318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,001,214 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
bmwgeoff

Default help help help!!!!!!!!!!

ok guys heres the story. I lent my Ti to my mom so she could go to new mexico. Car drove great, mind you im a mechanic and everything on my engine was replaced when i put a used one in from bavairian auto salvage. Ok so here is what happened... i get a call from mom saying it overheated and she is on the side of the road. She has been there for a week already. She was going to wal mart and it over heated. Had her tow it to hotel and get an appt at a good shop. radiator was bad. put radiator in went to bleed coolant out and when started coolant blew out of bottle. OMG bad head gasket!!!! So ant one in our club happen to live close to the farmington new mexico area? I have another engine but it need to be rebuilt. I dont know what to do. I live in Iowa and dont have the time to go get it or fix it. I guess im asking for ideas on what to do. I love this little car and dont want to get rid of it. Does anyone have a engine i could buy that lives in that area. My uncle has a shop in Durango CO so i would have a place to put it in. Please help guys. I'll check this thread tomorrow and she what you guys have come up with. I know there are some good guys in denver but do they have a cheap engine.... this car still runs so i dont believe the head is severley warped.
bmwgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
Ji Money

SUMBODY HALP DIS GUY!

Seriously though, good luck. I'm sure someone that can help will spot this thread.
Ji Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
Ji Money

Bump
Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
dave45056

Not my best suggestion ever, but...
what about trying some of that head gasket stuff you pour in the radiator?
If you are going to replace the engine anyway, it's worth a shot.
Sorry I don't live in the area or know anyone who does.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Ji Money

Bump?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
NHskibm

is the blown head gasket the only thing wrong? Why don't you have your uncle just do the head gasket...

Drain the engine completely. Undo the head bolts leaving EVERYTHING else attached and lift the head, the AFM, the intake manifold etc off the block and "slip" the new headgasket in there.

Or am I missing something? this should work as a temp fix to get your car home and usable until the rebuilt engine is done...
NHskibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
bmwgeoff

thats a good idea. never thought about that. see i have a head sitting here i bought from a member to put on the cars original engine. i'll probably send that head to machine shop and have it surfaced (slightly). that way i know when i do the job i wont have to wait on machining. Next question is does anyone have the cam locking plates and chain pretensioner tools i can borrow? With a deposit of course. I dont want to by them just yet see im building a drag race car and all my money is going towards that to be done by sept. Have to have it ready for the nationals. thanks guys and keep the ideas coming please i need all the help i can get..... Thanks again
Old 07-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
aceyx

What happened to the Google map showing .org members?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
NHskibm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgeoff View Post
thats a good idea. never thought about that. see i have a head sitting here i bought from a member to put on the cars original engine. i'll probably send that head to machine shop and have it surfaced (slightly). that way i know when i do the job i wont have to wait on machining. Next question is does anyone have the cam locking plates and chain pretensioner tools i can borrow? With a deposit of course. I dont want to by them just yet see im building a drag race car and all my money is going towards that to be done by sept. Have to have it ready for the nationals. thanks guys and keep the ideas coming please i need all the help i can get..... Thanks again
We just put an M52 back together. All we used was a peg to insert into the tranny to lock everything at top dead center.

Then instead of using any special tensioner tools we used the actual tensioner to get the timing right - even with the VANOS!

The M44 is a SOHC correct? (I'm not familiar with the engine as this is about to be my first one). If its a DOHC i know you can pull the head and crank the block manually to get the front piston (#1) to top dead center (and then lock it with the peg). Then with a DOHC you put your cams in the head and have the front two "lobes" up and facing each other. Then the bently shows you the rest of the way.

Grab a Bentley manual, it will tell you how to do the timing!

In the meantime send a head gasket to your mom and get that thing home!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
bmwgeoff

ok well i have access to manual type procedures through work. we use alldata. i'll go over it and see if i can do it without the tools. I could pratice on the original engine that i still have. that one blew out the coolant fitting at the back of the head. pretty much cooked the head. it has no compression on 2 and 3. but i think just putting a gasket in it and taking this other head i have with me and keep my fingers crossed. And the m44 is DOHC.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
NHskibm

Quote:
ok well i have access to manual type procedures through work. we use alldata. i'll go over it and see if i can do it without the tools. I could pratice on the original engine that i still have. that one blew out the coolant fitting at the back of the head. pretty much cooked the head. it has no compression on 2 and 3. but i think just putting a gasket in it and taking this other head i have with me and keep my fingers crossed. And the m44 is DOHC.
I thought it was a DOHC... I couldn't remember so I asked the question!

alldata should work just fine. there are places where it will say you need a cam tool and a 'pretensioner' etc. If you follow the steps 100% you'll just be able to use the crank, the pin, and the actual tensioner to get the thing timed right.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
angel318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskibm View Post
I thought it was a DOHC... I couldn't remember so I asked the question!

alldata should work just fine. there are places where it will say you need a cam tool and a 'pretensioner' etc. If you follow the steps 100% you'll just be able to use the crank, the pin, and the actual tensioner to get the thing timed right.

It is a DOHC. engines are everywhere lately. good luck sourcing one.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #13
bmwgeoff

yeah if i can locate a good used engine in the "four corners" region. and it was less than 500 i would jst put the enigne in. i could have it done in a day. these are so easy to do. but unfortunatly it looks like i'll be doing a head gasket. This sucks i love that car and i miss driving it already.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
angel318ti

Quote:
yeah if i can locate a good used engine in the "four corners" region. and it was less than 500 i would jst put the enigne in. i could have it done in a day. these are so easy to do. but unfortunatly it looks like i'll be doing a head gasket. This sucks i love that car and i miss driving it already.
tell me about it I haven't driven mine for 13 months now. I know how you feel.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #15
bmwgeoff

whats a matter with yours......engine?