318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Borg561

Default Frost on inside of windshield?

So lately I've been having a problem with the inside of my windshield frosting over. About two weeks ago I had my windshield replaced because of cracks, and now I'm wondering what is wrong. Before I had it replaced, it would only lightly frost over where the cracks were. Now the entire thing is frosting over, and it's a hard frost.

I'm planning on calling the place tomorrow that replaced it. They have a lifetime warranty against leaks, and while it's not leaking water (it hasn't rained and I haven't put it through a car wash yet), it's definately leaking cold, moist air. It hasn't been above about 30F since it was replaced and I'm wondering if maybe that has not allowed the sealant to completely set or something.

Looking at the windshield, the side rubber piece is not laying flush against the window, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. It also goes overtop of the rubber at the top of the windshield and the side of the black plastic coverings at the base of the windshield (that I just replaced). Thoughts or ideas anyone before I call tomorrow? I'm really getting tired of scraping the inside and having to run the defroster for 10-15 minutes just to see out of my car.

Justin
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
b.u.ti-ful

I would say that definitely sounds like a warranty call to me.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Borg561

Yup. If anyone has some good, close-up shots of the side of the windshield where it meets the roof and the lower cowl at the hood, that would be great. Figured I'd print some off of how it *should* look when I end up having to take it back in (hopefully Wednesday). I'll try to take some pics with my phone when I go to lunch today and post them when I get home tonight or what it currently looks like.

I'll admit, I went to a generic auto glass place to get the windshield replaced, and it only cost $175 total, but they had won "best auto glass repair" for the last 3 years in the Best of Omaha survey (chosen by readers of a local magazine). Just checked and they have an A- rating with the BBB, so I'm guessing they'll fix it, somehow.

Justin
Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
the awakening

I posted up some quick pics of what you requested. I am not sure if the coin pictures will help. They are the last pictures in my Ti album. Here's the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/bzurawlow
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Borg561

Well, they do help. Unfortunately it confirms my suspicion that the side rubber grommet does overlap the upper one and the lower rubber/plastic grille piece (there's gotta be a proper term for it). I never looked at it closely before I had the windshield replaced. It's definately not sitting right though, as I can lay a coin flat on the windshield and slip it under the side grommet, on the driver's side at least. I think on the passenger side it's correct, or almost correct.

Justin
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg561 View Post
lower rubber/plastic grille piece (there's gotta be a proper term for it).
windshield cowl
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
windshield cowl
When I called the dealership to see if they had them in stock I think I said that, and the parts guy thought I was talking about the part that covers the cabin filter that's under the hood (what tipped me off is he said it was one piece). He must have simply been confused though, since that doesn't come close to the windshield.

Justin
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Borg561

Some good news. I took the car back to the glass place. They did a leak test on the windshield and the seal is 100% good. The thought was then that there was moisture getting trapped in the car (likely snow on the floormats) and that there was a small leak around one of the other windows. I'm pretty sure that would be the driver's window, though the new regulator in it is holding up.

So I got the car washed after that and when I got home I threw all four floor mats into the dryer. I put them back in the car that night when I went to work, and I haven't had any frost on the inside of the window since then. Looks like I'll be keeping the floor mats clear of snow and dry as best I can, considering all the snow we have.

Justin
Old 01-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
b.u.ti-ful

Interesting - so the problem is that the moisture can't get out anymore because the windshield is good now!

We are so used to our old cars behaving like they do so when something is working right we don't even recognize it.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote