318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-28-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
fat-ti

Default Help! Have spark, Have fuel, NO START

95 ti w/ dasc, went out to start it, it bobbled a couple of times, then would not start. If you let the car sit for about an hour, and try to start it again, it will bobble a couple of times, and not start. After it bobbles and dies, it will not bobble at all...just crank. I have checked the spark, that is fine. I have checked the fuel, that is fine. Does anybody know if this is the throttle position senser, or what? Please help!
Thanks in advance!
fat-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
fat-ti

Is there any other sensers I am forgetting about trying?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
fat-ti

Ran the pedal method check engine test...Check engine light has not been on, but thought I would scan it. All it came up with was 1225 - knock sensor 1. Would this cause the no starty?
Thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
dave45056

Knock sensors typically don't make a car not start. They simply cause the car to adjust the timing.
Since you have spark and fuel, try doing a compression check.
Also, have you done any maintenence or mods to the car lately?
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Check your AFM, it's directly after your air filter.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
fat-ti

I have looked at the air fuel meter, and looks absolutly fine. I did a compression test and and all cylinders are within spec. Could this be the fuel pressure regulator off the dasc went to crap. The bracket for that had broken and was bouncing off of the belt until I noticed it and made a new bracket. The car only has 88000 miles on it. Does anybody know how to test the fpr that comes with the DASC? I took the hose off of it that runs to the fuel rail, and fuel shot out with some good force when cranking the engine. Is there a way to check the amount of fuel that accumulates in a certain amount of time? I tried it this morning again, and it just bobbled and died...though it was going to start, and then nothing. I thought it could be flooding, because after it bobbles, the is no way to get it to bobble again, unless you wait for a long time. Just a thought....let me know what you think.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I have some friends in Appleton that might be able to help you out. Send me a PM with your cell number. (or tow it to Madison and I'll get it running )

Did you hook up the fuel hoses correctly on the DASC pressure regulator? Is the vacuum line hooked up? The car will idle without the DASC regulator, so I doubt that is the problem. The DASC regulator installs on the return fuel line, so even if it was busted, the car would still start. Is the AFM installed in the right direction?

What happens when you hold the gas pedal down and crank it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-ti View Post
I have looked at the air fuel meter, and looks absolutly fine. I did a compression test and and all cylinders are within spec. Could this be the fuel pressure regulator off the dasc went to crap. The bracket for that had broken and was bouncing off of the belt until I noticed it and made a new bracket. The car only has 88000 miles on it. Does anybody know how to test the fpr that comes with the DASC? I took the hose off of it that runs to the fuel rail, and fuel shot out with some good force when cranking the engine. Is there a way to check the amount of fuel that accumulates in a certain amount of time? I tried it this morning again, and it just bobbled and died...though it was going to start, and then nothing. I thought it could be flooding, because after it bobbles, the is no way to get it to bobble again, unless you wait for a long time. Just a thought....let me know what you think.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
fat-ti

DASC was installed when I purchased the car...which was approx. a year ago. I have put about 8000 miles on it since, so I doubt that it is the install with that. I am guessing that it has something to do with some sensor? I have no clue, going out to look at it again. Wish me luck.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Do you have a code reader?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
fat-ti

I have an obd2 scanner, but nothing specific for BMW obd1...Do you know where to get one cheap. I have always done the gas pedal method.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #11
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Hmmm...Are you sure your have fuel pressure? There is a pressure release valve on the fuel rail (on the m44, not sure about the m42). Release pressure with the key off, turn the key on, release again, is there still fuel coming out? When my fuel pump died (at 130k miles) it did the same thing. I can't think of anything else that would stop the car from starting.

I have a BMW code reader. If you can wait until next weekend I can probably drive up and help you out. My friend in Appleton has 3 Skylines at his place (an R32, R32 GTR and an R33) I need to see/drive these cars.

Who did you buy the DASC 318ti from? I didn't know of any other DASC'd 318s in the state.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #12
fat-ti

I took off the fuel line that comes from the canister with the vaccum lines on it and it violently sprayed fuel from it with the key on....that might have just been the releif pressure? I got the car from a dealer only auction when I owned my own car lot. I was looking for a ti for some time (I had a bunch of gti's and always wanted a ti when I owned them) and one came up at the Fond Du Lac auction. I didn't even see that it was a ti, had some crappy double decker wing on it, and it is a nasty oarnge color with a black stripe up it. Actually when I walked into the auction and saw the car, I laughed at it, thinking who could do that to a beamer, then I saw it was a ti, and I took another look at it, ended up having bilstein suspension, m3 wheels, and a downing atlanta supercharger kit, with only 79,000 miles on it. I have painted many cars before, so I can look beyond the oarnge with a black stripe. Picked it up for 3200.00, now all I have to do is figure out what color to paint it, stuck between that crazy dark blue color, or black. Oh, I took off the double decker wing, and threw it in the parking lot, before I drove it home. Had a whole bunch of minor things wrong with it, fixed all of that, and drove it for about 8000 miles this summer. It has been one of the funest cars I've owned...And I've had some really nice gti's. Now it comes time to strip the car and paint it, it don't start! Figures.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:02 AM   #13
fat-ti

Update - I got the car started today, and it ran for about 1 min. ;however, it was only running on about 2-3 cylinders, it was chugging really bad. This was after I let the car sit for at least 20 hours without starting it. I am sure I had it pretty flooded from the day before, so my next step is to pull all of the plugs and clean them. Anybody have any better ideas?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #14
aceyx

Post a sound file and pictures of your plugs.