318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 939,005 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,600 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
hotmilk400

Default problem with 2nd gear?

first off, i looked all over, and saw a few problems with 1st and 3rd, and it did not seem the same.

also, i want to say that the clutch may or may not have 145k miles on it. haha. i am unsure if the last owner replaced the clutch, if he did, it has at least 40k miles, since i had the car 40k miles.

okay, basicly, when i go from 1st to 2nd gear, (sometimes) it feels like the clutch was not even engaged. or if it does go into gear, as soon as you release the clutch, it pops out of gear (and since my hand is still on it, grinds like a B!tch) i thought at first it only did it at high RPMS (above 4k) but it did it again at 3k RPMS. sometimes, even with the clutch engaged, it feels like the gears are not going together, and they grind. or if they do link up, it grinds when you release the clutch, and pops out. also, about 30k miles ago, it did the same thing when going from N to 5th gear, (like coasting at high speeds) so i stopped, and always went to 4th then 5th very fast. i also just replaced the tranny fluid about 10k miles ago (just because it was old) and that seemed to fully fix the 5th gear problem.

i do not think it is the clutch, but i know the flywheel is probally going bad, since if i am in traffic, and i am in 1st gear at idle speeds, my car bucks back and forth (doesnt if you hit the gas, but bucks when your car revs down in 1st gear, back to say 2mph)

i do not live in the city, so the car never see's traffic, or stop and go conditions, the last 2 weeks, i have been in PHILLY, so it has been seeing high amounts of stopping/going, and traffic, so i think that is why i am seeing these problems coming forward.

i tried to shift normal, but from 1st to 2nd, it has maybe a 50% change of grinding now, and i am using the clutch alright.

?? anyone?? i do not want to replace the clutch and flywheel only to find out i need to replace the Tranny right after that. thanks!!!

--

also, sometimes it feels like a wall when you try to get into 1st, but that is rare. i bought all new bushings and rods for the clutch linkage last week, so when i have time, i was planning on replacing all that crap in hope it would tighten up my shifter alittle.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 10-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
hotmilk400

sorry for the double post. i think i found more detailed info of the problem.

when going into 2nd, either from 1st or 3rd, it shifts into 2nd, but when you release the clutch, your car acts as if it is not in gear at all. the shifter is physically in 2nd gear, (or atleast looks like it) and it does nothing. if you touch it while it is like this, it instally grinds and kicks out of 2nd gear. (that is why i thought it was not engaging or would grind after you released the clutch, since my hand was still on it, and since my hand was on it, it would grind.

what is this? hopefully a simple fix, since i do not have time to mess around with a transmission. seems fine in every other gear, but shifting does seem to be alittle different. i can not tell you actually how, but every time you shift, i can feel where the gears are meeting up. its like, when you are shifting, it is easy and moves fine, but when you get to the gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd so on) you can feel it slowing down as you go into gear. its like 2 stages instead of a fast shift. its hard to explain, it doesnt just move freely anymore, but its nothing that would worry someone with they test driving the car. it might just be like that on every car (guess i need to test drive my aunts z3 manual 1.9L)

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 10-12-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
wolferj-RIP

Throwout bearing? Either that or your 2nd gear syncro is toast...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
hotmilk400

thanks, i went to my mechanic today, and i explained to him what was happening. he said he was 99% sure it was the syncro gear, he also thought at first it was the Throwout bearing, but said it was def the syncro. he is looking at salvaged trannys now, but i might let it go for alittle until the tranny is toast. i can only imagine how much this will cost me.

i also just bought a salvaged AUTO ti, the same year, but i really love manual. i might fix the auto ti instead of paring it, and use that. then just sell my manual AS-IS with transmission problems.

it makes me mad, i just installed a remote starter, and a $400 head unit.. =/

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
wolferj-RIP

Used transmissions are pretty common for our cars, as they are interchangeable with all e36 manuals. I see them on my local CL for a couple of bills all the time. This would (of course) be the time to replace the clutch/flywheel/etc... it's the labor that will kill you...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

If there isn't something under the car that is in the way of the linkage that is stopping the transmission from being able to completely shift into 2nd gear then the syncro is worn out and not keeping the gears alligned so when you shift they are hitting tooth on tooth and not engaging and that is why you get the grind.

