318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
kirbykirbykirby3

Default OBDI Vs OBD II

Just curious, which one is the easiest to diagonise a problem with the engine?

I know theres many kits on ebay for a OBDII port (Plug in USB to PC and scan).

And if the OBDI BMW's, you can do something with the gas pedal, to see what the problem is.

In your opinion, which is the easiest way to diagonise a car? For me I'd Imagine the Plug in USB to PC one, since--Im good with pc's

Like to hear all pro's and con's. May help in consideration of me getting a 95 compact, or a 96+ compact.

So sad sport was only for 95 :'(.
kirbykirbykirby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbykirbykirby3 View Post
Just curious, which one is the easiest to diagonise a problem with the engine?

I know theres many kits on ebay for a OBDII port (Plug in USB to PC and scan).

And if the OBDI BMW's, you can do something with the gas pedal, to see what the problem is.

In your opinion, which is the easiest way to diagonise a car? For me I'd Imagine the Plug in USB to PC one, since--Im good with pc's

Like to hear all pro's and con's. May help in consideration of me getting a 95 compact, or a 96+ compact.

So sad sport was only for 95 :'(.
The Sport was sold from 1995 - 1999, only the CLUB SPORT was available in 1995, in fact EVERY 1999 model was a SPORT.

OBDII is by far the easiest to diagnosis, as it was built specifically to allow owners to check and fix emissions equipment.

You don't need computer skillz to use obd software, it's made so idiots can use it.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
cosmos schwarz

how do you know if your car is a sport? i'm from the uk, and my dad bought the car new in 95 and picked the sport pack option, sport seats, mtech springs etc.

as for the obd 1 or 11, i would defo go for 1 as its easier to tune with out<edit forced induction, but if its the ease of finding faults well thats obvious.
cosmos schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
kirbykirbykirby3

Well, I wasn't meaning excatly that I needed advanced computer skills, I just mentioned it as a plus.

And I meant Club Sport for 95! (Sorry), Still learning here! =D

So, its pretty much unanonamous that the OBDII is the easiest to diagonise?
If I were to use a OBDII tool, I can reset those check engine lights when it was displayed after a number of miles? D
Old 11-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbykirbykirby3 View Post
Well, I wasn't meaning excatly that I needed advanced computer skills, I just mentioned it as a plus.

And I meant Club Sport for 95! (Sorry), Still learning here! =D

So, its pretty much unanonamous that the OBDII is the easiest to diagonise?
If I were to use a OBDII tool, I can reset those check engine lights when it was displayed after a number of miles? D
Yes.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
pnosker

Advanced computer skills that you have (A+, msce, etc.) will probably not help you at all with OBD II. It's just a system of outputting information in plaintext from a variety of sensors. Some software has been made to interpret this plaintext data. Still, though, there's cheaper OBD II scanner tools that are easy to use. I have yet to find an inexpensive USB - OBD II tool, though I haven't looked too hard.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
kirbykirbykirby3

Well, I have found some on ebay for around 40$ once. any good software to go along with OBDII?

I think I may get a OBDII car, unless I can sport a 95 Club Sport, then...hehe.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
pnosker

Remember, the 95 models have the M42 with a less balanced torque/hp curve and a lower redline. M44 models (96+) are faster stock than the M42.

Plus, the Club Sport was only produced for a couple hundred copies. They're extremely rare. (Rarer than the Ferrari Enzo)
Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 AM   #9
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Here are some OBD tool-related links:
(I haven't checked them in a while so they may be stale.)
http://www.myscantool.com/
http://www.auterraweb.com/index.html
http://www.scantool.net/
http://www.obd-2.com/

And a couple of links for open source-related items:
http://www.scantool.net/?mode=displaySoftware&os=Linux
http://freediag.sourceforge.net/

And just for the heck of it, here are a few "car computer" URL's:
http://www.dashpc.com/
http://store.mp3car.com/
http://carputer.org/tiki/tiki-index.php

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
kirbykirbykirby3

Wow! Thanks a Bunch! Lots of reading to do!

