318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 953,142 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,652 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
jgood808

Default Bleeding radiator video

Not sure if this looks right but here is a quick video of what my radiator does when i try to bleed it....tell me if this looks normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3VeiVMq86Y
jgood808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Not at all. For starters, you shouldn't let it heat up. Do it when the engine is cold. Are you filling the expansion tank ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP? I mean you need to have the bleed screw and radiator cap off, then fill the radiator expansion tank all the way to the top, almost to the point where coolant looks like it's going to spill out. Keep pouring coolant in the fill hole slowly. You should start to see coolant flowing out of the bleed hole. The whole process shouldn't take more than a minute or two. If you're seeing steam, you're taking too long to bleed the system. Once you see a steady stream of coolant coming out of the bleed hole, replace the bleed screw and radiator cap, drive the car until it reaches operating temperature, park the car on the same incline, AND LET IT COOL COMPLETELY. Then repeat the process.

Last edited by cooljess76; 03-13-2011 at 02:05 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
jgood808

You da man Jess. I thought I was taking too long...will wait till cold and do it again. Will update to see if it changes...I am noticing a little more hot air though.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Jess is 100% right. That car in the video has vapor lock and is boiling water in the block and head and is over heating. I remove my bleed screw and add coolant until it wont take any more, I let it sit and and it will go down a but then I add more before I even stat it the first time. I like to squeeze my radiator hoses too to help move coolant into the block. I then start the car and if it doesn't start moving some water out that bleed hole, just a little and more as it starts to warm up I know I have a vapor lock. After I get it started I like to install the bleed screw and rev it up and get out bubbles and add more anti freeze with the heater unit on high heat. Then I cap it and drive for 3-5 miles then back home. Let it cool till the top hose is soft and can be squeezed easy so there is no pressure in the cooling system. Then I open it start the car and top it off.

Just my way and it works good. Jess's way is better then mine I think
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Cool Jeff, you'll get it man. It could be a little frustrating, usually takes three or four tries to get all of the air out. If I have to, I'll come down to Carlsbad and help you out
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
jgood808

Jess, anytime! @Johnboy...if the car has vapor lock, then bleeding is the only way to get rid of it? I am new to BMW and it's finicky behavior(as I am finding out through trial and error).

jeff
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood808 View Post
@Johnboy...if the car has vapor lock, then bleeding is the only way to get rid of it?

jeff
Correct but you need to bleed it enough to have the water pump primed before you start it so you don't get water boiling in your head like that. When the water starts to boil it makes steam and that steam is making your vapor lock. I always find that peoples issue is they fill the radiator then immediately start the car. If you let is sit for 10 minutes the water level will drop and you keep adding more water until it won't take anymore, tis fills the block and primes the water pump for a issue free bleeding experience.

So after you do the above: Then start the car and your water level should immediately drop since your water pump is primed now and pumping water. Your car will not have a chance to boil any water and steam lock like it was in your video since it's cold. Continue to add water and you will get a stream of water out of the bleeder. Then bump the idle and air bubbles will come out, continue adding water.

Follow Jess's instructions but if the water pump is not primed and you have any steam stop and let it cool and start over again. I think this is where everyone is having a issue. The water pump is high on our cars so the radiator needs to be very full so it can get a prime, the water pump is not a puller or self-prime pump it needs to be full of water to start pulling water and pushing it through the block to the thermostat.

Hope this helps and is not a bunch of rambling...

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Marv17

sounds like a little tank there.... But do what jess and john say, i use the same method and its easy.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote