318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,517 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,409 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #31
yoda

Vehicles

Hugo, It all depends on the type of connection from the source to the tv, to the receiver. I wouldn't trust cable to carry FULL HD res programming when they keep compressing the material more and more to accommodate the volume of channels on the same OLD line... SAT is better if you're looking for better HD. If you are hooking up your 360 using the YELLOW (composite) video cable, then you're using the worst connection to view High res content, now if you're using the RED/GREEN/BLUE connectors (COMPONENT VIDEO) then you're getting up into HD realm or HD capable connection. HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is completely digital and carries both Video and Audio signals through that connection. The new 360's even the Arcade versions come with HDMI output, and I think PS3 are HDMI. For the image to be considered HD it has to be of 720p or higher (lines of resolution), True HD is 1080i or 1080p, DVD's are 480p (which is better resolution than what you get from regular cable. When it comes to SOUND, if it isn't coming from the HDMI or the Toslink/FiberOptic/Optical cable then it is not True 5.1/6.1/7.1 Surround Sound (Dolby Digital, DTS), if it's coming from the red & white RCA's you're getting an analog stereo downmix. The 360 is not a very good DVD player, it tends to darken the image a bit, I haven't tried a PS3 yet, but from what I've read you're better off just buying an actual BR player unless you're planning on playing a couple of games here and there. Burnt DVD's from your computer, unless they're a clone from an actual movie DVD, will not give you the actual picture quality and even audio you want. Hope this Helps a bit.... BTW... I'm a great warthog gunner as long as I have a badass driver
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #32
wolferj-RIP

Just to add more fuel to the fire, statistics released today show that gamers log more time on the PS3 (like twice as much) as the xbox and wii... Don't know that that means... just thought it was an interesting factoid...

And BTW, Hugo, when did you get let out of the cage? Welcome back to the rest of the forum!
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #33
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
BTW... I'm a great warthog gunner as long as I have a badass driver
I'm great at both, but I hate the passenger. It's freaking ridiculous. You can't aim with that unless you're driving on a even surface. Maybe we should hook up in the game (only if you play on comp). Btw, I've been unbeatable for the past 4 months. It really helps when you have a partner you can really trust. Though I don't play as much as I used to anymore.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #34
HuGo

i have the green/blue/red connectors for my 360. As for the PS3 its the normal yellow/red/white. Ima buy the green/blue/red cables for the PS3 to keep in my room for whenever i want to watch blueray movies. Either way with the white/red cables the sound was krazy. Kinda hard to picture it sounding even better with the other cables when it sounds hella krazy as it is. Now yoda, with all that digital 5.1 and all that what not im still confused on what you're saying. haha.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #35
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
And BTW, Hugo, when did you get let out of the cage? Welcome back to the rest of the forum!
New years

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #36
hotmilk400

i dont know if i saw it on here or not, but the HDMI cables are video + sound, so no need for the extra cables if you dont want them. i have the hdmi + digital audio for my ps3 + hdtv. i didnt see a difference in quality with the digital audio cable, but i dont have any special speaker setup, just larger PA speakers.

you can get some nice digital audio + hdmi cable packages once in awhile on the Internet for a really nice price. (maybe like buy.com or ebay) i know i got my hdmi cable from buy.com for like $10 shipped. there isnt a huge jump in quality for the more expensive ones. normally the short ones, weather cheap or expensive, will have the same quality. the longer ones, (+6ft) needed to be a larger wire, and a higher quality material all around, but still no need for the cables that are $50+ ) the expensive ones are normally just jacked up in price because they know people will by expensive stuff if they don't know what is special about it. the only major difference is that some of the expensive ones are shielded, which basically protects the cables from surrounding electromagnetic waves. to be sheiled means it have a thing piece of grounded metal, like tin foil, raped around the wire to protect it from electromagnetic waves in the air. these cables (and every cable that isnt used for power) must stay at least 2 inchs away from your power sources (wires for the tv/ps3/audio receiver, or the receptical in the wall itself) basically if you have any cable withing 2 inch's of an ungrounded powersource, that cable weather it is telephone, hdmi cables, audio cables, or just a low voltage wire, will have nasty side effects from the power cable. reason being, the power cables use AC type power, the AC power natrually uses 60 Hz (50Hz euro). these frequencies radiate from the wire and can effect surrounding things. normally they are harmless or to weak because there is a ground within the 2 inchs that obsorbes the electromagnetic waves, but if there isnt, the smaller , non-power cable will absorb the waves.

when a power cable is close to audio, you can here a buzzing or ringing sound. this is most popular with unprofessional car audio installations. people might have spent whatever amount of money either changing there head unit or installing amps, and now they hear an annoying hiss in there speakers. this is the Hz of a power cable effecting a non-shield audio cables. same with telephone, if its not 100% perfectly clear, there is a power cable in the wall thats to close to the telephone wire. i would imagine the same goes with HDMI cables. the stores mark up the shield cables because then they can brag that it will remove any poor picture that a cheap one causes, but basically the cheap on is just to close to a power cable.

