318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,027 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Just blew my headgasket.

Just left to get some pizza and smelt anifreeze. Pulled over pooped my hood and the back of the engine towards the windshield was wet,smoke pouring out like crazy. Dad says it's my headgasket,i'm so friggin pissed at the moment. I'll update u guys shortly.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
1rstbmw!

That sucks, hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:51 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
Just left to get some pizza and smelt anifreeze. Pulled over pooped my hood and the back of the engine towards the windshield was wet,smoke pouring out like crazy. Dad says it's my headgasket,i'm so friggin pissed at the moment. I'll update u guys shortly.
There is a collant fitting on the back of the motor. I'd guess that's what blew, not the head gasket. Take your oil fill cap off, if it's foamy, then it's a head gasket. Squeeze your top and bottom radiator hoses, I bet you can hear it hiss out the back.

EVERYONE: All the plastic pieces on the car that come in contact with anti-freeze WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replace them when you have the chance. The Yahoo! board knows all about this crap.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
HuGo

Quote:
Sorta same sh*it happen to me. But i went to mcdonalds and my dad thinks its the hose.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
There is a collant fitting on the back of the motor. I'd guess that's what blew, not the head gasket. Take your oil fill cap off, if it's foamy, then it's a head gasket. Squeeze your top and bottom radiator hoses, I bet you can hear it hiss out the back.

EVERYONE: All the plastic pieces on the car that come in contact with anti-freeze WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replace them when you have the chance. The Yahoo! board knows all about this crap.

I smelt antifreeze the other day,but everything seemed ok. Then like i said i just left and i smelt it bad and saw all the smoke behind me. So i pulled over and the top of the engine towards the windshield was all wet. It's kind of raining/sleeting out right now so i can't really get a good look at it. But everything that is wet is in the back.

Dustent to get at the hoses back there i have to remove the wire harness over the engone correct? I checked my dipstick for the oil and it seemed fine,i didn't take off the oil cap though. Opened up the antifreeze and it's at the bottom of the reservoir which is obvious. There was one hose that seemed like it was bent or melted or something,not sure if it's suposed to look like that.

Well i'm gonna watch some american idol tryouts,hoipefully the lousy singers will cheer me up a little.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 01-18-2006, 02:15 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
I smelt antifreeze the other day,but everything seemed ok. Then like i said i just left and i smelt it bad and saw all the smoke behind me. So i pulled over and the top of the engine towards the windshield was all wet. It's kind of raining/sleeting out right now so i can't really get a good look at it. But everything that is wet is in the back.

Dustent to get at the hoses back there i have to remove the wire harness over the engone correct? I checked my dipstick for the oil and it seemed fine,i didn't take off the oil cap though. Opened up the antifreeze and it's at the bottom of the reservoir which is obvious. There was one hose that seemed like it was bent or melted or something,not sure if it's suposed to look like that.

Well i'm gonna watch some american idol tryouts,hoipefully the lousy singers will cheer me up a little.
You don't have to remove the wire thingy, but it IS a pain to remove. It took me a couple hours to do.

Check your oil cap, American Idol can wait. They play the good parts OVER and OVER again.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-18-2006, 02:17 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

these failures seem to be related to fast food, everyone avoid fast food!!!

yes, those plastic pieces are evil. i made my service guys change 'em all, luckily before any of them broke (made it over 200k).

let me try to find the applicable diagram of the part dusten is likely talking about:

believe #1 is one of them:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=11&fg=10

and #9 is the other:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=11&fg=15
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #8
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

I just checked the oil cap and it was fine,no foaming looked all normal.

There is a big plastic hose that runs out of the back of the engine and it feels like it goes up. I'd say it's about 2-3 inches in diameter.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:20 AM   #9
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti

yes, those plastic pieces are evil. i made my service guys change 'em all, luckily before any of them broke (made it over 200k).

let me try to find the applicable diagram of the part dusten is likely talking about:

and #9 is the other:
YOU WIN!!! Yes, those are the parts.

I had another part break too, the radiator. It broke where the top hoses connects. I had just left Dairy Queen when that happened, so cali-ti you might be on to something.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-18-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti

and #9 is the other:

Yes that kind of looks like the one i was talking about,ecxept in comes straight out,not sideways. That part is right below the intake manifold on the back side.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #11
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Did it feel wet? Fill your radiator back up with straight water. Turn your heater on full heat. Start your car, see if it blows/drains out the back near that plastic piece.

After you fix it, drain the cooling system, flush it and fill with the correct mixture of antifreeze.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
YOU WIN!!! Yes, those are the parts.

I had another part break too, the radiator. It broke where the top hoses connects. I had just left Dairy Queen when that happened, so cali-ti you might be on to something.
i had my window break at a mcdonalds too ...
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:35 AM   #13
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Did it feel wet? Fill your radiator back up with straight water. Turn your heater on full heat. Start your car, see if it blows/drains out the back near that plastic piece.

After you fix it, drain the cooling system, flush it and fill with the correct mixture of antifreeze.
Yes out of all the hoses back there that is the wetest if thats even a word. Well i'm taking my dads ride to work tomorrow so i'll let him look into it. He's been a mechanic all his life but doesn't know much about bmw engines. I have the bentley manual so it should come into good use.

Come to think of it when i was in Mass this past weekend i noticed some smoke coming out of my engine but just thought it was like that casue i went through a puddle. Should've looked into it.. I wish i had some beer right now a cold one would be so good.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 AM   #14
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Yes out of all the hoses back there that is the wetest if thats even a word. Well i'm taking my dads ride to work tomorrow so i'll let him look into it. He's been a mechanic all his life but doesn't know much about bmw engines. I have the bentley manual so it should come into good use.

Come to think of it when i was in Mass this past weekend i noticed some smoke coming out of my engine but just thought it was like that casue i went through a puddle. Should've looked into it.. I wish i had some beer right now a cold one would be so good.
Get some beers. I good jag is the best way to celebrate car troubles!

Show your dad the RealOEM diagram. I guarantee you that is what your problem is.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 AM   #15
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Have you replaced that hose before? If so was it a pain in the butt to do?