318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 940,539 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,610 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
marko

Default Anyone got spacers?

hey fellows,

any one of you got spacers currently - if so, what size / manufacturer / & do you have any issues??

thx!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Andrew

Default Wheel spacers

I needed 5mm spacers for the stock wheels because there was a clearance problem when using Bilstein PSS9 setup on front; ended up with H&R spacers from Turner motorsport. No problems - just need the longer wheel bolts to go with it. Don't need them with the summer wheel setup (215/45/17). It's always best to use as small a spacer as possible, since the scrub radius changes with spacers and there is a tendency for increased stress/faster wear on suspension components.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
SDKmann

Im going to be buying some spacers for the rears just to fill em out a little more, I think Ill go with 6mm or something. H&R is a must.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
thesk8nmidget

yeah i forgot what stock height looks like til i parked next to that other red ti and WOW im glad i have springs

back to topic.

i have friend that may need the spacers. i'll let you know
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
marko

thx for the info! I was contemplating spacers to have the wheels flush with the fenders (for looks only) - and so rubbing and size was my biggest concern... anyway, any reason you didnt go for 10mm or even 12mm maybe??

lastly, I too will eventually ride on coils (last leg of the ti project) - and so could you PLEASE post a pic of your car (or anyone else who may be riding on coils & spacers) - I'd love to see what 5mm & PSS9s look like on the car... to boot, I'd also like to see how low can you go with those coils (I wanna be stupid low, at some point soon )!
Tires will eventually be 215-40-17s
Thx in advance. Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I needed 5mm spacers for the stock wheels because there was a clearance problem when using Bilstein PSS9 setup on front; ended up with H&R spacers from Turner motorsport. No problems - just need the longer wheel bolts to go with it. Don't need them with the summer wheel setup (215/45/17). It's always best to use as small a spacer as possible, since the scrub radius changes with spacers and there is a tendency for increased stress/faster wear on suspension components.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
larryn

I run 10mm spacers all around, to bring the tires out to the fender. It does but slightly more strain on the wheel bearings, but the bearings are certainly a strong point on BMWs, and they rarely fail (even in track e36's where they generally mostly run a 10-12mm spacer up front).

I would caution the use of spacers without hubcentric rings on them (like smaller spacers.. namely the 5mm sized ones). You would be putting the weight of the car on the 5 bolts instead of the hubcentric extension on the hub. I actually lost a wheel on one of my BMWs using 5mm spacers, after all 5 bolts snapped almost instantaneously. That was not fun.

There's a couple of options here.

First, if you can use spacers with hubcentric ring extensions on them, PLEASE do. I like Rogue Engineering, because they come with the bolts (most others charge extra for bots) and have a bevel on the back side of them for easy removal.

Secondly, if you really have your heart set on 5mm spacers, Turner Motorsports makes a fitted alumunum piece that bangs into your hub, and serves as a hubcentric extenders. I have some of those too for one of my cars, but they are pricey.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty experienced in spacers, through trial and error.
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
marko

thats excellent - thank you! the more info the better.
I saw these things on bimmerforums & was wondering about them, as I heard you should use them if go size up with the wheels - though I did not fully understand why:
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com...34&prevstart=0
also, any chance of a quick pic with the spacers on - so I couls look & drool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I run 10mm spacers all around, to bring the tires out to the fender. It does but slightly more strain on the wheel bearings, but the bearings are certainly a strong point on BMWs, and they rarely fail (even in track e36's where they generally mostly run a 10-12mm spacer up front).

I would caution the use of spacers without hubcentric rings on them (like smaller spacers.. namely the 5mm sized ones). You would be putting the weight of the car on the 5 bolts instead of the hubcentric extension on the hub. I actually lost a wheel on one of my BMWs using 5mm spacers, after all 5 bolts snapped almost instantaneously. That was not fun.

First, if you can use spacers with hubcentric ring extensions on them, PLEASE do. I like Rogue Engineering, because they come with the bolts (most others charge extra for bots) and have a bevel on the back side of them for easy removal.

Secondly, if you really have your heart set on 5mm spacers, Turner Motorsports makes a fitted alumunum piece that bangs into your hub, and serves as a hubcentric extenders. I have some of those too for one of my cars, but they are pricey.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty experienced in spacers, through trial and error.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
larryn

I'll try to take some pics later on today and post.

Those pieces you posted are resin, I believe: "These rings are made of high quality Poly Carbon"
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post

That is good information. I'm running 5mm H&R spacers and I was under the impression that because the wheel is still coming into contact with the center hub extension that it was sufficient... Might have to look into some hub extenders...
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote