The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,027,998 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
pnosker

Thanks a lot for your input m3yosh. I contacted the manufacturer about more insight on their policies. They will ship first so you're never without your lights, and the replacement ballast cost is definitely less than $35 + sh, but I emailed them to ask. Over 16 suppliers have gotten back to me so I'm still trying to figure out the best price/value. I'm throwing out every seller that will not tell me their failure rate or has a rate above 1%. Also any seller without 1 year warranty is discarded.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
campaiar

I'd love to get in on this.

campaiar - 9006 - 7000k

From my research, HID bulbs operate at lower temperatures. The issues people have is clearance between the plastic and the tip of the bulb since they're longer. Also, the ellipsoids can be placed too close to the bulbs causing failures.

I've read that some bulbs don't locate the light source in the same place as the halogens causing reflectivity to suffer. Is that true? It makes perfect sense that if you move the light source the geometry of the reflectivity would be impacted. Any ideas?
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
Old 01-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
Mallard

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
But don't you have UK Glass housings?
those are the standard Hella units for compacts.

ive replaced mine with the Euro elipsoids, which are used on the coupes and loons

without any probs

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #19
ipswich318ti

how will u melt them
??

MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFORMATION
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #20
m3yosh

No worries, pnosker. Sounds like you've done a lot of research and due diligence! Kudos to you for putting this together for everyone! I may end up joining this group buy in a little bit...

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your input m3yosh. I contacted the manufacturer about more insight on their policies. They will ship first so you're never without your lights, and the replacement ballast cost is definitely less than $35 + sh, but I emailed them to ask. Over 16 suppliers have gotten back to me so I'm still trying to figure out the best price/value. I'm throwing out every seller that will not tell me their failure rate or has a rate above 1%. Also any seller without 1 year warranty is discarded.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #21
HigH RevZ

If these are available for the standard open head lights, Not for ellipsoid I'm in on it. I've also read somewhere that certain types of HID kits work best for Ellipsoid projection.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #22
pnosker

Theoretically, they will work for standard headlights... another member said that he uses them with his stock headlights. They are optimal for ellipsoids though.

And thanks m3yosh. I was woken up at 6 AM this morning by one of the suppliers calling me (and frankly, not speaking good english). I got 12 more emails while at school about their different products. So far, I'd prefer to go with the $135 lights because they seem to be better made, low failure rate (<1&#37 and have replacement ballasts for $30. It's up to you guys now that we have five people. Let's start a vote for which company we'll buy from. I'll put up my favorite 4 in a new post (below this one) with prices, specs, and pictures. My favorite of all will cost $150, but has a 1.5 year warranty and they will ship both ways in event of a warranty failure. Also, they use Gen 6 electronics and buy bulb casings from GE. German electronic components.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #23
pnosker

Oh, Conner, do you want 2 sets (one for high, one for low)?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #24
pnosker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3yosh View Post
Hello,

I'm somewhat new here... Been lurking for a little while, and finally purchased a ti a few days ago. Anyway, my intention is ONLY to give you my thoughts. I don't want to start any waves or try to sabotage this group buy, as I know they take a lot of legwork for the coordinator to setup. I do give a big thumbs up to the coordinator for taking the time to research and communicate to the vendor. Something that easily gets overlooked on the internet.

I just want to offer my thoughts and personal experience... Anyway, I chose to pay a little bit more for the HID setup because I have read about premature failures and malfunctions (both inside and outside a year). Rest assured, I am not affiliated with any aftermarket car manufacturing company or anything of the sort -- I'm just a fellow bimmer enthusiast.

One thing you might want to find out from the vendor is the cost of replacement parts (outside of their warranty period). And then judge cost of ownership from that perspective.

I chose to go with a company called Xtec. I know that Xtec offers a LIFETIME warranty on parts... They tend to cost a little more "up front," but in the long run could work out to be cheaper in the sense that you don't have to pay more for replacement parts. I purchased an HID set for my m3 a couple years ago, and had a ballast go out on me after about 1.5 years of ownership... I called the manufacturer, and normally would have costed $130 for one side. I only know this because that was the deposit they charged on my credit card for the return item, which was credited back to me when they received the faulty part. And get this -- they covered postage for the part -- both ways!
Hey,
I just looked into it more, I can get the exact same kit that Xtec sells for $185 per kit. Exactly the same, both are made by >> Guangzhou Jinnuo Electronic Technology Co.,Ltd.
>> Add: NO.18, the 1st industrial zone, Heguanglu, Tangxia, Tianhe district,
>> Guangzhou 510655, China.

Check out that picture on the XTEC site: http://www.xtechid.com/products.php

The company that produces the stuff has a 15 month warranty with 1-2% failure rate. If you're positive about that company, I would have no problem going with them. It's the exact same thing as being sold for $299.99. The ballasts for that company are also used by Lumenux, and replacement ballasts are $35.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #25
BobbyDigital

I want in!!! When do you think this will happen?

BobbyDigital - h1 - 6000K
Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
pnosker

Soon, in the next couple of weeks. We just have to hit 10 people, and I need the people on the list to choose which manufacturer we go with.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #27
BobbyDigital

Cool...I'm in dude!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #28
pnosker

OK Guys, I got the rest of the info today. Now it's up to us to decide. Unfortunately, it appears that Lumenux might be more money (miscommunication), around $140 or so possibly. My personal favorites are: XGY, Helio, and Eagle. I would prefer Eagle myself because of their no-hassle warranty service (pay DHL freight both ways) as well as a 6 month longer warranty. Please post your least favorite company and the winner will be removed from the choices. We'll do that until we arrive at the favorite company and that's who we'll deal with.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:36 AM   #29
Mad-Machine

Quote:
Mad-machine, which socket type?
Honestly, I do not know. I am still running the stock lights, but I want to upgrade to Elipsoidals, but I have figured out which is the best for the price.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 AM   #30
pnosker

If you want ellipsoids, get in on this group buy: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=381171

That's my plan, eventually at least. Otherwise, get HID's for your high beams.
Closed Thread