318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

.
» Recent Threads
Age Demographics
10-30-2004 05:06 AM
Last post by Locus7
Today 03:04 AM
322 Replies, 87,216 Views
FS: 1998 Black BMW 318ti...
10-29-2016 07:52 AM
Last post by winky
Yesterday 11:31 PM
12 Replies, 8,907 Views
names for your TI
10-08-2004 04:48 AM
Last post by K12Pilot
Yesterday 02:07 PM
346 Replies, 81,407 Views
What model ti do you own?
02-26-2003 04:40 AM
Last post by K12Pilot
Yesterday 01:51 PM
324 Replies, 108,007 Views
New to the Ti but not...
Yesterday 01:48 PM
Last post by K12Pilot
Yesterday 01:48 PM
0 Replies, 81 Views
Long time swapped to...
11-16-2018 04:12 AM
Last post by Toolmaker
Yesterday 03:04 AM
2 Replies, 221 Views
FS Black 1997 318ti...
11-09-2018 01:05 AM
Last post by tmca
11-17-2018 09:14 PM
4 Replies, 898 Views
205/60r16 tires on model...
11-17-2018 06:02 PM
Last post by mrmikkelsen
11-17-2018 06:02 PM
0 Replies, 140 Views
SIR crankshaft tool
11-17-2018 04:56 AM
Last post by S.W.B.C
11-17-2018 04:56 AM
0 Replies, 176 Views
AutoCross Checklist (FAQ)
08-24-2006 05:39 PM
Last post by Zed330ti
11-16-2018 07:06 AM
10 Replies, 18,257 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Johjamkep
Member
 
Johjamkep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Taylorsville , Ky
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Default Do rear hubs & bearings hold up to power??

Not technically an induction question but I figured some of you might have run into this. I am building a Ti with a built M52 turbo aiming for 650whp. I know the Ti's have the smallest wheel bearings and honking rear hubs that stick out more than any other comparable model. My question is; if I achieve my hp goal will I definitely have issues breaking either of these components?? (based on your experience or situations you've heard of). This is something I need to figure out before ordering other things like brakes, axles, diff parts etc. I know I can buy M Roadster everything but obviously I'm trying to avoid it if not absolutely necessary. Also, this is for a street car, I don't ever plan on mounting slicks. Any input is appreciated!!
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
andakn
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: missouri
Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)
Default

You'll probably break the small case diff first that is if you can get enough traction. Unless you do some major mods 255's are about the widest tires will fit the wheel wells.
andakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #3
Johjamkep
Member
 
Johjamkep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Taylorsville , Ky
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Default

I found a solution for the brakes tonight. As for the diff, I'm using a medium case from an E30. But while we're talking about that, what's your thoughts on doing a quaife diff vs. Thayer Motorsports complete rebuild/beef up? If
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #4
andakn
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: missouri
Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)
Default

No experience with those, built a dinan s52 supercharged ti for a customer and he broke the m roadster diff with about 500hp and went with a rebuild and gear change from metric mechanic and all has been good these past few years for him. I think he went down to a 3.15 if i remember correctly
andakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
anassa
Senior Member
 
anassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 610
Vehicles
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johjamkep View Post
I found a solution for the brakes tonight. As for the diff, I'm using a medium case from an E30. But while we're talking about that, what's your thoughts on doing a quaife diff vs. Thayer Motorsports complete rebuild/beef up? If
What did you decide for the brakes?

Also is there a difference in strength between clutch type LSD vs Torsion? If the torsion diffs have stronger internals (no idea if true or not - just an idea) you can go go with that.

Seems like 188mm diffs are pretty strong: ?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=244612

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...case-diff-swap
__________________


***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 01-03-2017 at 05:21 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Johjamkep
Member
 
Johjamkep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Taylorsville , Ky
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Default

I found people who make adapters to fit e46 rear brakes and still keep my ebrake.
Not sure about the strength of Torsen vs. clutch type diffs. I have used quaife in FWD cars that held up beautifully for 7 seven years but the diff. alone is like $1500. Thayer can add two extra clutches and and cryo gear treatment for that price. I am using a 2.93 gear with pretty wide street tires. I think I might have to flip a coin on which route to go really, just hoping to come across someone with experience with either. I feel like either route is pretty strong and not ever mounting slicks should help with longevity. We'll see.
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #7
anassa
Senior Member
 
anassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 610
Vehicles
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johjamkep View Post
I found people who make adapters to fit e46 rear brakes and still keep my ebrake.
Not sure about the strength of Torsen vs. clutch type diffs. I have used quaife in FWD cars that held up beautifully for 7 seven years but the diff. alone is like $1500. Thayer can add two extra clutches and and cryo gear treatment for that price. I am using a 2.93 gear with pretty wide street tires. I think I might have to flip a coin on which route to go really, just hoping to come across someone with experience with either. I feel like either route is pretty strong and not ever mounting slicks should help with longevity. We'll see.

