318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
DDubbs

Question shimmy at 40mph - struts?

I did some searching on threads with 'shimmy' or shudder and didn't find a conclusive answer.

For about a year I've had a shimmy at 35-40 mph. I can feel it in the car as I leave my right leg against the console when I'm driving and can feel it through my leg. The steering wheel feels notchy while the shudder is noticeable. Symptoms are stronger under deceleration, whether braking or leaving my foot off the gas. Not as intense if accelerating.

Recently the car will pull to the right so I took it for an alignment. No shudder in the brake pedal, I don't believe it's a warped rotor. No notchy feeling in the wheel at low (5-20) or high speeds (50-75), or when turning the wheel while stopped. Very noticeable around turns at 35. Steering wheel doesn't wobble while driving in a straight line at speed but you can feel the car shimmy.

You can feel steering wheel wobble in your hand while turning. The shimmy is there at all speeds, but you can feel it in the wheel from 35-40. It's barely noticeable below and above 30-40. You can feel it ramp up as speed climbs, like a frequency of vibration.

I've had the car to three shops and got a different answer from each about the suspension. This all started b/c I wanted an alignment, but now that I've spent time and some money having the suspension diagnosed I'm looking for an answer to the wobble.

Shop #1: (after asking for an alignment) new subframe bushings and front struts and LCABs

Shop #2: struts all around, suggested tie rod replacement as boots are cracked. Mentioned tires are getting dry rot. (4 year old Kumho Solus with a few 16ths of tread left)

Shop #3: No problems with suspension, suggested pads and rotors are nearing end of life. Third shop offered to balance the wheels to address shimmy problem.

After a new wheel balance problem persists. Sounds like I need struts. 2 out of 3 shops agree, and they are stock, so at 150k it's likely time.

In my searching I've read anything from flat spot on tire, LCABs, and just tired struts can cause the vibration. One shop suggested LCABs but as part of the front strut job. Other two tell me nothing to worry about. Tire wear has been even. Not violent or dangerous, but the shimmy is real and annoying. Wasn't there with new tires at 121k miles. Been there for the last 10k.

What do you think is causing it? Can worn struts cause this? Bad tire? I can't figure it out. Help appreciated.

Last edited by DDubbs; 08-24-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: adding paragraphs. posted as 1 paragraph
DDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
zoner

Generally, wheel shimmy is most often (at least in my experience) caused by bad alignment or wheels out of balance. You've already addressed both of those, so that can be eliminated. If you're still running stock struts at 150k, it's certainly time to replace those, and ALWAYS replace the strut bearings as well. Worn struts can certainly cause a wheel vibration, but it is usually also accompanied by uneven or premature tire wear. You may want to try rotating the tires to see if that has any effect, but I'd lean more towards either bad wheel bearings or something with the LCA's. Since it's more noticeable in turns, wheel bearings are the more likely of the two, IMO.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
familytruckster

Vehicles

4 year old tires, even if they are balanced are probably not round anymore. Sounds like they are shot anyway with "a few 16th's left"

LCAB's are a definite replacement. With the milage and age, I'd consider a full suspension rebuild.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
DDubbs

Thanks for the responses, guys. The struts need to be replaced, of that I'm sure. I got down on the ground to look inside the wheelwell and I can see the foam bump stops are getting chewed up so it's time for replacement, no doubt.

I can't imagine the whole front end needing to be rebuilt. The first shop quoted the LCABs to be replaced along with the front struts. Second shop recommend strut replacement only. Third shop said keep driving and be happy. (Bavarian Specialities, European Motorworks, VAC Motorsports)

Who to believe? The shop that said I needed subframe bushings and LCABs before I can get an alignment, or the other two who said the front end looks good except for the struts?

Anyone in the Philly area have a garage who can help me get this thing off the ground so I can see what's going on under there? I'd love to take a look and see what's going for myself. I'm willing to pay in beer.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
mohaughn

Well, I think you are trying to differentiate between does it need to be done, or would doing it make the driving experience a little bit better.

At 150k miles I can guarantee that your car could use a complete front end rebuild from a suspension standpoint and the improvement in driving feel and funny bumps/clucks/noises would decrease dramatically.

Is VAC correct in that you could continue to drive it, be happy, and save money, yes, they are. Some shops will look at the age/value of the car and base their recommendations on that. They may not think it makes sense to recommend $1,000 worth of suspension work when the car is only worth 2500-3500$... It doesn't mean either shop is wrong, they are just looking at things differently.

The bottom line, at 150k miles, just about any wear component in the front end could cause the symptoms you are describing.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
DDubbs

That makes perfect sense. I appreciate the response. As long as it's not unsafe I suppose I'll just drive and smile. Thanks again for the thoughtful answer.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
sooky123

Also check the balljoints on the control arms. If those go bad it could also cause it to shimmy.

Been there done that LOL.
sooky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #8
Danus ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooky123 View Post
Also check the balljoints on the control arms. If those go bad it could also cause it to shimmy.

Been there done that LOL.
This +1.
Danus ex is offline   Reply With Quote