318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
POCti

Default reinforcement plates

Well its time to get all the reinforcement plates for the ti and i wanna make sure i get any possible weak point taken care of. I know the rear subframe, shock mounts and sways. Is there a complete kit with everything i need or do i just have to buy it in pieces. If pieces, what all parts could use the reinforcement welded in. I've already had a shock rip out of the body so this why i want everything so i have no more issues like this.
POCti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

Rear subframe is only weak on the E36 coupe/sedan. The ti uses the E30 rear suspension. Unless you mean the rear diff mount that can tear when too much power is put through the diff using worn stock bushings.

There are reinforcements for the front subframe motor mount points, front strut tower reinforcements from the '96+ M3. Rear shock tower reinforcements from the Z3, and rear sway bar tabs can tear off the trailing arms.

AKG motorsport offers pretty much all of those reinforcement pieces.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
ti cali ed

I just have an x brace under the front of the car. I'm not sure it even needs it but it's there. I'm not sure how or why a shock would rip out of the body, would seem to me something else would of gave long before a shock coming out of the body. Shocks should only be damping for recoil from the springs. They never should hit the end of there travel to cause pull or push on the body. The braces between the shock towers front and rear help with body flex. I can't say I've ever noticed a real need for them in the ti. Now I've had fox body mustangs and can say the strut braces do wonders. On my 1965 mustang corners wouldn't happen without a strut brace. On the ti, they make them, I think they bolt in, not sure if they are going to change the brakage you have. Maybe someone more knoledgeable will chime in.
ti cali ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
BimmerBum

Vehicles

I sell the complete front and rear factory reinforcements for the shock towers and strut towers for 59.99 plus shipping. I will post a link later today.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
POCti

Ok thanks and yes i am talking about the diff ripping out some other local Ti owners had that problem and they told me to get mine fixed asap.
So i guess i can just buy any e36 front stuff and z3/e30 rear pieces? and that should cover any possible weak points? I just got to give this one more double check so sorry if its annoying but it seems like if i don't i order something wrong or do something wrong lol done it alot
Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
POCti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
I sell the complete front and rear factory reinforcements for the shock towers and strut towers for 59.99 plus shipping. I will post a link later today.
Ok cool thanks that will be great. Do they just weld in? And is a piece that goes on the bottom and the top of the shock tower?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
zoner

I was looking at those AKG rear sway bar tab reinforcements- those seem like a must if you're going to put anything larger than a stock bar back there. I couldn't believe how seemingly flimsy those tabs are the first time I saw them.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
ti cali ed

I considered you might be talking about diff. issues and not souly shocks. I've worked in a body shop for years and the few I've seen that had rear end rippage issues also had badly wore bushings. This isn't saying I've seen everything and on here I've heard of some people making monsters hp with there ti's so anythings possible. But yeah stock e36 parts fit the front, most z3/e30 parts fit there rear.
ti cali ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
POCti

Awesome this is what i need to hear now ill have this ordered next month and hopefully installed soon after.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCti View Post
Ok cool thanks that will be great. Do they just weld in? And is a piece that goes on the bottom and the top of the shock tower?
http://www.bimmerbum.com/e3fashreplki.html

No welding on these pieces, they just bolt in. The front plates go on the underside of the strut tower and the rears go above.

Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
POCti

thank you ill be ordering next month most likely but i think saw some pieces that go on the bottom of the shock tower would these be useful especially since i had one shock rip out of the body and the second is cracking about ready to go.

BTW bimmerbum checked out your site and facebook love the club sport and wagon..... i have a love for wagons not BMW either lol

Last edited by POCti; 04-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
thank you ill be ordering next month most likely but i think saw some pieces that go on the bottom of the shock tower would these be useful especially since i had one shock rip out of the body and the second is cracking about ready to go.

BTW bimmerbum checked out your site and facebook love the club sport and wagon..... i have a love for wagons not BMW either lol

The mount makes up the plate on the underside of the shock tower. The reinforcement plate sandwiches the body where the mount bolts on. An additional plate for the underside would be redundant.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the site!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
POCti

Ok thanks for all the info. I didn't know if the extra strength would be needed since it's been ripped out and whole area is cracked and chunks missing but this will be alot easier and faster so I can start driving again
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
POCti

Ok about ready to order all the reinforcement pieces but one more thing im still wondering about is the rear diff. I talked to someone else today that said to take care of that before i lose it ... is there anything for that? Only i cant find.

And ti cali ed my shock and shock mount pulled out from the bottom somehow and was told that the rear shock mounts being worn could be partly at fault and the fact of having the stiffer suspension on a unibody car puts alot of stress on it with out the reinforcement plates. I should have know when i did suspension but never thought it.

Im not to worried about this now since ive read more into it and the people that told me to do this asap had high hp swaps done like the s52 but still would like to know for future reference just in case something comes up

Last edited by POCti; 04-14-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Ok about ready to order all the reinforcement pieces but one more thing im still wondering about is the rear diff. I talked to someone else today that said to take care of that before i lose it ... is there anything for that? Only i cant find.
Every diff ear failure I have seen has been a tare about half way through it. My plan for my own car was to buy 2 diff ears and sandwich and seam weld them together, then seam weld that to the body. I have not yet tried this however. Another path would be to do a dual ear diff mount from a standard E36. Randy Forbes has a kit like this for the Z3 but I honestly feel like it would be overkill on a ti.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap