318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,103 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,049 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,292 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Eric

Default ABS / ASC bye bye in thick snow... Problem Solved

Since I got it about five years ago, my ti has had the ABS and ASC lights come on (with no ABS or ASC function) four or five times, all after driving in heavy wet snow / slush. All returns to normal after a thaw (usually a few days).

I have assumed that snow is packing around one of the wheel sensors (probably rear), but never tried to find it (who wants to lie in wet snow screwing around under the car?), but the last three times this has happened have all been this year, and even though it's fun fishtailing around spraying slush and doing doughnuts, I'm getting tired of not having ABS and ASC at exactly the times when I most need them.

Anyone had this happen?

Any advice?

Thanks,

- Eric

Last edited by Eric; 05-13-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Solved Problem
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

When the ASC+T light comes on, that indicates that the system has been activated and is working. (Unless you're referring to a different light.) Are you sure that the ASC is not functioning when the light comes on?

I'm not sure but I'd assume that the ABS system does the same thing.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

^^^+1

On ice or snow, there's really nothing you can do to stop the drive wheel from spinning besides letting off the throttle. When the vehicle senses traction loss ie; wheel slippage(one wheel spinning faster than the other three), it activates ASC which cuts off airflow to the engine and applies braking to the opposite wheels. During this time, you'll see the ASC light flash until traction is regained. You can however, turn ASC off by pressing the button. You'll see the light illuminate and it will remain illuminated until you press the button again. The ABS works the same way, but you can't turn it off. If the vehicle senses skidding, the ABS pump will activate and you'll hear a buzzing sound along with a pulsating feel in the pedal.

Now if your system is remaining on for days, then you probably have an issue. Perhaps you have a cracked/frayed wire, dirty ABS sensors(don't try to remove the fronts, they'll crumble if you do). Another cause of these problems would be if you're running differnt diameter tires. The vehicle will think one wheel is spinning at a different rate as the others(which it would be), and it would trigger ABS and/or ASC. I'd recommend investing in some nice snow tires.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Mr. Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
^^^+1

(don't try to remove the fronts, they'll crumble if you do)
+1 what a nightmare.

OP, faulty abs sensors are a common fail. These systems(ABS & ASC+T) are built on top of each other, meaning linked somehow. If one fails, so will the other. *i feel like a just quoted the matrix*.

I have had the same issue, its definately a headscratcher. You need a code reader and and new sensors most likely-

good luck!

Last edited by roadrash; 01-20-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Mr. Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
zboot

It is nothing a code reader can find. I had the same problem on my car - from time to time in the snow, the ABS/ASC would go out. A couple days later it would be ok. It was definitely an electrical connection issue - in my case because of bad splicing in of the e30 wheel speed sensors. In your case, your stock connector could be worn or damaged or just not well cleaned. When you get a chance, get under the rear end, check the wires for breaks or frays. If ok, then check the connector housing (The wires are usually have plastic clips to hold them along the trailing arm then there is a larger plastic housing for the ABS and brake wear sensors connectors on the trailing arm as well) - by taking it apart, cleaning it as best you can, then putting it back.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Eric

Sorry, guys. The ASC light is ALWAYS on.

When the ASC light FLASHES on, it means the ASC is working.

When it is on steadily, along with the ABS light, whenever the car is running, it means the system isn't working (and no, the ASC is not working, and neither is the ABS).

I'll check those connectors when I can - couild be salt water got into them, I suppose.

- Eric

ps: the reason the two systems fail together is that the ASC uses the ABS sensor system to determine whether a rear wheel is slipping.

Last edited by Eric; 01-21-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Hwy1Strat

Exclamation

I just had the same thing happen to me today. The ABS light and ASC light came on and stayed light (not going out or flashing).

We just got 9" of snow last night and my 1997 318ti was plowed in. I dug it out as best I could. To get it onto the street I still had to drive in snow that was up to the bottom of the car. The lights came on immediately after I got out of the drift. I tried to shut down and restart the car, but No ABS or ASC.

