318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Beatty754

Default Deep Throaty Sound

How much would i be looking to spend on my 96, to get that deep throaty sound that Magnaflows and whatnot provide?
Beatty754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
M3_KILL3R

what are you looking for? an intake will give you a throaty sound that will wake you up. theres a lot of exhaust out there they give a deep sound but our cars are 4 banggers so with any exhaust you have that raspy ricer sound no matter what at high RPMs. If you want the nicest set up get a cosmo CAI with a stromung or supersprint exhaust. Which will cost you anywhere from $300-$700
Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
GroggyinMO

About 4.95 at the grocery store for a Folgers coffee can like all the ricers use. An extra 20 bucks if you want it chrome plated.

Seriously put your money in to the suspension or some "tasteful" wheels and performance tires. You are not going to get the 20hp that anybody claims from their exhaust. Most aftermarket exhausts actually reduce performance. That is 1 area where the german engineers really earn their money. If BMW could have picked up a few hp with a different design, they sure would have done it at the factory.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just my opinion and lots of experience in this area
GroggyinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

hundred bucks for a magnaflow muffler and another 40 for a muffler shop to weld it up for you.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroggyinMO View Post
About 4.95 at the grocery store for a Folgers coffee can like all the ricers use. An extra 20 bucks if you want it chrome plated.

Seriously put your money in to the suspension or some "tasteful" wheels and performance tires. You are not going to get the 20hp that anybody claims from their exhaust. Most aftermarket exhausts actually reduce performance. That is 1 area where the german engineers really earn their money. If BMW could have picked up a few hp with a different design, they sure would have done it at the factory.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just my opinion and lots of experience in this area
i agree with you but its his choice i mean i first got my exhaust then intake just because i love the sound of an engine screaming at me while i go through a turn. i then put money on some nice tires then onto my suspension. its mods its not like if you just get suspension thats all your gonna have money for. make money to use on your car and dont listen to what people say. if you want your car to roar then so be it but please dont make it so you loss the bmw name, appearance and sound
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 AM   #6
Beatty754

Well im not looking for that raspy sound, but more of a deep roar, i youtubed Magnaflow and Eissenmann (spelling?) and they seem to be what im looking for i guess.

And your saying an AEM or Cosmo intake wouldnt do anything worth the money as far as performance?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatty754 View Post
Well im not looking for that raspy sound, but more of a deep roar, i youtubed Magnaflow and Eissenmann (spelling?) and they seem to be what im looking for i guess.

And your saying an AEM or Cosmo intake wouldnt do anything worth the money as far as performance?
most people on here will tell you it sucks and does nothing for performance but for some reason they either own one or go out and buy one. i personally have a short ram with a heatsheild and i feel a significant difference in pick up and midrange. its worth $100 i think
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
Beatty754

Thing is tho, it prolly wouldnt be worth it all for an automatic right.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Thing is tho, it prolly wouldnt be worth it all for an automatic right.
our socal member Marv17 has one on his auto and he loves it. says it helped him a lot on pick up and the sound is good too... buy it dude its only $100 or if you want go to the local autozone pick up a cone filter, a MAF inverter, and a hanger for $40. make a heatsheild and there you go, cheap good intake right there.
exhaust on an auto car is a headache, changes into the rpm where most of the drone is. IMO dont get an exhaust on an auto car.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
Beatty754

So youd suggest a cosmo? ive heard good things about AEM
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #11
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
So youd suggest a cosmo? ive heard good things about AEM
AEM is a great intake company but i dont think they make it for our cars and if they do their probably ridiculously expensive for a tube. to be honest a CAI is just for looks and sound, maybe a 1hp increase. now people on here can argue over and over but for $100 its not a bad mod that gives you a deep engine tone.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
Beatty754

After looking around at them i guess ill go with the 98 dollar one, i cant see the EVO3.5 piping being that much of a step up for 30 bucks.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 AM   #13
M3_KILL3R

its not a significant upgrade than the 100 one. the 30 dollars is not worth it...
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
Beatty754

I guess im set in that department then, thanks for the help.

One last thing tho, anything i should know before looking into shocks/dinan chip? Just to save myself some time if its completely useless or not
Old 10-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
I guess im set in that department then, thanks for the help.

One last thing tho, anything i should know before looking into shocks/dinan chip? Just to save myself some time if its completely useless or not
any time. well what do you mean by shocks? if you want to just upgrade shocks you wont get much of a suspension upgrade. if your car is a 96 you cant chip it you have to get a remap but you can get a tranny chip because you have an auto and people on here have it and say good things about it. heres my $0.02 buy some m-tech springs (if your car isnt a sport) and that will give you a good handeling upgrade wihout hurting your wallet. get the tranny chip for quicker shifts and a little more power.