318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 966,287 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,972 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
NeoMishMoo

Default Refitting the turbo on my boston basket case.

bought this Boston green a month or so ago. The PO had a turbo on it but removed it before sale. He included everything with sale so it should be pretty easy to just bolt the whole thing on, problem is I know nothing about turbos. So hopefully you guys can help. Here are some pictures of what I'm working with.

Where do I start? Remove the current exhaust and then start with the headers and work my way down the exhaust? Then run the oil and air lines?
NeoMishMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
NeoMishMoo

Day one: Finally got the current exhaust manifold and pipe off the car. Was a little bit difficult. Starting to have some worries about finishing this whole install tomorrow, but hopefully it will go smoothly with forum support.

So where do I start with the install? Just put the turbo exhaust manifold on, then the turbo wastegate and blowoff valve? run the air and oil lines last?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Got your PM:

You should run your turbo oil line before installing the turbo. Looks like it is mostly there. I think you are missing a intercooler unless you are going to run around 6psi. I don't see a RRFPR, blow-off valve and a few rubber connections to connect all the charge piping. I don't think it is a good idea to try to finish in one day but good luck. Don't rush and do it right or you will be replacing the motor...
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
hotmilk400

i would def get an intercooler even if you were going to run less then 6psi. the compressor (turbo) makes the air VERY HOT right before it goes into the motor. that means the air is less dense, meaning the less O2 is going into your motor, making it less efficient compared to what it could be. if you force cooler air in, there is more O2 per cubic inch, meaning more power/mpg for your motor.

i assume you have one, just not pictured. did the PO say why he removed the turbo??

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Another thing I noticed. It looks like the exhaust manifold was leaking where it connects to the head on #3 & #4. I would check to ensure the manifold is true and flat on the mating surface.

You are better off using a tune on your DME then trying to use a RRFPR since they have not worked well in the past on 318 turbo motors.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
NeoMishMoo

PO said he couldn't get the money he wanted for the car with turbo installed. He was going to list the turbo on ebay and sell the car without. I caught him right before he sold the turbo and he included everything for an extra $600. I thought it was a good deal.

I don't think he had an exhaust manifold gasket on it. just permatex I think. The manifold had a leak when I got it, there was no gasket at all when I took it the manifold off.

Which brings me to my first problem. I ordered a manifold gasket but It got delayed. Not sure if I can use anything as a substitute.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
NeoMishMoo

I think the intercooler might be a little overkill...

Turbosmart FPR 800

Turbo Timer

He had an additional fuel pump installed. Vortech FMU and and adjustable Bell Engineering FMU. I'm worried the BEGI FMU might be a fake though...

Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 09-23-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
dguzzardo22

take lots of pics when you put it on . id like to see how everything fits
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
NeoMishMoo

Day Two is at a complete standstill. Exhaust manifold gaskets won't arrive until tuesday so without that Gasket I don't think that there is anything else that I can do... I guess I can mount the intercooler but other than that what can I do without the manifold gasket?

EDIT: Trying to put the intercooler on, then fuel pump, then the FMU i suppose.
Lets see what I can do without the exhaust manifold gasket... this intercooler itself is proving itself to be a real PITA

Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 09-23-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
hotmilk400

you should have told me you needed an exhaust manifold gasket, i could have had 2 of them sent to you really cheap. even overnighted them if you needed. but it is to late now i guess. i am just sitting on a hill of parts.. haha

i am very glad to see that it is a full kit. i was starting to think that maybe he got the best of you and only sold you half a kit that he had picked up form ebay for next to nothing or something.

keep us updated, we can try our best to help you get it on.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
NeoMishMoo

I'm not sure when mine are coming in hotmilk, if you have some new gaskets I'll take em! Priority should be quick from PA to KY

Got the intercooler mounted up.

I'm just worried because the intercooler is rubbing against this A/C line. the line was bent (I am assuming by orig installer to make the intercooler fit). Constant vibration won't hurt anything will it?

Here is the piping ran from the throttle body to intercooler.

Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 09-23-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Yes vibration will rub a hole in the intercooler or A/C line. You need to cut a piece of rubber and glue it in place between them two. I didn't have this issue and I think you have the same intercooler I have. You can't mount it 1/2 inch forward away from that pipe?

On gaskets the only one I use is the head to exhaust manifold. All other mating surfaces I use permatex copper manifold sealant and never have any leaks. With the gaskets instead of the copper sealant I was always having leaks

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 09-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
NeoMishMoo

Should I use permatex copper in addition to the gasket at the head to manifold connection? I'm not 100% sure the mating surface is 100% flat.

The A/C line is sitting directly on the seam of the intercooler, so I'm not as worried about the intercooler but I am worried about the A/C line. I can't move it anywhere. It is wedged between the A/C line and the bumper. I don't think its going any more forward. If you view that picture of the intercooler installed at full size you can see it is up against the bumper. It was a PITA to get in there I don't think I've got any wiggle room. I was thinking put a piece of leather at the rub point. Might be a little more durable than rubber?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
Should I use permatex copper in addition to the gasket at the head to manifold connection? I'm not 100% sure the mating surface is 100% flat.

The A/C line is sitting directly on the seam of the intercooler, so I'm not as worried about the intercooler but I am worried about the A/C line. I can't move it anywhere. It is wedged between the A/C line and the bumper. I don't think its going any more forward. If you view that picture of the intercooler installed at full size you can see it is up against the bumper. It was a PITA to get in there I don't think I've got any wiggle room. I was thinking put a piece of leather at the rub point. Might be a little more durable than rubber?
No sealer on the manifold to head gasket, the gasket will stick on both surfaces when installed correctly. I never use sealer and gaskets since they will smash and then slip out from the gasket sealer being a good lube. Check the manifold with a straight edge to ensure it is true, if not it needs to be machined or it will leak. If true you will have no issues with a new gasket. On the A/C line can it be unbolted from anywhere and bent in a little more? I did a lot of bending and relocation on mine so it fit right but not a bad squish bendlike yours shows in the picture. That pic shows a major pinch in the high side of your A/C system.

BTW that intercooler is the best you can get currently....Delta Flow which much better the plate and bar and considered the best

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 09-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
NeoMishMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
BTW that intercooler is the best you can get currently....Delta Flow which much better the plate and bar and considered the best
Thats good to hear. I'm pretty sure I got my money's worth. Whats your input on the rest of the components.