Are you going with the 300mm rear vented setup? I bought the adapters for those myself, I haven't installed them yet.

True, sounds like a plan, keeping to lower geared diff, maybe some thicker e30/custom axles, not too sticky tires to keep the weak link at the tire, not drive-train and you might be good to go.

Good luck!
__________________


***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
Johjamkep
Member
 
Johjamkep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Taylorsville , Ky
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Default Do rear hubs & bearings hold up to power??

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
Are you going with the 300mm rear vented setup? I bought the adapters for those myself, I haven't installed them yet.



True, sounds like a plan, keeping to lower geared diff, maybe some thicker e30/custom axles, not too sticky tires to keep the weak link at the tire, not drive-train and you might be good to go.



Good luck!


I found SRS Concepts, they make brake adapters that allow you to use E46 rear brakes (294mm) and retain the stock e-brake. Since I'm building a street car I am going that route. I will be looking into some beefy axles now though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
anassa
Senior Member
 
anassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 610
Vehicles
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johjamkep View Post
I found SRS Concepts, they make brake adapters that allow you to use E46 rear brakes (294mm) and retain the stock e-brake. Since I'm building a street car I am going that route. I will be looking into some beefy axles now though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay cool, I got the same set, I think you are going with 1series rotors though for 300mm instead of e46 rotors, the calipers are from the e46 though.

I am going with e46 325/328 calipers/rotors all around except for the rear which will have the adapter for 300mm rotor - front is also 300mm, it should be well balanced and the MC for the 318ti stock is very similar to the stock e46 one so pedal pressure/feel should be fine too. (My car is just m52 swapped ti, daily/street car)
__________________


***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
Johjamkep
Member
 
Johjamkep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Taylorsville , Ky
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
Okay cool, I got the same set, I think you are going with 1series rotors though for 300mm instead of e46 rotors, the calipers are from the e46 though.



I am going with e46 325/328 calipers/rotors all around except for the rear which will have the adapter for 300mm rotor - front is also 300mm, it should be well balanced and the MC for the 318ti stock is very similar to the stock e46 one so pedal pressure/feel should be fine too. (My car is just m52 swapped ti, daily/street car)


I am running E30 arms, axles, and bearings. That's why I am using the 294mm instead of the 128i brakes(300mm). If you are retaining the Ti hubs etc., then that 300mm kit looks great as well. Many people go back and forth about balance and bias but I feel like if that's an issue, it's not a big deal to install a proportioning valve. I have done that on other cars in the past. I may even ditch the abs unit altogether and do that anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Johjamkep
Member
 
Johjamkep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Taylorsville , Ky
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Default

[QUOTE=Johjamkep;383348]I am running E30 arms, axles, and bearings. That's why I am using the 294mm instead of the 128i brakes(300mm). If you are retaining the Ti hubs etc., then that 300mm kit looks great as well. Many people go back and forth about balance and bias but I feel like if that's an issue, it's not a big deal to install a proportioning valve. I have done that on other cars in the past. I may even ditch the abs unit altogether and do that anyway. Sorry about all of these quotes. I'm still figuring out this damn messaging system.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 318ti Sport for sale (soon) - very low mileage seh US and North America 25 02-26-2006 03:12 AM
Power Rear Windows gooten1 Exterior 19 02-02-2005 04:23 AM
Rear e-brake routing question.... clex2 Brakes 5 09-12-2004 04:57 AM
WTB 318ti rear t-arms, hubs and brakes jay US and North America 7 06-26-2004 05:37 PM
OEM BMW Versus Hartge Rear Wing writeb Exterior 8 06-11-2004 03:42 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:21 PM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2018, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 114.71 k/134.82 k (14.92%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.