Also, nice Signature

"From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual:
Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 AM   #11
dave45056

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
Remember, the 95 models have the M42 with a less balanced torque/hp curve and a lower redline. M44 models (96+) are faster stock than the M42.

Plus, the Club Sport was only produced for a couple hundred copies. They're extremely rare. (Rarer than the Ferrari Enzo)
How do you figure the M42 to have a lower redline? M42's have hydraulic lifters and forged internals. M44's have rocker shafts and are less rev happy. I'd prefer a M42 over a M44 any day. Works perfectly in my car.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 AM   #12
pnosker

I read somewhere (I'll look for it tomorrow) that the redline for M42's was 6300 rpm.

It's true that M42's are forged, which is nice, though.

Still M44's have greater displacement and a more constant torque curve.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
I read somewhere (I'll look for it tomorrow) that the redline for M42's was 6300 rpm.

It's true that M42's are forged, which is nice, though.

Still M44's have greater displacement and a more constant torque curve.
The argument FOR the m42 because of the forged internals is still up in the air. Metric mechanic's forced induction motor used the m44 rods and crank because of the weight savings. The m42 has heavier internals and 4 extra crank weights which leads to a slower revving engine, no matter how you cut it.

m42
Crankshaft - Stock 81mm stroke forged steel with 8 counterweights, 29.5 lbs.
Rods- 595 grams

m44
Crankshaft - Stock 83mm stroke cast with 4 counterweights, 28.5 lbs. - with OBDII /60 tooth timing wheel
Rods - Stock M44/1.9 rod, 540 grams

'99 Dinan M3
Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
Panzer_M

A Lightweight flywheel and a limited slip and the M42 outdoes the M44 IMO.
and you can knock out your cat with a CEL coming on for the win with the 95.

A few things I've noticed with the Club Sport over the German-Market 1997 318ti I had prior...the CS is lighter, in handling and overall feel..never got to check the weight on both..but the CS came in a 2643 wet. The CS doesn't have any nanny systems to get in your way when driving, it's more direct you and the car. coupled with a limited slip and 5 spd it's a blast to drive.

both engines suck when it comes to intakes, the M44 is the better with the MAF vs the M42 AFM and it's damn butterfly valve, but it's not a delicate as a MAF.

Next mod for the CS is headlights and a 3.46 Limited Slip 188mm case, so depending on the power upgrade route the back is already beefed for it..plus I can get the sexy oh so sexy rexy M coupe cover sticking out back there with the equally sexy and loud Stromung.

Whatever the final result is going to be, it will be a fun car, better than most of BMW offering in the last few years with the 1ser being the bit of hope of BMW going back to it's Driver/Road Love affair.

While the Ti isn't a e30 M3, it's not a pig like the e36 Coupe'/Saloons nor is it a whale like the e46 chassis(Haven't been around the e90/92 to dislike it with it's dual chassis codes and techno-wizardry)
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #15
mohaughn

Quote:

What? There were 95 sports sold in Europe as well. Only around 300 were brought to the US... There were only 399 enzo's made worldwide, 400 including the popes... Less than 100 were imported to the US. So if you want to compare apples to apples, considerably less enzo's came to the US than club sports.

I have my 95 Ti, and two other BMW's with OBDII. For working on the car yourself I think OBDI is much easier as you can get the codes without an external reader.. And honestly, if you are not 100% familiar with how a BMW works and all of the other associated parts, etc... do you really know what those OBD codes mean? How many times have we seen people troubleshooting Cam Position Sensor or Catalytic effienciency fault OBDII codes? Just reading a code points you in a general direction. You have to be a full time mechanic, or very good with these cars to really know exactly what those codes mean, and how to troubleshoot each code.. Or have that BMW TIS software..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote