318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,864 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
GDB

When it comes to something common, like changing a clutch, I don't see any reason not to take it to a non BMW shop (I personally would do it myself, but that's besides the point). Changing the clutch on a BMW, Chevy, Nissan, or anything else that's rwd is virtually the same process.

Oh, and since this is your first time, if you have a friend that's ever changed a clutch before see if they will give you a hand. Like I said, the basic process is the same.

Good luck
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #17
1uvaknd

by the way from what ive gathered you have to be carefull with having the dualmass flywheel resurfaced. from talking to mechanics and reading post, to searching the net about that issue ive been told that the flywheel is a two piece design and its difficults to balance when on the machine so it may make for an uneven cut. also if to much is cut and goes below the recommended depth the flywheel will lose its rigidity and could shatter while driving the car which could really f**ck things up. dont know how true this stuff is but ive talked to about 10 mechs, scoured the forums and net and basically they say the same thing you shouldnt resurface the flywheel. but guys if it works out more power to you good luck
M-Technic Front/Rear, M3 Side Skirts & Mirrors, MS Roof Wing, Euro Tail Lights, Projector Signals, ADR M Sport 18x8.5, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstien Sport Shocks, E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts, M Roadster Rear Shock Mount Plates, Momo Shift Knob, Bavauto 8mm Perf Wires, K&N Cone Filter, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Cross Drilled Rotors, 20 Piece Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, NR White Guage Face, X-Brace, BMP Strut Tower Brace, UUC stage 2 flywheel, and SS clutch line
1uvaknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #18
marleymon

Question resurfacing a dual-mass a no no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uvaknd
by the way from what ive gathered you have to be carefull with having the dualmass flywheel resurfaced. from talking to mechanics and reading post, to searching the net about that issue ive been told that the flywheel is a two piece design and its difficults to balance when on the machine so it may make for an uneven cut. also if to much is cut and goes below the recommended depth the flywheel will lose its rigidity and could shatter while driving the car which could really f**ck things up. dont know how true this stuff is but ive talked to about 10 mechs, scoured the forums and net and basically they say the same thing you shouldnt resurface the flywheel. but guys if it works out more power to you good luck
Pretty much what I was told also. Maybe proof I found a good import mechanic ?(rare in northern mi.)-I mean yeah, a new flywheel equals more $ for the job, but do I want to mess with a refurb and take a chance?.? Other prob is a new one is not cheap from what I hear.

anyone who's had it done, please ring in on the results.

josh
Old 06-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
hubrisin

I just had my clutch done, the throw-out bearing was near faliure. The entire car is quiet, I can't hear the car while it's on. With all the new parts the car accelerates much faster effortlessly. With the new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out and pilor bearings, with a fly-wheel resurface, all at $775.
hubrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #20
campaiar

I just did all of this myself. Total cost was around $1100.

Course, the car was an automatic when I started.

...and yes its runs MUCH better now...
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #21
1uvaknd

just ordered the UUC ltw flywheel & UUC Stainless Steel Clutch Line from understeer now i have to get the bills organized and then the m5 clutch. slowly but surely hope things work out as planned. by the way the thing about balancing the flywheel and clutch whats the deal with that, is it really neccesary i talked to cossieturbo and he said he had issues when he didnt do it but then i called UUC and they told me i didnt have to. i mean i dont want to do the job twice but when you replace a clutch and flywheel i havent heard of anyone balancing them
M-Technic Front/Rear, M3 Side Skirts & Mirrors, MS Roof Wing, Euro Tail Lights, Projector Signals, ADR M Sport 18x8.5, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstien Sport Shocks, E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts, M Roadster Rear Shock Mount Plates, Momo Shift Knob, Bavauto 8mm Perf Wires, K&N Cone Filter, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Cross Drilled Rotors, 20 Piece Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, NR White Guage Face, X-Brace, BMP Strut Tower Brace, UUC stage 2 flywheel, and SS clutch line
Old 07-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #22
pdxmotorhead

Its too cheap to have it done to skip.

Get a GOOD engine shop to balance the flywheel and clutch cover.
It will almost always shift smoother and rev smoother if you do this...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #23
1uvaknd

what are the disadvanteages og not balancing it and what is actually intalled in doing the job? does anyone know im just curious
Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #24
1uvaknd

well guys i just got the trans out on sat and holy sh!t it didnt look pretty inside. i had metal shavings from the broken throwout bearing and one of the teeth from the pressure plate actually broke off. its crazy. took pics hopefully they load if not give me some help please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (1).jpg Views:	97 Size:	33.8 KB ID:	2243   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (2).jpg Views:	103 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	2244   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (4).jpg Views:	100 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	2245  

Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (5).jpg Views:	96 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	2246   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (6).jpg Views:	99 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	2247  
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #25
1uvaknd

heres some more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (10).jpg Views:	98 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	2248   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (11).jpg Views:	97 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	2249   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (14).jpg Views:	98 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	2250  

Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (16).jpg Views:	97 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	2251   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (22).jpg Views:	92 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	2252  
Old 07-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #26
1uvaknd

and some more, now when i have time ill take pics of the stuff im putting in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (26).jpg Views:	96 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	2253   Click image for larger version Name:	clutch job (27).jpg Views:	95 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	2254  
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
1uvaknd

sorry guys i got to excited and forgot to take picsbut ill write back soon