04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,358 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Massive Lee

Default New rear Racebrake kit for 318Ti

I hope it is okay to post this here. If not, please remove.

Allow me to introduce this exclusive new rear kit for 318Ti and Z3s. Rotors are 310mm x 32mm and dirt cheap to replace at around $120/set. The thick 32mm rotors allow extra efficient cooling for racing. The steel ring is the optional handbrake. No other supplier offers a rear kit for 318Ti and Z3s, and it is great for those of you who went to 5 lug conversion on your e30 using 318Ti rear hubs.

Race kit is $1550usd + $85usd pads. Optional handbrake ring for street use is $250usd. Rear calipers are custom ordered from Wilwood.

Perfect match for a front 13" or 14" kit. 14" kit shown below.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
blndweasel

I think I just drooled a little bit...

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
thesk8nmidget

DAMMNN!!

this comes with calipers too?
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
mohaughn

Yeah, it comes with the wilwood calipers shown. I think his website has different lighter calipers you can run. I think wilwood are great calipers. They don't have the marketting hype behind them like brembo calipers, but that allows them to keep the cost down.

This level of wilwood calipers are certainly much better than the brembo gran turismo calipers..

I can change a set of brake pads on the front of my car in about 30 minutes by myself.. And most of that time is removing the tires and jacking the car up. Remove the bridge bolt, spread the pistons back out, pull the old pads, drop the new ones, put the bolt back on...

It is also a great price on a two piece rotor. Which really helps keep from overstressing the rotor from heat expansion. Notice that the hub part mounts to the disk. Very similiar to the E46 M3 euro floating rotors(except the BMW rotors are not removable, no bolts), that cost about two to three times that replacement cost.

I've switched to the centric e46 m3 rotors up front because I can't afford the BMW two piece rotors or any comparable rotors from companies like performance friction and AP.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Massive Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
DAMMNN!!

this comes with calipers too?
Calipers are included. But not pads. They are extra. I was able to have Wilwood replace the extremely expensive two-piece pistons by one-piece stainless steel pistons, just as in the front kit, and ditch about $200 off per caliper.

Those clampers are quite stiff and have nothing in common with cheaper Dynalite clampers. Pads are quite thick at 21mm, while most everyone else use 16mm pads. Once the wheel is removed, it takes about 1 minute to remove the bridge bolt and the old pads, a couple more to spread the pistons by hand and insert the new pads. Figure out under 5 minutes per side.

Unlike street calipers with aluminum pistons and rubber boots, the SL4R (and SL6R) have pistons that will isolate your brake fluid from the pads' heat as stainless steel acts as a thermal barrier. And no rubber boots that melt and keep pistons from retracting, while allowing dust scratch the aluminum pistons. The calipers are perfectly street worthy.

Also, some users prefer other brands of pads such as PF, Hawks, Carbotech, Ferrodo or any other major brand, so why making them pay for a pad they won't use? Personally I track my cars with Wilwood E compound and love it. Long lasting, smooth on rotors, and non-abrasive dust.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
clex2

Finally, it's about time someone made a BBK for the rear. Granted, unless you are in a high HP swapped ti, it's extreme overkill, but nice bling nonetheless. I tried a Brembo BBK a while back that tirerack advertised for the ti but turned out to be a kit for the "other" e36s. If I used this kit, though, the rear rotors would be larger than what I have on the fronts (Brembo 286mm). I would also have issues with two different brand calipers. I would consider this if I needed a 4 wheel brake upgrade, but as it stands, I am sure my front BBK and stock rear brakes are up to the task. I have never had any hint of fade at any track events.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Massive Lee

I totally agree that this rear kit is overkill for most drivers. I initially designed that kit for a bunch of racers using high power motors on all-out track cars. Nonetheless people who already have front fixed calipers will appreciate the extra modulation, and stiffer brake pedal that a complete kit can offer.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
clex2

Massive,

BTW, the pieces look very nice. Like fine art in my eyes.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 04-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
DocDuvi

whats your site?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Massive Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDuvi View Post
whats your site?
Official website
www.massivebrakes.com

The parts factory (think tank-development albums)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rts%20Factory/

Website is still missing a few pictures, one or two prices must be adjusted (rear e36 kit is $1500usd, while rear 318Ti is $1550usd). But overall all the info is there.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Massive Lee

I just installed a rear kit on a local 318Ti racecar with US 3.2 M3 motor. The car will be used this weekend in a 3 hour enduro at Mosport, Ontario. Can't wait to hear the outcome. I will post pictures of the car as soon as I can get some. In the meanwhile, allow me to present the new e24, e28, e34 front 14" kit. It uses huge 355mm x 32mm Wilwood SVGT rotors and W6A calipers. That kit aims basically at the tracked Big Six. Yes, I know. Just as with the rear 318Ti kit, that's another very limited niche market... I just got the first untits from the anodizing shop and did some test fitting. They are not yet on the website.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
thesk8nmidget

very nice! and let us know how the testing goes!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
Closed Thread