318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 940,539 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,610 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-21-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
wolferj-RIP

Default Picture thief?

So, what should I do when I find an ebay seller using my photos of my cars to sell their products (and I didn't buy them from that seller)?

1. I'm kinda flattered, who really cares?

2. Send a nice, but stern, email to cease and desist?

3. "Key" his car... (I happen to know where it is right now...)

4. Go to BF.c and leave derogatory statments about them (they are also a vendor there...), and get promptly banned?

5. Demand royalties...

I know that I am publishing photos through a public hosting site to a public forum, so I really don't have a legal leg to stand on. Also, I am not angry or anything like that. It's just funny (lame) that a vendor who is a major player in the BMW aftermarket can't go take their own picures?

Here is the auction link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...ayphotohosting
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
briansol

its against eBay's TOS actually.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ext-theft.html
Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
spidertri

Vehicles

lol, I had a feeling it was going to be them. You are absolutely right about being banned on bf.c, I can't believe the admins there are so unwilling to help the community. I'm pretty sure they would just tell you to get lost if you sent a cease and desist email or asked for royalties. So...that leaves do nothing or do...something.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
Their policies are about other ebay sellers/users, which I am not... The burden of proof seems to lie with me, proving I "own" (ie; copywrited) the photos to get them to act...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
lol, I had a feeling it was going to be them. ... So...that leaves do nothing or do...something.
His car is in a shop about 4 blocks from my house as we speak

Really, I don't care about the pictures, since they are not anything special. I just find it so pathetic that he needs to "steal" to sell...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
milehigh96caliti

I know what you mean James. That twit in Colorado Springs stole pics of Sean's car that the other guy posted to sell it. I called them and told them it was fraud...not to mention the wording in their ad didn't even match the car or pics thereof! They apologized and promptly removed them. But it is baloney...I guess you could take it as a tribute to your photography skills though...

http://hubpages.com/health/Enablers-...t-Away-With-It

1996 California Edition - SOLD
Modded by cali-ti
2012 e92 335is Twin Turbo convertible w/M package
2002 e46 330cic Sport w/cold weather package STOCK - SOLD

milehigh96caliti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
96cali

I vote for option 6- free product.

First contact them directly and ask that they remove your picture or at least be stand up and compensate you for the use of the image. Doing so will avoid public discussion about why a major supplier to bimmer enthusiasts cannot respect other peoples work muchless afford their own digital camera. Make note that bf.c is not the only forum in town and even getting banned wouldn't stop you from posting on epinions, yelp. etc.

Seems like a no brainer for them to send you a shift kit, some neon valve caps or some other sh!t they can't move vs. bad publicity.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
briansol

how to tell the world about this:

1) start a facebook group about hating the new layout
2) wait for millions to join
3) spam list with bmw propaganda
Old 03-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
BMW_Hatchback

Sorry Wolf, I can't stop laughing, its just hilarious that Umnitza keeps giving me reasons to stay away from them. If anything, I would feel flattered.
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
wolferj-RIP

No need to apologize, I pretty much agree... There are plenty of vendors out there to do business with, vendors who care about their customers and reputation...
Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
AquaCali

Default Picture Thief

For the present, contacting EBay would force the issue. In the future if you do not want your pictures used with out permission, you have to put your name on them using Photoshop or some other editing program. This is why you see pictures posted online with the owners name on them in a prominent spot so it cannot be easily edited out.
AquaCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
amancuso

I bought from *that* vendor about 4 years ago without an issue. I do agree about them using other people's pics for their gain being wrong. Also I'll bet you have an OEM bumper vs. their aftermarket replica. So strictly speaking, their ad is false advertising.

p.s. bf.c is sucking lately, it's always down and having problems.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
BimmerBum

Vehicles

I deal with this once a week. I actually troll eBay looking for my pictures.

This is what I do.

Send a message through eBay saying they have 24 hours to remove the picture before I report them to eBay and begin further legal action.

Both of which I am ready and willing to do but I have never had to go to the next step. People always take them down, knock on wood. I am never nasty, I don't name call or tell them how awful it is to steal photos.

Then I block them as a buyer on my listings...

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
I bought from *that* vendor about 4 years ago without an issue. I do agree about them using other people's pics for their gain being wrong. Also I'll bet you have an OEM bumper vs. their aftermarket replica. So strictly speaking, their ad is false advertising.
Every vendor has fans and enemies, but I have heard more negative feedback about him than any other. I have not purchased from him, so this is based on reading reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
For the present, contacting EBay would force the issue. In the future if you do not want your pictures used with out permission, you have to put your name on them using Photoshop or some other editing program. This is why you see pictures posted online with the owners name on them in a prominent spot so it cannot be easily edited out.
The funniest part is that this is what I would consider a "throw-away" image. I shall (in the future) put some kind of identifier on any image that I publish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
I deal with this once a week. I actually troll eBay looking for my pictures.

This is what I do.

Send a message through eBay saying they have 24 hours to remove the picture before I report them to eBay and begin further legal action.

Both of which I am ready and willing to do but I have never had to go to the next step. People always take them down, knock on wood. I am never nasty, I don't name call or tell them how awful it is to steal photos.
This is the course of action that I took. We shall see if the images are still there tomorrow...
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
DaedHead8

If my pictures were being used I don't see how it would negatively impact me so I don't think I'd care.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #15
tiFreak

Vehicles

when I first read the thread title and the beginning of the post I thought you meant someone was trying to sell a car and using pictures of yours, that would really piss me off, but honestly, if I saw my ti pop up as a display picture on extremedimensions.com I'd love it, I'd probably show it to everyone I know
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote