318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
lilflip

Default Help!!! stripped oil pan..

ok so i stripped my oil pan while doing an oil change...i tighten the drain plug to spec...but it still dripped a little...so i bought an oversized plug 3/4 M12x1.5...it worked in fine but still drips....the gasket that came with it was metal and rubber but it didnt hold the leak....best route with out spending much money because I am currently in the slow process of obtaining a new M52 motor....so i need a quick fix until then...so prolly 2 or 3 more oil changes before a new motor may be in.....I do not mind using the top side oil changer until the new motor comes in....

Please advise....I have read almost all responses and thread about this on alot of the bimmer forums....

1 JB weld with the oversized plug..
2 tap it out to 14 and use a Mercedes Benz drain plug
3 New drain plug washer
4 Loctite with oversized plug
5 new oil pan but I really do not see the point since there will be a new motor soon.....

HELPPP PLEASE

m42 plenty of mods.
lilflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Is your oil pan cracked? You can crack the oil pan if you cross threaded the bolt back in.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Is your oil pan cracked? You can crack the oil pan if you cross threaded the bolt back in.
The reason BMW uses a hollow drain plug is so that the plug breaks before the pan cracks. The oil pan is fairly thick, given the amount of abuse it sees under the car.

Drain all the oil, this will take a LONG time, get the hole dry and use some quick dry epoxy to seal the plug. Use a top feeder for oil changes.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
lilflip

no the oil pan is not cracked....i am definitely using a top side oil changer...i already used it during this ordeal....as for the quick dry epoxy...any ideas on the company who makes it...or a specific one i should use. I plan on doing this on wednesday....the car is sitting in the driveway on jack stands and drained of its oil....first i used a rubber gasket but it melted and did not hold...

thanks for the info...more would be good but im up for whatever...

m42 plenty of mods.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilflip View Post
no the oil pan is not cracked....i am definitely using a top side oil changer...i already used it during this ordeal....as for the quick dry epoxy...any ideas on the company who makes it...or a specific one i should use. I plan on doing this on wednesday....the car is sitting in the driveway on jack stands and drained of its oil....first i used a rubber gasket but it melted and did not hold...

thanks for the info...more would be good but im up for whatever...
Try the liquid JB Weld stuff, I believe it's a two part epoxy.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
CirrusSR22

lilflip, just yesterday I bought some waterproof, flexible two-part marine epoxy at Home Depot. It's made by the Super Glue Company. That might work for you.

I have messed up drain threads, but thankfully they weren't completely destroyed. There was just enough the get a new crush washer in there and torque the plug to spec. I haven't touched it in years, and thankfully it doesn't leak. I've been using a topside changer even since.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
The reason BMW uses a hollow drain plug is so that the plug breaks before the pan cracks. The oil pan is fairly thick, given the amount of abuse it sees under the car.

Drain all the oil, this will take a LONG time, get the hole dry and use some quick dry epoxy to seal the plug. Use a top feeder for oil changes.

Well my oil pan got a 5 inch crack from cross threading the bolt.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Well my oil pan got a 5 inch crack from cross threading the bolt.
Impressive. I can't imagine the amount of force that would be required to split an oil pan.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Impressive. I can't imagine the amount of force that would be required to split an oil pan.
It was tightened by hand then used the wrench and got it snugg. Woke up the next morning with oil all down my driveway and heading towards the sewer. We tapped the whole out put a double plug in and used an expoxy covered the crack and sealed the bolt. It's been like that for 5yrs and the expoxy is working wonders.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
lilflip

what kind of epoxy...i think that would be what i need Tyler....hahaha

m42 plenty of mods.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #11
parttimer

I imagine regular RTV(?) gasket sealer would also work as long as you can let is set up for a day.

JB Weld would be permenant and is VERY good stuff. I have fixed holes all over older cars with that (moslty gas tanks). You could even retap the JB Weld to accept the original drain plug. Have done that too (on a Ford).
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #12
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilflip View Post
what kind of epoxy...i think that would be what i need Tyler....hahaha
Geez i'm not sure it's something my father had at his auto shop from years ago. There is 2 expoxies and you mix them together then you better put it on something before it cures. Heat makes it stronger so the first time i warmed the car up after that it was golden.

I'll try and find out for you tonight..

Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #13
parttimer

Quote:
Geez i'm not sure it's something my father had at his auto shop from years ago. There is 2 expoxies and you mix them together then you better put it on something before it cures. Heat makes it stronger so the first time i warmed the car up after that it was golden.

I'll try and find out for you tonight..
The name is "JB WELD." I've tried to attach a picture (I've never done it before).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	jbweld.jpg Views:	173 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	3128  
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
lilflip

ok..so i went to fix it up...the outer lip of the threads were gone on the bottom of the hole...that was one of the problems...and above the hole it was CRACKED about probably from putting the oversized plug in there(3mm crack...good looks Tyler)...i managed to patch that up and also recover the lip with JB Weld...stuff is great.....but it still leaks a little from the crack and not from the drain plug...I also used a little permatex thread sealant...tonight im going to patch it up somemore to make sure that crack doesnt cause more leakage....other than that it worked great....with the heat it hardened much better...but while i was doing it last night...it was like 35 degrees....so it took a little longer to cure....thanks to all who helped it is much appreciated...im sure i will be on the forums more once...the beginning stages of the motor swap...

m42 plenty of mods.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #15
steve318ti

How you do your Oil changes after you sealed the drain plug?
steve318ti is offline   Reply With Quote