I think that the reason why ACS goes out with the ABS in this case is that both systems use the ABS wheel speed sensors and brakes to do different jobs.

For ABS it's simple, it's controls wheel lock-up under braking.

For ASC, the wheel sensors are used when the brakes aren't applied to sense when one drive wheel is going significantly faster than the other (wheel spin). Since the diff is open (at least on my car) the ABS system then applies brake pulses to the spinning wheel. The mechanical open differential then splits the engine torque to the non-spinning wheel. This is how traction control is done on many cars. It uses the ABS system.

We shall see if my issue also goes away in a couple of days. I suspect that water (from melted snow) has migrated into a connector via a dry rotted seal, shorted the sensor, and tripped the light.

At least I hope it clears in a day or so. ;-)

~Mike R~
Hwy1Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Eric

Default Still no ABS or ASC here...

Interestingly, on my car, after the most recent episode (about 2-3 weeks ago), the lights never went out again.

It had snowed, lights had come on, and for a few days, the lights would go off when first starting off in the morning, then come on again after a few miles and stay on until the next day.

One day, they turned off. The roads were dry. I drove around doing errands, and they stayed off. I found a deep puddle in a parking lot, and drove through it fast, to see what would happen. The lights came on about five minutes later (NOT right away).

The next morning they were off again. It was warm (40°F) and dry, so I jacked up the car and checked all of the wheel sensor connector plugs. They all looked clean and dry inside. I put them back together with Vaseline (protects against water and corrosion, doesn't affect continuity).

After that, the lights were on, and haven't gone out since, so, obviously, it's something I did when I manipulated the connectors. (It's not the Vaseline, since that doesn't conduct electricity, and would be pushed out of the way as the connector blades slid against each other in the plug.) My guess is that it is the mud / sand mix compacted onto the tops of the front plugs - if there is enough salt in it, and if some of the salt has gotten onto the bare parts of the wires, it can be leaking current across the leads, which might be enough to confuse the computer.

Next time we get a few days of thaw, I'll try really hosing all of the connectors with fresh water to rinse the dirt and salt out of them (maybe the sensors, too), and see what happens. I'll have to check after I do each one to see whether it fixes it - I didn't do that when I played with them before, so now I don't know which one it was that caused the problem.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll take out each sensor and look at them and at the reluctors and make sure they are clean and intact. If that doesn't do it, I may just go nuclear, snip out all of the plugs, and solder all of the wires together. If that doesn't do it, I'll probably give up and put neat little pieces of electrical tape over the warning lights, like I did with the airbag light...

- Eric

Last edited by Eric; 02-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Hwy1Strat

I had to run a errand at lunch, both lights were out. Both the ABS and ACS were working OK again. So in my case the system reset it's self.

I have never had this happen before. So I will keep an eye on it and let everyone know what happens.

BTW, if you have to get ABS wheels speed sensors shop around on-line. I saw the same brand OEM replacement units got for extremely different prices between vendors. The OEM's (with BMW part numbers) are made by ATE (at least for 1997). About $280 for all 4 was the cheapest price I could find.

~Mike R~
Hwy1Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
MacUser

Have you guys considered this option:

MOVE SOMEWHERE WITH LESS SNOW!

Although with recent weather patterns, I'm sure where that would be! After spending three days digging my ti out from my rear garage, I'm ready to move!
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUser View Post

MOVE SOMEWHERE WITH LESS SNOW!
Yeah.

Let me know how that's working out for you...

- Eric
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #12
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yeah.

Let me know how that's working out for you...

- Eric
So far? Not so good!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #13
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
So far? Not so good!
Well, you could always try Key West -

I hear they only got flurries today...

- Eric
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #14
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Well, you could always try Key West -

I hear they only got flurries today...

- Eric
They had a low of 54 degrees F in Key West today. I'll assume there was no accumulation.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #15
wolferj-RIP

Ummm, move to the SF Bay Area? No snow, just rain and earthquakes! Much easier to deal with...

/threadjack
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote