318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,373 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,313 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,673 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-18-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
dunks

Exclamation Passenger side Headlight/FogLight stopped working?

As the title states, my passenger side Headlight and foglight stopped working all of the sudden.

It first started when my passenger side foglamp went out. At that time, that was the only thing not working. This had happened before, and it was due to just a bulb burning out, so I replace the bulb and voila, problem solved.

So, I went pepboys and bought two brand new H1 55W Sylvania OEM replacement lights. I replaced both of them in order that they matched. (Silverstars were in there before, and they only had regular ones at the store). I turned the lights on and to my suprise the passenger side foglamp didnt work. I realized I had forgot to put the plug on the inside of the foglamp around the light before I put the ligth assembly back in. No big deal.

So, I took out the assembly again, attached the plug and replaced the assembly. To my suprise, NEITHER THE FOGLAMP, NOR THE HEADLIGHT WERE WORKING ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. The turn indicator worked, so did the high beams. However, the headlight and the foglight didnt work.

I checked both the headlight and foglight bulbs, and neither of them were burned out. I then switched the driver side bulbs with the passenger side bulbs, and they worked in the driver side. So, the bulbs are definitely ok.

I'm assuming I either caused a short, or burned out a fuse. Any one have any suggestions?

Cliff notes: Replaced both fog bulbs b/c pass side bulb burnt out. Tried my lights and now neither pass side headlight, nor foglight works. High beams and turn indicators work. Switched head and fog bulbs with driver side and they work in the driver side. Blown Fuse? What happened?
dunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

yeah, check the fuses. forget if both fog and headlight are on the same one though.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
bimmer95

Both foglights are bridged together, there's only one fuse and relay for the pair. The low beams have three fuses total, one for the main circuit and individual fuses for both headlights.

The headlight not working could be a fuse or the bulb may have, coincidently, blown. Does you highbeam work on that side or are all three lights out?

I'd check that you have voltage at the foglight wiring. It could be that the connector is simply loose or corroded causing it to not light up.

http://www.understeer.com
bimmer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
dunks

Thanks guys, it was just a blown fuse. Real easy fix.
dunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Mothman

Vehicles

I am looking to add fog lights my 97 318ti, any suggestion on where a place that will have the WHOLE kit. Some place only offer some parts, but not all.

Thanks for any help,

Mothman

[SIGPIC]
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

if it's still available from the dealer (confirm kit # for a 97, this is for my 96, but i'm guessing it's the same):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=63&fg=95
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #7
aceyx

I waited at least 6 months for mine. Check with suppliers other than your dealer too (BMP, Pelican, etc).
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
bimmer95

If you order a foglight kit from a BMW dealer, insist that they put the order in as a VOR order, otherwise it'll never get sent over from Germany.

http://www.understeer.com
bimmer95 is offline   Reply With Quote