318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,905 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
bmorekirby

Vehicles
Default what do you think of this turbo kit?

i am planning to turbo my 1996 ti next spring/summer. i've been looking and looking for a turbo kit so i wouldn't have to piece everything together. the only one i have found is sold by fastwayracer.com.

i was wondering if someone would mind taking a look at it and tell me if its any good. all the parts seem to be fairly generic ebay specials, but i may be wrong. if not, i'll just have to piece together. if anyone knows of somewhere else that has a better turbo kit for ti's/318's, please let me know.

here is the link if someone wouldn't mind taking a look at it:

http://www.fastwayracer.com/p918/BMW...duct_info.html

thanks,
john
1996 318ti base
1996 Land Rover Range Rover- blew up
1996 Sabb 900 convertable - sold
bmorekirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorekirby View Post
i am planning to turbo my 1996 ti next spring/summer. i've been looking and looking for a turbo kit so i wouldn't have to piece everything together. the only one i have found is sold by fastwayracer.com.

i was wondering if someone would mind taking a look at it and tell me if its any good. all the parts seem to be fairly generic ebay specials, but i may be wrong. if not, i'll just have to piece together. if anyone knows of somewhere else that has a better turbo kit for ti's/318's, please let me know.

thanks,
john

I purchased 100% of my parts off ebay except I run the BMW DME with modified code for tuning. I have to say Blahahaha on the 600-800 hp claim with the larger turbo. I actually purchased a lot of parts of this specific vendor and he was quick on shipping with a reasonable price. I will say he knows nothing about turbos for BMW's. I picked and choosed the best parts I could find and made my own kit.

I have not looked at the kit to see if it is a copy of what I purchased...

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorekirby View Post

thanks,
john

I purchased 100% of my parts off ebay except I run the BMW DME with modified code for tuning. I have to say Blahahaha on the 600-800 hp claim with the larger turbo. I actually purchased a lot of parts of this specific vendor and he was quick on shipping with a reasonable price. I will say he knows nothing about turbos for BMW's. I picked and choosed the best parts I could find and made my own kit.

John S
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
bmorekirby

Vehicles

i'm not knocking ebay parts. i'm simply wondering about the quality of the parts included in the kit. i'm just wondering is the parts in this kit will hold up.
1996 318ti base
Old 10-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

OBX manifold is good. I know nothing about the rest of the kit since no part names or numbers are listed...
Old 11-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
chinaski

everything on that looks to be a ebay special parts which, from what i have heard on BFC, is hit or miss. Ive heard good things and bad things about the ebay turbo kits, you should do a quick search on BFC before purchasing that kit.
if you buy the kit, make sure to inspect every part to ensure that there is no defect to prevent the kit from failing.
k&n intake, racing dynamics sport springs, koni yellows, DJ auto head lights: cut off mod, frenched high beam ellipsoids, 5k HIDs, Frenched fog lights with 3k HIDs, style 104 rims, blacked out grilles, smoked clear corner lights, side markers, tail lights
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
yoda

Vehicles

Hey John,
I am seriously looking at this kit, since I have a chance to get it now, please let me know ASAP if it's good to go!...
And I may be paying you a visit in Feb!

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I sent you a PM. Sorry for the late reply I've been off the board with the holidays and all. I think this kit sould do the job for your car. It is important to inspect everything and ensure all bolts on the turbo are loctite and the turbo itself is tight with the correct clearances other then that most of the items are basic turbo stuff and will work fine.

A lot of people bitch and complain about Ebay kits because non of them offer a good tuning solution and most people fail with their install and blame it on the kit.

This kit does not offer good tuning but I think the seller states that in the auction, we have your tuning all set so no issues here. I've had good transactions with this seller. Message him and ask him for a kit at a reduced price...Don't go through Ebay I always got free shipping
Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
yoda

Vehicles

I already bought it..... $1238 with shipping and taxes from the ebay auction he had. Lets hope we can do this thing in the coming months!

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Hey I'm ready if you want to leave tomorrow and be here in a few days. I do have to go get a job soon but can hold off for a while and do peace meal HVAC work. Let us set a date for this project?

I'm excited this should be fun and you will be smiling from ear to ear the first time that turbo spools and puts some Vitamin G in the seat of your pants
Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Hey I'm ready if you want to leave tomorrow and be here in a few days. I do have to go get a job soon but can hold off for a while and do peace meal HVAC work. Let us set a date for this project?

I'm excited this should be fun and you will be smiling from ear to ear the first time that turbo spools and puts some Vitamin G in the seat of your pants
Gotta wait for my tax return so I can have that extra cash for the trip...
I haven't had vitamin G since 2007!!!... Can't wait to have some again...

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #12
bmorekirby

Vehicles

i should have updated this. well, after reading the entire thread on xxxjohnboyxxx turbo install i came to my senses, and realized it was way beyond my capabilities. right around that time i found a m52 for super cheap, so i'm going to go the N/A route. i'm currently working on rebuilding it. i have it completely apart, waiting to go to a machine shop to be bored and cleaned along with rebuilding the head with all new parts. but the project is on hold due me getting my hours cut at work but i'm hoping to have it done but july/august at the latest.

cheers,
john
1996 318ti base
Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
persianbmw

i bought this kit and ended up with hell. to be fair i payed someone else to do the work, but this is by no means a "kit". none of the piping fits and the obx manifold wouldnt fit in my engine with the turbo unless my frame was notched. i dont recommend it without a smaller turbo and insane r&d time.
persianbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
xxxJohnBoyxxx

What year car, M44 or M42 engine, what size compressor on the turbo? Thanks man...John S
Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw View Post
i bought this kit and ended up with hell. to be fair i payed someone else to do the work, but this is by no means a "kit". none of the piping fits and the obx manifold wouldnt fit in my engine with the turbo unless my frame was notched. i dont recommend it without a smaller turbo and insane r&d time.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
slade13

What about the fastwayracer.com turbo kit,is it worth buying?
slade13 is offline   Reply With Quote