318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
blowin 4

Default okada plasma booster

Looking for some advice on this product?? i purchased it about 4 years ago installed it didn't feel a difference so i pulled it and it's been sitting here for over 4 years has any body had hands on experience or heard of any good results ? i read about it being used on mini cooper's and advancing the timing . i also heard that mustangs made 10 whp on the dyno any info would be gladly appreciated .
blowin 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
pdxmotorhead

Many multi-sparc systems cdi systems etc have come and gone. They all pretty much give a basic power increase usually < 2HP. No matter who's box you use, muti-sparc above 3500 RPM is weak or useless, if you do the math, the piston is moving faster than the discharge of the coil can happen. It takes a certain amount of time for the coil to saturate then discharge. Its several milliseconds.

If you read the tests of the unit, as well as compare to MSD, Mallory, etc, at the drag strip they all give better trap times. But if you work on road race cars you find the difference is minimal. It seems to help in the bottom end, but not up in the high mid range RPM band. Road race cars just don't use much below 3500 when on track so only overall spark energy counts and most stock coils are just so much better than they were a few years ago that it takes a heck of a system to beat them.

You wont likely lose from running it, it does boost ignition current, which reduces the risk of misfire which is the real reason most run a CDI/MSD style ignition.

If it was me I'd try it when you get to the meat of tuning your car on the dyno...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Many multi-sparc systems cdi systems etc have come and gone. They all pretty much give a basic power increase usually < 2HP. No matter who's box you use, muti-sparc above 3500 RPM is weak or useless, if you do the math, the piston is moving faster than the discharge of the coil can happen. It takes a certain amount of time for the coil to saturate then discharge. Its several milliseconds.

If you read the tests of the unit, as well as compare to MSD, Mallory, etc, at the drag strip they all give better trap times. But if you work on road race cars you find the difference is minimal. It seems to help in the bottom end, but not up in the high mid range RPM band. Road race cars just don't use much below 3500 when on track so only overall spark energy counts and most stock coils are just so much better than they were a few years ago that it takes a heck of a system to beat them.

You wont likely lose from running it, it does boost ignition current, which reduces the risk of misfire which is the real reason most run a CDI/MSD style ignition.

If it was me I'd try it when you get to the meat of tuning your car on the dyno...

Dave
thank's dave i paid almost 400 bucks no one will give me much for it .i guess ill make a molex plug and do a dyno with it off then on the car so your saying i should install it since i have it & it will help avoid a missfire.
blowin 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
digitalat

Given what Dave mentioned about low RPM positive effects, this device would appear to be beneficial for a stock M42 engine... it is still being sold in Japan to this day... any other user feedback out there?
digitalat is offline   Reply With Quote