318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 AM   #1
gooten1

Lightbulb Fog Lights

I want fog lights...or driving lights...one. I think they make the front end look oh so much better. Which lights are better? ZKW or Hella? I know those are the two OE types...which is brighter? Do they both look similarly cool on the car? I like the whole chrome on black theme I have going now....chrome rings around the grille...chrome inside the corner lights...nothing flashy, but I like the look.

Also, how hard is it to wire them up? How does the foglight switch work inside the car? Having never had these driving lights...I want this to be good.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
aceyx

i had foglights installed on my car. about 400 bones; probably could have done it myself but i wanted to give the dealer some work (keep up the rep with them). unfortunately the car isn't prewired for them, which is why it was so expensive.

wiring requires putting some wires through the firewall and messing around with the dash. if you're comfortable with that go ahead.

driving vs. fog? i needed fogs because i used to drive through the pocono mtns (pa) and the white mountains (vt/nh). it seriously gets crappy there, but nowhere near the fog i've experienced in western europe.

i think either brand will work fine. i actually have two different types because i seem to attract tire treads in the road, and i can't see a difference other than one's older and has more pitmarks. may want to get stoneguards for them if they're new. get decent bulbs and make sure your grounding is okay and you'll be fine.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
maurolin

I did it myself. you DON'T have to buy the expensive BMW kit. just get the foglights, the brackest a roll of good cable a relay and a switch. (I used an actual E36 M3 fog light switch)
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
weezer

Maurolin,

Can you write step by step instructions how to install foglights. I've done it in my Audi, but it was such a hack job, it didn't quite look professional.
Also where on the dash did you put the switch.

Thanks,
Weeze
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
L84THSKY

I think I could do it myself. I realize the OEM fog light knob was opposite the headlight knob, but couldn't I just mount a rocker switch next to the ASC-T switch?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
maurolin

I'll post pics. I took the power lead from the HEADLIGHT fuse, and upgradded the fuse 1.5 amp more.
the switch I installed on one of the 3 empty slots on the left of the steering wheel. (left side of the dash)
the ground I gor from the front bumper support
I used heat shrink through out the whole wire and the foglight connectors will be changed ad I am going with the H7 conversion.
I also GUTTET the shield INSIDE the foglight and it is SO MUCH brighter!!
the hard part is getting the wire from the left Foglight to the right one. I went inside through the bumper reinforcement bar. What's great, is that you can have the fogs on along with your high beams or by themselves. Unlike the E36, high beams kill the fogs.

lighting wise, I installed in my ZKW a WHOLE projector hosing out of a 2003 M3, so I have the movable electronic Flap to another switch... and I can bling the Sun when I activate it!!!.
I am also going to install 9005 Super High intensity off road bulbs on the High beam side. conversion from H1 to 9005. I know... wierd but I like to see where I am going a 140mph!!
I have been thinking on moving the high beam H1 to the EXTRA hole the high beam ZKW's have, so when I activate the HID flaps, they come on too... now That's a LOT of light!!! and it all looks stock.
just make sure you use a RELAY and GOOD thick wire. (with LOTS of hairs in it) and a good ground.
I am going to be doing the work this sunday, so if I am done I will post the pictures on my server and you can all pick.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
maurolin

button off an e36