Solution:
a cheap fix if u can not get the cable out of the 2 inch radius of a power cables, just rap the cable in tin foil or other metal, and for best results, ground the wire to the outlet or radio.

basically, take the thin metal and rap a thin layer around the hdmi or audio cables that are to close, and then strip solid wire (only needs to be like 22 - 16 awg wire) and wrap the wire around the metal,(just enough to keep the metal around the wire, nothing special). then, either loosen a screw on the back of the radio, remove the paint on the screw or the metal, and ground the wire that way, or ground the wire with your outlet. it might seem like i have smoked something before hand, but this is the cheapest and most practical way to protect your cables.

if you don't have protected cables, you can destroy your tv or speakers over time. basically extra voltage is leaking into that sensitive wire from the power cable throw the air. the extra voltage might be meaningless, but if the power cable would draw alot of power, or generate alot of power (like a car, or amp) then the extra power will be to great, and probably wreck a few things.. in most cases you shouldn't be effected because most larger cables have a ground included in the power cable. the ground is not only used for a protecting against a short circuited, it also removes this extra voltage that emits in the air.

and, if u do anything like TIfreak, and put neons under the tv or radio (or even if u are just installing them in your car) U MUST MAKE SURE that if there is a wire going from the light to the transformer, it is FAR away from any audio cables. these wires, if used in AC or on a car, will generate crazy electromagnetic waves if u are to close to them.. =]

if any one else has a question concerning audio + video , weather home or car, let me know =]
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #37
ATF

The Notebook on BluRay, hollerrrr....

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #38
Maverix

Vehicles

GTFO!! No way! I didn't know they started implementing them on to laptops. Btw, is your laptop a Sony Vaio? They're the only ones that I can imagine them doing this.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
~Jess
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #39
yoda

Vehicles

HuGo,
The only way to get 5.1 is through the Digital Audio Out (Fiber Optic/Toslink/Optical Cable) or the HDMI. The Red & White RCA's are a ANALOG Stereo Output (NO 5.1), your receiver can decode a Dolby ProLogic Mix out of them but they'll never be as GOOD and the TRUE 5.1 Digital.
HDMI carries VIDEO and AUDIO, there's no need for any other cables unless your receiver doesn't have the HDMI connection and you need the Optical...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #40
ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverix View Post
GTFO!! No way! I didn't know they started implementing them on to laptops. Btw, is your laptop a Sony Vaio? They're the only ones that I can imagine them doing this.
I'm afraid you misunderstood.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1394649

BMWCCA #403399
Loaded
Traded
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #41
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
gtfo
~Jess
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #42
aceyx

First, it's Blu-Ray or BRD. I know it seems like splitting hairs but it's like having someone mispronounce or misspell your name.

Second, I had this whole thing typed out but just use the best cables that your components (TV, receiver, player) allow. In most cases this is an HDMI 1.3a cable and Optical Digital (TOSLink) or Digital Coax (orange RCA input). Digital Coax just has to be any shielded RCA, there's nothing special about it. If your receiver supports and can decode Dolby TrueHD then you'll just need two HDMI cables. I generally get mine from monoprice.com (go with 28AWG for HDMI).
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #43
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
First, it's Blu-Ray or BRD. I know it seems like splitting hairs but it's like having someone mispronounce or misspell your name. Second, I had this whole thing typed out but just use the best cables that your components (TV, receiver, player) allow. In most cases this is an HDMI 1.3a cable and Optical Digital (TOSLink) or Digital Coax (orange RCA input). Digital Coax just has to be any shielded RCA, there's nothing special about it. If your receiver supports and can decode Dolby TrueHD then you'll just need two HDMI cables. I generally get mine from monoprice.com (go with 28AWG for HDMI).
THERE IS NO DOLBY TRUE HD!... This is something SONY came up with to make the transfer to BRD or Blu-Ray more appealing than having better picture. In order for you to have TRUE HD Audio you need Pro Audio Gear to PLAY it on, no consumer based gear out there is equipped to DECODE or Translate Audio at 24 Bits 192 kHz... Plus Audio Has to be Originally Recorded, Mixed and then Compressed into the 5.1 (AC3, DTS, or SDDS) Digital Bit-stream. The Audio you get from Blu-Ray is the same you get from DVD which is the same you get at the Movies 16 Bit 48-kHz... Even DTS, which has had lots of people in the electronics business telling lies to customers, that DTS is WAY better than DD...isn't what it's been trumped to be... DTS requires that you hand them the files for 5.1 from the Mix done at the Studio at 16 Bit 44.1 kHz (CD Quality), to which these files (Left CH, Center CH, Right CH, L Sur CH, R Sur, CH, and LFE/Sub) are compressed into the DTS bit-stream. The Highest Quality Audio you could probably get at consumer level is DVD-Audio which is at 16 Bit 48 kHz, most High End receivers (Decoders) are equipped with a 24 Bit 96 kHz Chip but it doesn't mean that it will decode it... this is done because the more capable chip will reproduce/decode the sound better than a lower capacity chip. AGAIN NO SUCH THING AS HD AUDIO from Blu-Ray or any consumer based media, this is a MARKETING SCHEME created by SONY!...to push their players and make more money on their Movies as well (Sony Pictures, Tri-Star, Columbia). BTW the HDMI connection was chosen over the others because of the control over piracy they gain on the movies they sell.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #44
HuGo

With the "analog" cables it still sounded so damn krazy. I'm just going to buy the HD cables for the PS3. If i get the HDMi cable the sound will play out from my tv (since its only 1 cable), and i want it to come out from my surround sound speakers.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #45
ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
First, it's Blu-Ray or BRD. I know it seems like splitting hairs but it's like having someone mispronounce or misspell your name.
Now I'm confused. Is it Blu-ray Disc, Blu-ray, BRD, BR-D, or Br-D

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/index.htm
They're not very consistent even on their own website

p.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://207.56.165.184/html/faqs/index.php
Blu-ray Disc

BD-ROM: Read-only format for software, games and movie distribution
BD-R: Write-once recordable format for HDTV recording and PC data storage
BD-RE: Rewritable format for HDTV recording and PC data storage
Hybrid Disc (single-sided, triple-layer disc. Can hold 25 GB Blu-ray content and 8.5 GB standard def content all on one side of a disc). 50 GB Blu-ray and 8.5 GB hybrid disc currently in the works

BMWCCA #403399
Loaded
Traded