318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,467 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,337 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
puffin04

Default My new Z3 with DASC

Hello everyone! I have been lurking around this forum for awhile and now have decided to post up the car i recently bought that had some problems. I ended up trading my 94 3000gt for a 96 Z3 black on black with a DASC on it. The car had some problems as it was leaking oil from the oil filter adapter, it was sluggish, and the TPS was not working.

As you can see the paint is pretty rough and who ever decided to painted should be hung. lol As you notice the hood is fiberglass which i dont know if i want to keep it or find a factory hood. It did not come with the shocks hence the board is holding up the hood. I have read that the shocks could crack or damage the fiberglass hood because the mounts are weak. Any thoughts on that?

As you can see how bad the paint job is. I also sand down the head lights and buffed them out with the buffing wheel.

I have read a good amount about fogging the air box so i went ahead and did that. Even though i like how well it is getting the cold air in, i think it looks a bit ghetto and want to put my fog lamp back.

More pictures of the fog box.

As you might as notice i removed the factory clutch fan because the blades where a little torn up. I have been reading about the horror stories about the fans coming apart and taking out the radiator so that is why it was removed. I will be adding an electric fan on down the road and since it is winter i have not notice a different in temperature at all. I am very well aware that it does not take much time to damage these engines when they over heat so i do keep an eye on that.

Here is the engine and the DASC. I had it completely apart replacing gaskets and also replacing all the plastic cooling barbs. It does not leak a drop of oil or any antifreeze. I wanted to make sure it was updated on its maintenance. I also did away with PCV and used one that i found at autozone. I also have a small oil catch can off of an air compressor that so far as been working great. No oil in the manifold so far.

Backside of the car.

As you can see the exhaust is kind of a joke who ever did it. It just runs into a flowmaster muffler with no chrome pipe at all. I have been looking for a catback but from all my research they are really expensive or are out of the US.

Read window is gone. It is a bit dirty but i tried buffing it out by hand which did help but was no where near close to perfect. I notice it is a stitched in window which tells me the top is not factory and has to be replaced.

PO was a smoker so i pulled out a lot of the interior and cleaned it including part of the dash and the seats. All i really need for the interior is the shift and e brake boot.
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/puffin04/20130218_150237_zps10a46786
puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
puffin04

Pretty slow today on the forums! I was hoping JohnnyBoy would comment so i can pick his brain!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
teetime4one

Vehicles

Welcome to the Org.
It's a cool little car. All of the problems you are looking at are found on any car of its age. Just take your time and get it back the way you want it. Nothing more than a project that looks like fun to drive.
There is a 2-stage compound used to clean windows on Jeeps. Try a 4x4 shop in your area...or local auto parts store. That stuff is made for plastic windows and will greatly improve the look and clarity of your back window.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
m44lee

welcome fellow dasc'er
as you've already gathered it is quite slow on here
but it makes up for that is the knowledge that is on here!
m44lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
mtlblue

looks like you're doing a great job bringing her back! for the hood shocks, you can use some old ones that don't hold the original hood up anymore. from what I've heard, they can be strong enough to hold up the lighter hood without forcing it. Or you could always somehow install the good old prop method . probably available at an autoparts or scrapyard.

I was suprised to see the original airbox can still be used with a DASC on the Z3, wont' fit in the ti, too tight.
enjoy
mtlblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
puffin04

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime4one View Post
Welcome to the Org.
It's a cool little car. All of the problems you are looking at are found on any car of its age. Just take your time and get it back the way you want it. Nothing more than a project that looks like fun to drive.
There is a 2-stage compound used to clean windows on Jeeps. Try a 4x4 shop in your area...or local auto parts store. That stuff is made for plastic windows and will greatly improve the look and clarity of your back window.
Thanks You! I have been taking my time with it and just figured out what was causing CEL and i can safe say i have no more check engine light! I will probably start working on the paint once it warms up outside. Going to paint in back to factory jet black. I will also look for the compound that you mention. I am sure i can find it on amazon. Thanks again!

Steffen Sparks
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
puffin04

Quote:
Originally Posted by m44lee View Post
welcome fellow dasc'er
as you've already gathered it is quite slow on here
but it makes up for that is the knowledge that is on here!
Thanks! I have been lurking in the shadows for awhile now and have pretty much have read all the DASC related threads on here. It sure is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Steffen Sparks
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
puffin04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlblue View Post
looks like you're doing a great job bringing her back! for the hood shocks, you can use some old ones that don't hold the original hood up anymore. from what I've heard, they can be strong enough to hold up the lighter hood without forcing it. Or you could always somehow install the good old prop method . probably available at an autoparts or scrapyard.

I was suprised to see the original airbox can still be used with a DASC on the Z3, wont' fit in the ti, too tight.
enjoy
Why Thank You! I was afraid if i put the original shocks back on the hood that is would teat up the fiberglass since it is much weaker then the metal one. But i will give it a shot! But good idea on finding some older worn out ones!

Yes the original air box does fit and i am keeping it until i upgrade to the M3 Mass sensor and air box. Which will be pretty soon i hope! There is a ton of room in the engine bay to work on the engine. Very surprised. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
puffin04

Well i went to the track last night and did about 4 runs. I felt my clutch was slipping the whole time because i was going through gears fast without any pickup. This is the best time that i did that night which i think is terrible.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
puffin04

Trying to figure out if this baby has been tapped or not. Just got off the phone with John Smith. Thanks again for all your help. Here is a few pictures of the DME. Thanks

Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
puffin04

I went ahead and order the 3.2 and the 3.4 pulley from pulley boys so we will see what the 3.4 will do. Need to figure out if this DME has code or not.

Steffen Sparks
Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
JP422

seeing that the original RRFPR is not mounted over the oil filter, do you have a reflash? Are the fuel injectors original? ... or was the FPR just relocated?

Nick G's DASC tune makes it run super smooth.
JP422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
puffin04

There is no FPR at all and the injectors are Lucus D1720BA injectors which i believe are 32lbs? There is no check engine light and the car runs good all the way to redline. Any thoughts who would have dont the coding?!

Steffen Sparks
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
JP422

Hmm, I wouldnt be able to tell myself, but my guess is you definitely have a tune.

I forgot what injectors the Technique Tuning setup uses, but I think you should be able to see some aluminum adapters at the base of the fuel injectors.

Or try to ask the PO about it.

You might have a stage2 TT program. There are others out there too, but TT's stage 2 is super smooth. Very nice, and uses stock MAF too. Their Stage3 uses a larger MAF.
JP422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
Monolith

The white sticker over the software version is not normal. Can you tell if someone wrote something on it that is mostly wiped off now? NickG did not cover my original factory software sticker after a flash. His Stage II kits have 30# injectors with MM adapters.
Mods: DASC, NickG Stage II DME software, 30# injectors, RRFPR removed, DISA Simulator, Secondary Air Pump relocated, bypass cooling hose removed, Fogged airbox, Bosch silver sparkplugs (F6DSR), Magnecore sparkplug wires (KV85), SeattleCircuit mpg adjuster circuit; Textar CeramicFusion brake pads; S/E/M auto trans selector with Euro software TCU; Royal Purple trans (MaxATF) & diff fluids; Koni FSD (F&R); Rogue RSMs; Strong Strut; Butt Strut; Bridgestone Fuzion ZR1 225/50/16 on Style 42's; hardtop; Footwell lighting; Interior lighting On/Off switchable; Euro intermittent wipers; Padded LeatherZ arm rests; Sisa Design Cabrio Wind Deflector;
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote