318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,055,575 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
lysergicsurfer

Default Mz3 complete suspension questions

I need some opinions from 'experts'. I am not asking if it will fit, or even if it is a good idea. I have already purchased a full used setup with 55k miles(carfax checked) and I will be replaceing my h&r race/koni adj. With this setup. I am only missing the mz3 strut mounts right now and I'm wondering if I can install the new struts with my stock mounts for just a few weeks until I can buy brand new ones? I understand I may lose a degree or two of negative chamber but would there be other side effects? I will be buying new rear mounts just because my are old, do upgraded rear mounts add any performance, what about comfort? Who just cheap stiffer ones be okay. Like meyle or would I get better performance from another inexpensive mount? Is there anything else I should upgrade or replace right now? I am trying to get the best performance possible with this setup at this ride height, in the future what could I do to get the most performance keeping this ride height with these stock springs? Thanks for anyhelp I have read everytheard mentioning mz3 on this forum and just can get any of these answers.
lysergicsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Bluebimma

Youll be fine, just make sure your hats are the larger versions for the spring diameter. 96+ springs have the correct diameter.

Z3 reinforced shock mounts are all you need. Any new suspension bushing will be a plus. Sways are fun as well, if you have them from the M, thats good, if not, youre not missing much. New endlinks and sway bushings help a bit as well, keeps things tight, noise levels down.

Youre going to love this suspension on the car, though, your previous setup seems like it would ride a bit like this but lower.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
lysergicsurfer

My car is a 95... So they wont fit on the mz3 springs? Should I even bother trying to find used mz3 strut mounts, or would that be too much of a gamble? Maybe just get some non-m 96+ mounts for now, since I know those are plentiful and cheap?

Yea I enjoy the way the car handles, its just way to low for me. I have powerflex bushings up front(I would like to do the rear soon too), x-brace, and racing dynamics sway bar up front with stock rear sway. Does the mz3 have the strut sway mount? I am sure that may help a little if it does. Would you recommend maybe the mz3 rear sway bar, or will that not add much? I am probably running out of options for adding performance without going lower... Perhaps trying to add some negative chamber. Reversing the mz3 strut mounts add about -2 of chamber right? So maybe add the -1 washer/shims(cheap) for a total a ~-3 may help a bit. Or is this just wishful thinking?

I am not sure why I am getting ahead of myself, I should just get this working first!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Bluebimma

When i flipped my hats, i was around -3.5 or so. I havent had the m rear sway, just sport/clubsport sways. As far as strut mounts go, any other non-m mount is going to be much cheaper. True camber kits mated with a stock hat would be the best option. All e36 based m struts have the endlink attach points on them, rather than on the arms. Ive been told, by TCKline, run the largest sway possible bolted to the arms, not the strut. Dont understand why, but thats what they said. They also said to remove the rear sway so it would come out of the corners better. The only other thing they said is 500lb front springs along with 450lb rear springs. You definitely arent near those specs, so i dont think it applies.

Ive installed coils, xbrace, strut brace, m3 centered control arm bushings, sport sways, and soon camber kits front and rear.Great setup thus far, need bushings though.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
mohaughn

Yeah, not sure why Pete from TcKline likes to have the front swaybar mounted to the control arm. I did mine to the strut with GC adjustable links. Pete/Tc is one of the only vendors I've seen recommend doing it that way. Most other suspension people seem to think using the strut with properly set up end links is the best way to go.

Maybe Pete/Tc have just seen enough people try to put it on the strut with non-adjustable links where you have a ton of pre-load you can't do anything about.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
lysergicsurfer

I have been driving with the new mz3 suspension and it feels like it is made for the car. It has all settled now and I have driven up to 100mph just seeing how everything feels. I haven't pushed too hard yet, waiting for my new rear tires to get here this week. Obviously the H&R race springs make the car feel much more connected, but only on a very smooth and flat surface do I feel any advantage. The H&R springs made me feel almost nervous going around a sharp turn at high speeds. If I hit a bump turning hard I would feel a loss in traction, not to mention a jerk in the steering wheel which could easily make someone not experienced with high performance driving quickly lose control. I would be willing to put up with that if I went to the track more or competed in autocross. I dont care about winning or racing, I just want to have as much fun as possible. Im much more confident with this setup, especially at higher speeds. There is a tiny bit more of body roll, still about 90% less than a stock ti. I still can connect the front sway to the strut, and run the sway bar stiffer(its adjustable), as well as run a thicker rear sway. So with these completed it may have a body roll-less ride similar to the race springs. The struts I installed were ok, but I want to install new ones to make the handling much more similar to a brand new MZ3(which is my goal).

I measured the cars height changes, measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip, center of the fender. Right and left sides where Identical. Empty gas tank, empty car with full interior(cloth).
H&R race=Front-23 3/8
Rear-24 1/4

MZ3=Front 25
Rear 25

It is everything I hoped it would be, I high recommend it. Especially for how cheap one can buy a setup for from a mz3 owner who has recently upgraded.

Anyone know where I can get the cheapest Shocks/struts available.
My local Autozone/advanced only has Bilstein sports available, for almost 700 for all for corners.
My local NAPA didnt have anything available on the computer.
Cheapest I can find online is SHOX.com, Bilstein touring for 279.

I would consider KGB, monroe, anything that I can get for cheap to hold me over for a year or so. Anyone?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
Bluebimma

Monroe is actually pretty good. Ive run them for 10k on my ti with mz3 springs, they were pretty nice.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
lysergicsurfer

Just after posting that post i left my house to go get some food. I ran over a chunk of aspalt about 2 inches in diameter, destriying a rim(discontinued milli migilia) and a tire that is less than a month old. I ordered two new rear tires thursday night after installing the new suspenion. I wont have money to fix the rim for a couple weeks, that will be a month until i can drive my car hard and see really what this new setup can do. I dont think i would be dissapointed with the monroe as long as they last a year or so. I havent been able to find them, i have looked at all the stores around as well as online with no luck. Do you know of any websites?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Bluebimma

I bought mine directly from napa. Which mille did you destroy, i still have one left in the garage.