318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Today 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Today 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 137 Views
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 175 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,649 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
Minninips

Vehicles
Arrow Oil Change - How Much Do I Need?

I'll be changing the oil in my Ti for the first time (personally). I need to know how much oil to get and out of curiosity what others would recommend for oil brands(I don't want to cheap out). For reference the Ti is a 95 with 180k miles and sees about one to two autocross days every few months containing not more than 12 miles of hard driving per day.

On a side note, any DIY's on tranny fluid?

Thanks in advance for any help
Minninips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

it takes 5.3 quarts of oil, you'll have to pick up 6 quarts to have enough, I'd recommend getting a 5 quart jug and one separate quart of Mobil 1 from Wal*Mart if they have it, much cheaper than an auto parts store

do you have a standard or automatic? if it's a standard, remove the fill plug on the side, (make sure you do this first, if the fill plug is seized and you drain the oil you're going to have a tough time refilling it) then the drain plug on the bottom, let the oil drain out, replace the drain plug and then use a suction gun or something similar to put 1.2 quarts of MTL in, if you're not sure if it's full, just keep adding it until it starts to leak out of the fill hole and plug it. if it's an automatic, don't even touch it unless you're already having transmission problems, changing the fluid has been known to cause problems
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Minninips

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
it takes 5.3 quarts of oil, you'll have to pick up 6 quarts to have enough, I'd recommend getting a 5 quart jug and one separate quart of Mobil 1 from Wal*Mart if they have it, much cheaper than an auto parts store

do you have a standard or automatic? if it's a standard, remove the fill plug on the side, (make sure you do this first, if the fill plug is seized and you drain the oil you're going to have a tough time refilling it) then the drain plug on the bottom, let the oil drain out, replace the drain plug and then use a suction gun or something similar to put 1.2 quarts of MTL in, if you're not sure if it's full, just keep adding it until it starts to leak out of the fill hole and plug it. if it's an automatic, don't even touch it unless you're already having transmission problems, changing the fluid has been known to cause problems
Thanks for the quick reply! I have a standard so I'll be following your instructions
Old 09-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

no problem, just one more thing, the transmission plugs use an odd sized allen socket, I can't remember what it is but I'm a mechanic and I ended up having to borrow it from another shop because I couldn't find it in my box or the 3 other boxes in my shop
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Minninips

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
no problem, just one more thing, the transmission plugs use an odd sized allen socket, I can't remember what it is but I'm a mechanic and I ended up having to borrow it from another shop because I couldn't find it in my box or the 3 other boxes in my shop
Thanks for the heads up. If I can't get a hold of one at work I'll order one from snap-on ahead of time.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
spidertri

Vehicles

I think it is a 14mm allen on the transmission drain and fill, the differential too. I found a set of 3 larger abnormal allens at Pep boys and 14 was one of them.

Edit - It's not an allen on the transmission, it needs a regular socket. I was just checking it out yesterday. Diff is definitely 14mm allen though.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM

Last edited by spidertri; 09-27-2009 at 03:19 PM.
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Aaendewy

I've also ran into this kind of trouble, my oil rans out, i need to know how to change the oil, first time aswell, I've read what others have said, but i don't get it myself, can someone please post a step by step instruction and maybe some photos along with it that would help me and others alot. Thanks
Aaendewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
spidertri

Vehicles

The engine oil or transmission oil?

13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Aaendewy

I'm not so sure, I'm new to this, when i turn on my engine takes 2 times to start, I've found out the problem. My spark plugs is leaking with oil, I've taking all 4 out and clean everything, things seem better but after a few weeks it happens again. no idea why. another problem my TI seems weaker due to oil problems, here's another example, after running for 30minutes or so, the engine heat up so, i guess its over heating? or oiling problems i don't know. Its seems a lot weaker than when i first bought it.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Aaendewy

Posting both The engine oil or transmission oil would be great, i would like to renew both of them.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaendewy View Post
I'm not so sure, I'm new to this, when i turn on my engine takes 2 times to start, I've found out the problem. My spark plugs is leaking with oil, I've taking all 4 out and clean everything, things seem better but after a few weeks it happens again. no idea why. another problem my TI seems weaker due to oil problems, here's another example, after running for 30minutes or so, the engine heat up so, i guess its over heating? or oiling problems i don't know. Its seems a lot weaker than when i first bought it.
Spark plugs that have oil on them means the valve cover gasket is toast. It seems to be a fairly common issue on these engines and it isn't too hard to replace.

When you say the engine is overheating is that because the temp needle on the dashboard is in the red?

13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
pdxmotorhead

5 qts puts my 95 dead on the line with a filter change.
Don't know where I'd put another 1/3 of a quart....

The walmart jugs of 20-50 Mobile 1 are 5 quarts.

95's did not come with synthetic, you may get some weeping if the engine has not had synth oil before, it cleans the seals better and they may leak.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote