318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,060 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 57,981 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 55,450 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,120 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-12-2005, 04:57 AM   #16
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkwd318ti
So you guys think that it will be okay to put 325is brakes on the front and keep the stock ones on the back?
YES!
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:58 AM   #17
cali-ti
aka Stabby

randy, many people have upgraded to 325/8 front brakes (you need calipers, brake carriers and rotors for the 325/8 ). i'm in the process of doing this myself. it will be fine. in fact, it'll be better than fine, you'll have vented rotors in the front this is basically the same setup as the 325/8s (vented front, solid rear) and the same as the later year 318ti's (they finally went vented in ... 98 i think). nothing to worry about.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:03 AM   #18
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Default post pics of the chair mod if you would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
i can superglue a chair to my arse, but just because i can, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
let us know how the chair mod performs and by all means post pics!

that was too funny aceyx, you brightened my ****ty day (see brake forum post "e-brake cable wearing through brake hose - neato!" for why i'm having a ****ty day).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 04-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #19
lkwd318ti

Thank you everybody,
I'm kind of a newbie...so sorry for my lack of knowledge.
One last thing, That light on the dash indicating that the pads are wearing off is lit. If I get new pads with the rotors, will it automatically go off or is there a sensor that I would need to replace?
Sorry for the many questions...
Thanks again
-Randy
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
99 Titan Silver 323is Dinan S1+few more mods
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
lkwd318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 AM   #20
cali-ti
aka Stabby

don't worry about the questions randy, everybody has 'em when they join here.

yes, there is a pad wear sensor, one each front and back. check the ETK for your particular model ( www.realoem.com/bmw, you'll need the last 7 digits of your VIN, hit the BRAKES section and then it should be fairly obvious from there ).

btw, a good place to get used front brake calipers (should come with the carriers too) would be bavarian auto recycling (since you're in CA), www.usedbmwparts.com. they clean and test 'em before they send 'em out. i got my spare rear set from them. when i disassembled them (before dropping them off at the powdercoater), the pistons looked good, no rust or scoring on the piston/bore. i would give them a call if you're thinking about the swap.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 AM   #21
lkwd318ti

I'm getting vented rotors and calipers (front and rears from a 325is) from somebody at bimmerforums for $200 shipped, do you think that's a good deal, or should i pass this one up?
Now that I know that I can't fit the rears, I guess I might just go and try to sell them if I do get this set.
Besides the rotors,pads and calipers, do i need anything else? You said brake carriers earlier cali-ti. How much do they cost, and can I find them at usedbmwparts.com?
Thanks again
-Randy
Now Featuring:318ti.org sticker Now featuring: Hartge exhaust|Blacked out Grilles|Front Clear Corners or Ambers depending on how I feel|325is vented front brakes|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|E46 RSMs w/ Z3 reinforcment plates|16" Style 45s|17" E46 M68 rims|18" Authentic Hartge Classics C|OEM M135 ZHP wheels
and
Coming sometime in the future:...SCed 2.1...new (to me) car mod maybe?...all in one car
Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #22
cali-ti
aka Stabby

carriers should be coming with the caliper. carrier bolts to the caliper, it holds the inner pad and is pushed against the rotor by the caliper piston. see this diagram ... brake carrier is #2 (collar screws hold it to the caliper and it moves on the guide bolts and bushings). you should be all set if someone is sending you a used set. i paid ~$55 for a used set of 325 front calipers, forget what i paid for stock rotors from the dealer. seems like a fairly reasonable price, i guess it depends on how many miles are on them, condition, etc. are the rotors new or used?

Old 04-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #23
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I paid I think $75 each from Zionsville several years ago. Sow ith shipping that is a good price. Just be sure it comes with the bracket. Fig 2. I would also suggest rebuilding them before installing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	1805.png Views:	978 Size:	5.7 KB ID:	345  
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #24
cali-ti
aka Stabby

thanks for actually posting the diagram steven, lol ... my mind is on my own brake problems, thanks for covering

Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #25
austinpeif

as far as rear brakes go: since the ti shares an almost identical rear suspension set-up as the e30, would rear brakes off a e30 work on the ti?
austinpeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:04 PM   #26
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i think i looked up the e30 m3 and it had basically the same/very similar size solid rear rotors that we do. didn't see a point to it after that ...

Old 04-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #27
lkwd318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
I would also suggest rebuilding them before installing.
Hey Steven,
What do you mean by rebuilding?
Do you mean resurfacing the rotors so they are smooth and even?
or is it something else?
thanks again
-Randy
and
Old 04-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #28
cali-ti
aka Stabby

rebuilding the calipers. there are rebuild kits which have new seals. i'll be going through this process soon (already started it).

remove the old pads, guide pins/bushings and carriers. then you need to pop the old pistons out with compressed air (be careful when you do this as when the piston does finally pop, it shoots out - you'll need to put a piece of wood on the other side so as not to damage the piston too). also make sure to wear eye protection when you do that, you don't want any brake fluid getting in your eyes. then you need to inspect the piston and the bore for any signs of scoring, etc. if the piston is damaged, you can't get a replacement and need to get another caliper clean everything up, if you want to sandblast the outside and/or paint it, now is the time to do that. i dropped mine off to be powdercoated (completely disassembled, they'll dip 'em, tape 'em off and powdercoat them with carriers for $200) and am still waiting for them to finish up. after that, you need to put in the new seals, get the piston back in the bore with the new seals, put in the new bushing kit you got (i went with bavauto's brass caliper bushing kits rather than the rubber), carriers and carrier guide bolts, new pads, bleeder (new recommended, old if you have to - i went with speed bleeders, we'll see how those work) and then you're basically ready to install. you may want to fill it up with new fluid before you put the bleeder in and tighten it just to speed the bleeding process up a bit.

now because my car has over 200k and i'm an anal retentive freak, i ordered all new hoses, mounting bolts, brackets, etc ... if it was on the diagram and was available, i pretty much got a new one

some good links covering this topic:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/bra..._brake_it.html
http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/caliper.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-31491.html

Old 04-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #29
gooten1

I will be doing a brake upgrade soon, and this page has been most useful. I love this site!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #30
Panzer_M

just finished mine.

325 caliper
Brembo Sport Rotors(C/D)
BMW OE fluid flush
Gtech S/S brake lines.

The back rotors I am having problems with, as they are stuck to the hubs with SuperRustGlue....argh. I am going to have them done by a local BM shop here. Very good place in Orlando.
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote