318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,373 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,313 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,673 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,869 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
J!m

Vehicles
Default Short Shift option for Swap guys

Hello everyone.

As most of you know, I did my engine swap many years ago now, and at that time I tried to install the M3 shift lever to get a bit shorter throw without a huge increase in effort.
(NOTE: you can't have a shorter throw without an increase in effort)

At that time, I found that using the S52B32 with the original ti Getrag transmission and modified (shortened) arm and mount resulted in very little clearance between the shift arm and the balancer on the drive shaft. In a nut shell: the M3 shift lever cannot be used with this configuration.

What is needed, is a lever with the same (or less) distance 'under the ball' to clear the balancer. The photo below shows some common shift levers and their relative lengths:

And this photo shows another variety, with the stock ti shifter on top (with 120K so excuse the condition); Z3 1.9 in the middle (top shifter in the first photo) and the M3 on the bottom.

Between the two of them in the second photo, you can see what will work and what will not. The Z3 1.9 is what I have installed now, and I love it. Although it is slightly longer than the stock ti shifter 'below the ball' it does fit. Clearance is very tight (3mm or so) in reverse, but otherwise 5mm or more, which I am comfortable with.
(NOTE: if you have solid engine and transmission mounts you could get away with less clearance)

It has enough 'nochiness' to give positive feedback that it is in gear (which I appreciate), but it is not as difficult as the stock M Roadster shifter for example, where literally two hands are needed to get into reverse (for a woman I know who has owned an M Roaster since new). I was amazed the first time I saw her do this, but it is quite stiff going into reverse. That is the ZF transmission of course, so the Getrag may be easier? I don't know but someone else may have that experience to share.

Other options that will work in our case (swap guys with the ti tranny) are the Z4 2.5 shift lever, but that will be shorter than the Z3-1.9 and therefore more stiff/notchy. That will be 'softer' than the Z3-M shifter, but will actually fit, unlike the Z3-M shifter which will not fit in our swap configuration due to the long length 'below the ball' as shown.

The final thing to consider when changing shift lever is the physical height of the shifter ball in the console once installed. As you can see, the height ABOVE the ball indicates the position of the shifter in the console- how it relates to you, the driver. The Z3-1.9 shift ball location is ~1/2 inch low from stock ti location and the Z4-2.5 is another ~3/4 inch or so below that. I do not like the look of a 'sunken shift ball' and feel personally the Z3-1.9 is the best compromise on all fronts. In a track car with no center console, this is less of an issue and function is more important than appearance of course and in that case, I would probably go for the Z4-2.5 lever for the slightly shorter throw.

In conclusion, for those with a swapped ti that retains the Getrag transmission, in addition to the stock lever, you can use the Z3-1.9 lever (as I have used) or the Z4-2.5 lever, with the Z4-2.5 lever having the shortest throw and therefore highest effort. The shift ball will be lowest in the console as well with the Z4 lever and the Z3 lever drops the shift grip about 1/2 inch below stock ti location.

I received the lever and a full 'rebuild' kit from Ed (BimmerBum here) and everything went as smooth as silk as usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	BMW shifter comparison.jpg Views:	856 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	12871   Click image for larger version Name:	BMW shifter comparison2.jpg Views:	872 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	12872   Click image for larger version Name:	New Shifter 001.jpg Views:	847 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	12874  

Click image for larger version Name:	New Shifter 002.jpg Views:	829 Size:	31.1 KB ID:	12875  

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Nice write up! Great information as usual.

I will have a Z3 1.9 lever in my Club Sport as well.

PS: The Motorsport International badge below your shifter is NLA so put some saran wrap on that or something.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
J!m

Vehicles

Well, I guess I'll have to see if I can find a spare. I only bought one when I got it (like an idiot) so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled...

Need the Motorsport door handles, red seatbelts and the upper and lower Gurney strips for my wing...

Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
BimmerBum

Vehicles

They went NLA over a year ago... none available anywhere.

Lower gurney strips?

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

Upper and lower strips.

They are unique, with two different numbers.

Often two uppers are used but they are different (and have to be correct if on my car of course!)

Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
wolferj-RIP

Jim, I am currently using a M3 shift lever in my swapped ti with the original Getrag trans. I originally put in the Z3M shift lever, but I did not really care for how notchy it was and it actually grazed the balancer.

My selector rod is bent slightly due to the rearward mounting of the trans from the stock position and I am running the red UUC poly trans mounts. I have no clearance issues.

I really like the detail you put here, I'll consider the Z3 1.9 shift lever in the future.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
Jim, I am currently using a M3 shift lever in my swapped ti with the original Getrag trans. I originally put in the Z3M shift lever, but I did not really care for how notchy it was and it actually grazed the balancer.

My selector rod is bent slightly due to the rearward mounting of the trans from the stock position and I am running the red UUC poly trans mounts. I have no clearance issues.

I really like the detail you put here, I'll consider the Z3 1.9 shift lever in the future.
So what did you do for shift mount and selector rod? Did you shorten as well as bend the rod? Use a mount from a 325? I am curious how/why some people have more clearance than others in this regard.

I shortened my selector and mount but did not add any additional bends to the rod. Maybe I should have 'half moon' bent the rod rather than cut it and then I would not have these clearance issues?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
wolferj-RIP

No change in the mount, just bent the selector rod at an angle. I don't know if I have any pictures of it, I will have to search my archive.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

The S50 must sit differently in the chassis, because I had to remove over an inch from my shifter mount and selector rod.

If you did not alter the mount, your shifter is sitting in a different location, and you obviously have a lot more clearance because of it.

I thought the S50 and S52 mounted the same, but maybe the S52 is more rearward in the chassis...