318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,373 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,313 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,673 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,869 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
clex2

Default Auto vs manual gas pedal

On my Auto 318ti, the gas pedal has what I call 2 stages. The first 2 inches of travel are realtively light, and then after that, the remainder of the travel is stiffer, as if a second resistance spring has kicked in. In my quest for knowledge for a auto to trans swap, I would like to know from those with a manual, what is the gas pedal like? Smooth the whole way, or notched like on my auto. I think the manual would need to be smooth. The swapped 330ti is smooth.

That leads me to the next question? What is it that causes the notched gas pedal feel?

Thanks in advance for any help.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
robcarync

YOu have the normal gas pedal range of motion and the notch you feel all the way at the bottom is a switch...it should automatically down shift the car from 4th to 3rd, assuming you are in 4th gear while flooring it. that is what i have read, and it appears to do that on my auto TI, so thats my final answer...

with a manual car, you dont need a switch to down shift, so i would think it is smooth the entire way, but ive never driven a manual TI
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
thesk8nmidget

mine is smooth all the way

(manual)
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
ATF

Auto chiming in,

Just before the point at which you are flooring it, there's that switch/resistance for passing.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
nyle

I drive a manual and i'm not aware of the "knotched" feel so i guess its smooth the whole way.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
naustin

I know exactly what you're talking about. Those other guys are talking about the kickdown switch and that's not it. My manual has this staged feel to it, my dad's manual has the stages, my old 318is manual has the stages. My dad claims not to notice it. I really like it, its set to a good cruising throttle setting so you can almost rest your foot on stage two of the pedal.

For you guys who dont notice it, its just increased resistance in the pedal. It is nowhere near flooring the pedal. Manuals do not have the kickdown switch obviously.

FB
naustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
CirrusSR22

I've noticed it on my automatic car, but only if I push the pedal with my hand.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
robcarync

oh, OK then, i guess i misunderstood the 'increased resistance'...but just for the record, hitting the switch at the bottom is increased resistance! so i wasnt completely wrong!

now that naustin mentions it, i know what you are talking about now...i just thought he was referring to the switch at the bottom...my bad
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
naustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarync View Post
oh, OK then, i guess i misunderstood the 'increased resistance'...but just for the record, hitting the switch at the bottom is increased resistance! so i wasnt completely wrong!

now that naustin mentions it, i know what you are talking about now...i just thought he was referring to the switch at the bottom...my bad
Haha yeah i figured thats what y'all were thinking. So just thought i'd clarify!

FB
naustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
clex2

So there are 2 smooths and 1 nothced on the manuals, and it seems notched on all autos. Personally, I think smooth is the prefered pedal travel for a manual. I'm going to look into how the two are different. I think I would prefer smooth for the auto also. There are times when the notch catches and you have to exert extra effort to get passed it, like it's binding or something. Usually on warm days, but very annoying nonetheless.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
CirrusSR22

I think the stages are caused by the springs on the throttle body (butterfly valves) vs. the pedal itself. I popped the cover off the throttle cable attachment and moved the valve by hand. There definitely is two levels of resistance and you can even see one spring twist, followed by the second one as you open the throttle more.

Also, if I remember correctly, aren't there two butterfly valves in the throttle body? Maybe the first part of the resistance opens one, then the second part opens the other? Someone take their intake boot off and play around with it. My guess is the auto vs. manual cars the same.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
clex2

CirrusSR22,

you're right. I just check the throttle body and there is a two stage spring mechanism. Mine kind of sticks if you stop between the two stages and I have felt it through the pedal itself. I may have to try to "rebuild" the mechanism to get rid of the stickiness. However, those with a manual, can you guys check your throttle body action for the two stages? Realoem states only one trhottle body part number for auto and manual.