318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 983,734 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
persianbmw

Default one year later

i have a new engine with a young 130k after disentegrating the last one and my turbo lol. i have the turbo itch. using the lessons learned from the last failure i think i have the recipe to do it right with ur guys's help.
small turbo with internal waste gate hopefully went way too big last time. im thinking volvo/saab if you guys can recommend a specific one and which car its out of let me know.
also this time i around i plan on doing all the wrenching myself with the help of a welder. but besides the welding i hope to be able to do it all myself.
plan on reusing these parts
obx manifold and downpipe
intercooler. (wats left of its piping)
bov from last set up.
lc1 lambada afr (still in box)
autometer boot gauge.

parts i need new
small turbo with internal wast gate
vortech fmu or split second arc2(i cant do anything electronic for fuel management have an absurdly rare dme no one has tunes for. between the two i listed voice preference)
intercooler piping.
vacuum hoses
gaskets for flanges and manifold(places to find them how to find the size i need?)
do i need new bolts when attaching the manifold again in the same fashion as ahead?
need a pcv valve but not sure where i need them mounted if u can put that up too itd be aprreciated

if i neglected to mention anything needed. or u c a flaw somewhere please do voice it no matter how trivial i need to uncover as many roadblocks as possible. cant afford to strike out twice.
thanks in advance
persianbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

How many pound are you going to boost?
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
persianbmw

ill be happy with 6-8. i still have the bigger injectors but i dont think ill need them.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
RAiMA

What was the last setup and how did it go?
BMW E39 528i Touring
Performance at its best
RAiMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
persianbmw

a ****ty replica of what john did. only i had no clue what i was doing. eventually got it all together and half working i could never really boost past 7psi the car would just stutter and flash check engines. ultimately i blew a head gasket. then through a long ordeal a mechanic killed the engine.
it went poorly
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
RAiMA

Sorry to hear. You should have better luck running low boost.

I take it you're just going to run stock internals, leave the engine intact?
BMW E39 528i Touring
Performance at its best
RAiMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw View Post
a ****ty replica of what john did. only i had no clue what i was doing. eventually got it all together and half working i could never really boost past 7psi the car would just stutter and flash check engines. ultimately i blew a head gasket. then through a long ordeal a mechanic killed the engine.
it went poorly
Wow I never know about the flashing CEL and stuff. That was most likely detonation at work. It blew the head gasket fist then you got the head done and from what I saw it looked like mis-timing of the cams took out a valve and piston or you detonated it again and melted the top of a piston and blew it up.

It's all about the tune when you do these boost motors. I bet when the head gasket blew the piston was already damaged and it went quick after you got the reconditioned head on there. Cast pistions eat and get damaged quick with little detonation. Before you hear the issue it's too late and the damage is done. Flashing CEL is serious, never every drive in boost if a flashing CEL happens. It is either a mis-fire or uncontrolled detonation. Mis-fire ok. detonation, well you you from experience what heppens.

Let me know what year car and what DME you are running so I can recomend how best to tune this car. You need to be able to log sessions to tell what your open loop (WOT) AFR is. I even log my knock sensors so when we tune my car we can see knock coming on from too much timing or a little too lean on the fuel. It's damn near impossible to tune a car without the car being at the tuners unless you know what your doing on your end and explain every little detail to the tuner. It took almost two months to tune my car correctly over the internet, me here in Florida my tuner in Canada. It takes baby steps to not blow it up. You can't get aggressive and just go for the best tune or you will overshoot something and damage a good motor.

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 09-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
persianbmw

yeah i do know what happens. but i mean a rrfpr works perfect when mated with the dasc set ups for 200. i was thinking of a vortech +small turbo would get me 200 and id never have to worry about engine management.

i attached the dme anyway but no one tunes this damn ecu car. i reused my 93s ecu. for w/e reason the mechanics were opposed to using the 95 ecu that was originally matted to this engine idk y.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	dme1.jpg Views:	111 Size:	31.1 KB ID:	10445  
Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw View Post
yeah i do know what happens. but i mean a rrfpr works perfect when mated with the dasc set ups for 200. i was thinking of a vortech +small turbo would get me 200 and id never have to worry about engine management.

i attached the dme anyway but no one tunes this damn ecu car. i reused my 93s ecu. for w/e reason the mechanics were opposed to using the 95 ecu that was originally matted to this engine idk y.
So you are running a 1993 DME on a 1995 motor? I assume the motor is a M42 or OBD-I correct. Can you take a shot of the other DME you have?

If you plan on keeping it honest 7-8 pounds a RRFPR might be your best bet if the DME is such a odd ball. I doubt you will be able to keep it that low since we all have an issue and want to turn up the boost. I would suggest sticking with a external waste gate turbo due to fitment issues. You can always run a 8psi spring and run a small turbo. Maybe a .48 on the exhaust and a .50 on the compressor. Quick spool. If you do a internal wastegate it won't your OBX manifold and the internal wastegate makes the turbo so big it won't fit in the space and you will have to hack your frame all up

If the motor is a 1995 that could be a good thing since it would be right between the OBD swap and have both OBD-I & II sensor castings so you have lots of choices with your tuning. 130K is not too many miles but don't get all crazy and pound over 15psi in this one

Good tune and no flashing CEl and you will have a reliable fast car
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
persianbmw

ill get a pic of the dme later. im thinking maybe i shouldnt use the obx because i had to hack the frame up last time. maybe go with an m50 manifold and cap it. then ill have much more space. an internal waste gaste is preferable cause the small turbo are so tiny i dont think it will pose an issue with fitting.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Ok sounds good to me. I'm always interested in new ways to install these. This will be a great install thread so please take lots of pictures. Most people can use this since 90% would be doing your install on a stock motor instead of something like mine. The whole community could benifit from this with good pictures and a solid write-up.

Please do this for us

John Smith