318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 947,790 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,646 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
b-rad

Default EWS delete

A few days ago my DME was fried in the rain and now i cant start. Crank but no spark or fuel. Ive tested and had a few semi-professional opinions on it, and everything points to DME. I have a new one coming in a few days and need to know how to disable the EWS-II system in my '95ti so i can install the replacement DME. I know Alaska Blue has done this, but maybe someone else can chime in?
Thanks!
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
A few days ago my DME was fried in the rain and now i cant start. Crank but no spark or fuel. Ive tested and had a few semi-professional opinions on it, and everything points to DME. I have a new one coming in a few days and need to know how to disable the EWS-II system in my '95ti so i can install the replacement DME. I know Alaska Blue has done this, but maybe someone else can chime in?
Thanks!
The EWS in a 1995 OBD-I Ti is not tied to the DME. I have two different DME's, one with stock tune, one with a 91+ octane tune, and I can change them back and forth without messing with EWS.

My understanding is that on a 95 with EWS, the key is tied to the EWS unit. If the keys matches, the EWS tells the DME to start. It is not like the OBDII systems where the key, EWS, and DME all have to match.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
b-rad

Alright, ill try it i suppose. It had been my understanding that starting 1/95 it was EWS-II, which was tied to DME?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
RidingSimple

Quote:
Alright, ill try it i suppose. It had been my understanding that starting 1/95 it was EWS-II, which was tied to DME?
Yeah if you drive a 1/95+ 1995 318ti, you have the 282 ending DME with EWS. If you have a non EWS DME on the way, it is probably a 990 ending one. Which means you cannot install that and expect the car to start. You will need to cut pin 7 at the diagnostic port, or pin 66 at the back of the DME (same wire). I will not be held responsible if this messes it up though, I am only reporting from what I have read on the forums. I am in somewhat the same position, I bought a 990 DME performance chip that should be here tomorrow (to install in my 282 DME build date 4/95 car), and if I install it in my 282 DME, the car will just crank but not start. So I have been told to just snip wire 7 and pull the EWS out of the car completely, which I will be doing shortly.
RidingSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
RidingSimple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
The EWS in a 1995 OBD-I Ti is not tied to the DME. I have two different DME's, one with stock tune, one with a 91+ octane tune, and I can change them back and forth without messing with EWS.

My understanding is that on a 95 with EWS, the key is tied to the EWS unit. If the keys matches, the EWS tells the DME to start. It is not like the OBDII systems where the key, EWS, and DME all have to match.

This is true. ^

EDIT: Which means putting a entire new non EWS DME into a EWS car should work without snipping wires. Err I feel dumb now.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
mohaughn

Quote:
The 282 DME does have EWS. But it does not check the codes against the DME. There is no coding to the DME itself. Just the EWS to the key.

My information is in regards to the 282 DME. At least the way I described it is the way that it works in my car. YMMV..
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
b-rad

The DME coming to me is 282, same as pulled from my car. So it sounds like i shouldnt need to reflash anything? No need to mod anything either?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
RidingSimple

Quote:
The DME coming to me is 282, same as pulled from my car. So it sounds like i shouldnt need to reflash anything? No need to mod anything either?
Well that is a good thing then. Same DME on OBD1 EWS cars=no EWS coding at dealership like on OBD2 cars. You should be set.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
b-rad

Ok, well i got my new DME installed. I now have a CEL with key in run position, so at least im getting somewhere. Car cranks, but no start. Seems that its not getting fuel, as no smell in exhaust. I dont know if its getting spark, i had to leave for work before i could check..

So my question still remains, could this be an EWS related thing? I've heard that EWS will disable ignition and/or fuel while still letting it crank?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
mohaughn

Read the CEL code. Turn the car ignition on, and then immediately press and release the gas pedal 5 times. The CEL will begin flashing. Count the number of short flashes as a single number. The long pause seperates the number.

You can google search for OBDI five pedal method in google if you need more help reading the CEL code.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
b-rad

Forgot to mention i did read CEL. It kept giving me code '3214'. This does not seem to match up with anything?
Im at the point where im trying to find a shop to align the EWS, as im out of ideas.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
GardenBeast

wait... this cutting wire 66 and stuff. would that allow me to put a 1994 chip in my 1995 ti?

i was told the difference was EWS.
GardenBeast is offline   Reply With Quote