318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 105,915 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 68,878 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,116 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
city

Default Learning To Fiberglass

Ok,
So I got a good deal on some learn to fiberglass dvd's so Im taking them off my friends hands, he said the videos are really informative and easy to follow. From seeing his work i'd take his word for it. Thing is I have always been intimidated by actually learning because I didn't think I would be able to do it, he says it alot easier than it looks and you can make crazy money because materials are cheap and demand for custom jobs are always high. My plans are just to work at it for a while and then go buck wild on the interior of my car and do up some kick panels etc etc.. I just wanted to get a little feedback from anyone learning or knows how to fiberglass. How hard do you think this skill is to learn? How hard is it to make round corners etc? And any other tips/tricks/hints etc that you could give me to get started on the right foot would be greatly helpful as I am an 18 year old with alot of motivation and the will to learn.
DASC•Custom Black Leather Interior w/ Silver Inserts•AC Schnizter:Pedals/Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle•Aluminum Gauge Faces•Alpine Speakers/Tweeters•Custom False Floor System•K&N Filter•Hi-Flow Z3/ti 97’•M3 Clutch•Lightweight Flywheel•Turner Motorsports SSK•H&R Race Springs•Racing Dynamics:Front Strut Brace/Sway Bar/Shocks/Bodykit/Rear Spoiler•Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors•Supersprint Exhaust•19” Seducer Wheels•M3 Mirrors•Clear Corner Lights/Side Markers•Euro Taillights•DZUZ Fastened•3.73 LSD
city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
L84THSKY

Glad to see you are full of motivation. You are starting at a good age. My question.....why learn fiberglassing? You would do much better learning mechanical work, such as engine, brakes and suspension. That is where you will save money on repairs, and make money helping others.

Just my opinion............

Quote:
Originally Posted by city
Ok,
So I got a good deal on some learn to fiberglass dvd's so Im taking them off my friends hands, he said the videos are really informative and easy to follow. From seeing his work i'd take his word for it. Thing is I have always been intimidated by actually learning because I didn't think I would be able to do it, he says it alot easier than it looks and you can make crazy money because materials are cheap and demand for custom jobs are always high. My plans are just to work at it for a while and then go buck wild on the interior of my car and do up some kick panels etc etc.. I just wanted to get a little feedback from anyone learning or knows how to fiberglass. How hard do you think this skill is to learn? How hard is it to make round corners etc? And any other tips/tricks/hints etc that you could give me to get started on the right foot would be greatly helpful as I am an 18 year old with alot of motivation and the will to learn.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
city

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Glad to see you are full of motivation. You are starting at a good age. My question.....why learn fiberglassing? You would do much better learning mechanical work, such as engine, brakes and suspension. That is where you will save money on repairs, and make money helping others.

Just my opinion............
In time my friend, in time
I have high hopes its just mainly a matter of time. I work on little engine projects with a friend of mine who is a ridiculous mechanic and he is only 16!!! I can't believe this kid, he is rebuilding an old Mustang and has it bagged. He is going to go to school to become a Porche mech. So whenever I ask him for help he likes to have me go over and not do it for me but have me do it with his supervising skills haha. Just being on this forum in the first place has helped me learn a TON of stuff about my car even before I was a offical member of the site, I always used it as a guide. I am undertaking alot of things at the moment too, being mech handy is something I want on the side but my dreams are to be a fashion designer and graphic artist which I will be going to school for. Kind of a clash in hobbies but hey its good to be diverse.
DASC•Custom Black Leather Interior w/ Silver Inserts•AC Schnizter:Pedals/Shift Knob/E-Brake Handle•Aluminum Gauge Faces•Alpine Speakers/Tweeters•Custom False Floor System•K&N Filter•Hi-Flow Z3/ti 97’•M3 Clutch•Lightweight Flywheel•Turner Motorsports SSK•H&R Race Springs•Racing Dynamics:Front Strut Brace/Sway Bar/Shocks/Bodykit/Rear Spoiler•Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors•Supersprint Exhaust•19” Seducer Wheels•M3 Mirrors•Clear Corner Lights/Side Markers•Euro Taillights•DZUZ Fastened•3.73 LSD
Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Default Fellow fiber-er....

I do carbon fiber and fiberglass work all the time. I can answer any questions you have. If you are going to get serious about it, you might want to look into a vaccum bagger setup. It allows you to mold glass or carbon to whatever shape you want, plus it sucks out any extra resin. I also have a good friend that is a carbon/glass wholesaler. I can get you ANY KIND of material. He has different colors and sizes. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
city

How much is a vaccum bagger setup and where can they be purchased? Also, how easy are they to operate and how moveable are they, since I am planning on moving into an apartment soon to attend school. Thanks for the help
Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
96cali

I have only used it for house projects and such but don't be a cowboy about protecting your lungs, eyes, hands , etc. Especially if you have aspirations of graphic/fashion design. It's a good habit and you'll thank yourself in 20 years. BTW I'm an industrial designer- where do you want to go to school?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city
How much is a vaccum bagger setup and where can they be purchased? Also, how easy are they to operate and how moveable are they, since I am planning on moving into an apartment soon to attend school. Thanks for the help

http://composite.about.com/od/aboutc...l/aa000109.htm

http://www.tapeease.com/vacuum_bags.htm

You will have to do some research on this stuff. I don't use a bagger, never have, but I hear they work good. Usually the stuff I make I like to "massage into place" with my hands. My suggestion is to just try it, see if you like it, then go from there.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
city

Default DustenT

Dusten, Good looking out. I need to go pick up the dvd's and start reading up alot and getting alittle bg info before I dive into this . I do have your email so i'll let you know if I have trouble or questions.
Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:20 AM   #9
Carstereopro

I build stuff all the time with Fiberglass.

My only advice, PRACTICE!

the more you practice, the better you'll get at it.

http://usera.imagecave.com/carstereo..._1572-copy.jpg
Carstereopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
city

UPDATE**
I've watched the videos many times already and Im trying to memorize the steps involved. Its alot easier than I was thinking earlier. Seems like an art project you would create in school, within the next week or so I am going to gather all the materials I need and attempt my first project. I will post pics if anyone is interested. Hopefully within a few weeks I can have a set of custom kickpanels. Wish me luck!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
city

Default My First Piece

So today, I finished getting all the materials I needed to get on with my first project. All I wanted to do was mold my gauge pod to my driver's side pillar, and within about 3 hours I was done. Im pretty proud of it being my first attempt, I didnt paint piece obviously because im a newbie and their were a few minor blemishes that the paint would make stand out. Instead I used some left over headliner fabric and redid both pillars to make the job look more factory*ish. What do you guys think??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	first piece.jpg Views:	208 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	423  
Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #12
MEDIA PUSHER"

looks real clean from here city