I do have a excellent getrag in the back room that I would let go for $50 you pay shipping which would be maybe $90 anywhere in the us. You pay for the plastic tub from Walmart too, they are cheap. This is a transmission that I pulled when I swapped to a ZF. I have a disk w/matching pressure plate I will let go for $25 (less then 2K on them)......So $75 plus actual shipping and it's yours if it is the transmission that is the issue. I most likely have the linkage with new bushing too for free and I think a short shifter but I will need to find them. The linkage is for a E36 318is

I hope it is just something in the way of the linkage or something else that is easy.

Best, John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
hotmilk400

see, that is what is strange. it is not grinding going in, once it is in, it just does not engage, and if you touch it, it grinds and kicks out. it is also not all the time (i did not loose 2nd gear) i drove home just fine, but i was having problems on and off the last 2 days with 2nd gear only.

they told me that snyco gears wear out faster from people keeping their hands on the shifter, and that is why 2nd and 3rd gears sncyo can go out for no reason (since you are pulling on 2nd, and pushing on 3rd) of course it wears out for many other reason too, but that is popular.

so johnboy, the tranny you have is fine? no shift problems? do you know about how many miles are on it? haha. i am waiting for the price of the salvage yard my mechanic is calling. the yard is well known, and offers a 1 year warranty on all parts they sell. (but that just means it will probably be $500 +)

but, i can def not argue with that amazing price johnboy. any chance you have the clutch/flywheel for it? might as well get everything done right. once my mechanic gets back to me with a price, i will PM you with a YES or NO, but i can almost best you yours is cheaper. its a shame that shipping is a killer. haha. sometimes you get lucky and shipping is less then expected.

anyway. i will hit you up as soon as i hear word from my mechanic. Thanks alot man, and no worries on the plastic tub, i want it packaged as well as possible, the last thing i want is a cracked tranny to come in. haha.

Last edited by hotmilk400; 10-13-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

No idea on mileage I blew out the sycro in 2nd gear on my original transmission and replaced the transmission with this one and then immediately decided to go with a ZF. This transmission is in good condition and shifts fine. I do have my original flywheel that has 150?K on it but was resurfaced at 123K and looks good. I have a clutch disk and pressure plate with almost no miles on them for $25. I really don't want to get rid of the flywheel but will if you have to have it. Most flywheel can be resurfaced unless they are tore up bad

John Smith
Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
hotmilk400

is the clutch an ebay clutch? haha. $25 bucks is an amazing deal. anyway. your awesome for helping me out. like i said, i am just waiting for the call from my mechanic, then we can go from their.

thanks man.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
is the clutch an ebay clutch? haha. $25 bucks is an amazing deal. anyway. your awesome for helping me out. like i said, i am just waiting for the call from my mechanic, then we can go from their.

thanks man.
Sachs from Pelican...I think I paid $225 or $325 can't remember. It slipped one time and I went to the Spec clutch stage 3 immediately with the 9# billet flywheel. I just need to remove stuff from the back room to make room for more stuff

I will try to take pictures but need to borrow a camera since work took their camera when they fired me...

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 10-13-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
hotmilk400

to be honest man, no pictures are needed since i do not know what i am looking at anyway. if you say the clutch is in good shape, and the tranny is fine, then that is fine. i will probably grab extra seals and what not tonight online, so i have everything that is needed to do the swap right.

do you think i should replace the slave cylinder since i am doing all this work? or since it works, just let it go?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #12
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
to be honest man, no pictures are needed since i do not know what i am looking at anyway. if you say the clutch is in good shape, and the tranny is fine, then that is fine. i will probably grab extra seals and what not tonight online, so i have everything that is needed to do the swap right.

do you think i should replace the slave cylinder since i am doing all this work? or since it works, just let it go?
Slave cylinder is very easy to change if it goes bad so I wouldn't spend the money unless your sure it is bad. If your sure it is bad it might be the issue causing the issues you are having....
Old 10-31-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
d235353

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Slave cylinder is very easy to change if it goes bad so I wouldn't spend the money unless your sure it is bad. If your sure it is bad it might be the issue causing the issues you are having....
I think @ 145K it look like I might be doing the same as you xxxjohnboyxxx heheh

are these transmissions on ebay for #50.00 gbp for real?
d235353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
xxxJohnBoyxxx

What do you mean doing the same as me My ZF transmission is perfect...

John S
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
d235353

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
What do you mean doing the same as me My ZF transmission is perfect...

John S
I just mean drop in a younger transmission period. and for 50.00 gbp at these sort of mileage one would be mad not too.
d235353 is offline   Reply With Quote