318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,024,620 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
impyboy

Default girly car?

There seems to be quite a few posts where people are buying the TI for their daughters..

first of all, how I envy you girls who are lucky enough to have a bimmer given to you!

2ndly, do you reckon the Ti is a girly car?
impyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

It's not a girly car,they are very cheap now,you can buy one for 3-5k and they are reliable. The last guy who bought one for his daughter already had a bmw and must really like them if he bought one for his daughter. I paid 17k for my ti 5 years ago.

EDIT: If it's a girll car why did you buy one? So you'd fit in?
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
SDKmann

No its not a girly car. The fact is that girls like BMWs too. The 318ti is a cheap car that would be a great compromise for dad and daughter, cheap for him BMW for her.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
tastade

I hate the discussions of what is a girly car and what isn't. There is no such thing as a girl car or a manly car. I know women that drive 400+ hp cars that would usually be considered a guys car, and guys (like myself) that drive 75 hp girly cars. You don't have to be manly to handle that much hp (400+). I know a lot of men that cant, but think they can.

Many guys are too worried what their friends will think of them if they buy something that is girly. This is just being insecure. Who cars what those guys think, buy what you will have fun driving. Also buy what fits your needs. The 318ti can get more than 30 mpg on the highway, that can't be said for a Hemi Dodge Magnum that averages around 15 mpg.

My personal opinion is that you should buy something that women like, not something that your guy friends like. A Dodge Magnum could be considered a guys car, it is purchased by about 85% males. How many women are you going to attract with that car?

At work when we had a bunch of BMWs lined up out back, there were E36 M3s, a modified E36 3 series, a brand new 3 series, and my bright red 318. When we were out looking them over, the first thing one of the women said was, "ooh, I like the cute red one" Does that make it a womens car? Nah, it was based on color more than anything else.

By sorting cars into girls and boys cars, you are over generalizing and you have to be careful. There can be tendancies for women or men to like a specific kind of car, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I would say the 318ti is probably split as far as men v women.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
L84THSKY

The VW Cabriolet is still a girly car.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastade
I hate the discussions of what is a girly car and what isn't. There is no such thing as a girl car or a manly car. I know women that drive 400+ hp cars that would usually be considered a guys car, and guys (like myself) that drive 75 hp girly cars. You don't have to be manly to handle that much hp (400+). I know a lot of men that cant, but think they can.

Many guys are too worried what their friends will think of them if they buy something that is girly. This is just being insecure. Who cars what those guys think, buy what you will have fun driving. Also buy what fits your needs. The 318ti can get more than 30 mpg on the highway, that can't be said for a Hemi Dodge Magnum that averages around 15 mpg.

My personal opinion is that you should buy something that women like, not something that your guy friends like. A Dodge Magnum could be considered a guys car, it is purchased by about 85% males. How many women are you going to attract with that car?

At work when we had a bunch of BMWs lined up out back, there were E36 M3s, a modified E36 3 series, a brand new 3 series, and my bright red 318. When we were out looking them over, the first thing one of the women said was, "ooh, I like the cute red one" Does that make it a womens car? Nah, it was based on color more than anything else.

By sorting cars into girls and boys cars, you are over generalizing and you have to be careful. There can be tendancies for women or men to like a specific kind of car, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I would say the 318ti is probably split as far as men v women.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
nusstroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by impyboy
There seems to be quite a few posts where people are buying the TI for their daughters..

first of all, how I envy you girls who are lucky enough to have a bimmer given to you!

2ndly, do you reckon the Ti is a girly car?

When i told my boss i was buying a Ti, he said it was a girl car at first too....
i dont know why though, hes dumb.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
PettitWC

It's not a girly car, I took some flak too but it was well worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
they're still a blast to drive though...

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
GDB

The ti is a very manly car. All the girls that drive them are just hairy butch women.

jk. (atleast I hope I am).
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
tastade

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Haha, even after my rant above, I will agree with you on that That doesn't mean I wouldn't drive one though, and I am not small (or a girl)
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
davep-uk

the only girly car i can think of is the MGF!

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
GDB

you've forgotten about the most feminine car ever, the New beetle convertible.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
michaelhofastcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
I am yet to see a man driving a new beetle convertible. Also need some solid statistics of how many VW Cabrio owners are women, in order to prove the point.
michaelhofastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
pdxmotorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastade

So I have 4 friends with the Magnum hemi's.
They all consitantly get between 24 and 32 MPG highway. The VDT engine management is cool.....
And they will still lay down about 75 feet of rubber on demand....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
nusstroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB

O M G, I KNOW. I F*****G HATE THAT CAR. My friend (that is a girl) has one, she let me drive it, its SO BAD. she said it was inline 6, i said NO WAY after i drove it (it accelerates like my brothers carolla). It is an I6..... uhg
and the BRAKES ARE HORRIBLE.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
pdxmotorhead

They do build a Vr6 bug as I recall, Surprised its that bad, its the same platform as the Jetta. And the Vr6 jetta's kind of scoot pretty good...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote