far too obvious." But in the photo of the Altima, even thought it's noticeable, it's not as bad as I expected. Since your car is either a Base or Active, I think you could get away with it IF you only put the Rhino covering on the areas of the bumpers that are normally covered with the grey stuff from BMW, rather than the entire bumper. (Does that make sense? heh heh heh) If your car had the Sport bumpers, I'd suggest not doing it because the front bumper has a little more flat surface area and the texture would be more obvious.

Is there any chance that the Rhino material could be applied with less texture? Or maybe another company does something similar that ends up being smoother than that?

Do you have any price quotes or estimates?

JMJ
Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Will'sBimmer

what about thay clear smooth lining that bavauto sells online for the bmw's?? it is very unnoticable and precut to fit any BMW.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
watdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sBeamer View Post
what about thay clear smooth lining that bavauto sells online for the bmw's?? it is very unnoticable and precut to fit any BMW.
I am not sure which one you are talking about. I looked online but was unable to find what you mentioned. If you have a link that would be great.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
Will'sBimmer

go to www.bavauto.com Search for your year and model BMW. then go to the search bar and look for "Bra" . The search should bring up "bra's" for the Ti and you can find the clear guards there.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
watdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sBeamer View Post
go to www.bavauto.com Search for your year and model BMW. then go to the search bar and look for "Bra" . The search should bring up "bra's" for the Ti and you can find the clear guards there.
I see. The only problem with that is it would help protect the bumper in its current condition from damage. I am looking to protect, color, and add a new look to the car.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
adamud

I like the idea of the smooth one. It would hold up and last longer than any other material. And since its just for the gray parts, it would be more than fine! My opinion go for it!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
watdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamud View Post
I like the idea of the smooth one. It would hold up and last longer than any other material. And since its just for the gray parts, it would be more than fine! My opinion go for it!
I appreciate it. I am hoping for some more input from the community. I can't do anything with the bumper until late March but hopefully I can make a decision in the next week or so.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #15
Philly

my opinion.... stay a little farther back from the guy in front of you while travelling these roads..

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote