318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

.
» Recent Threads
Mostly new to cars and a...
07-11-2019 09:28 PM
Last post by paul somlo
Today 02:33 AM
4 Replies, 359 Views
318to supercharger kit
Yesterday 09:39 PM
Last post by jacksondnm02
Yesterday 09:39 PM
0 Replies, 121 Views
Seeking 318ti with...
06-30-2019 07:36 PM
Last post by Trusted-1
07-14-2019 07:26 PM
7 Replies, 1,278 Views
TWO! 1996 California Top...
07-14-2019 07:25 PM
Last post by Trusted-1
07-14-2019 07:25 PM
0 Replies, 191 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by J!m
07-12-2019 10:03 PM
147 Replies, 90,462 Views
Rudolph the Red 318ti
05-06-2019 10:49 PM
Last post by MisterM52
07-12-2019 07:32 PM
27 Replies, 4,839 Views
Euro Headlights (New)
12-31-2018 05:06 PM
Last post by sprnova
07-12-2019 02:58 PM
7 Replies, 2,514 Views
M44 Supercharged Project...
04-07-2019 06:54 AM
Last post by joe1602
07-12-2019 01:33 PM
8 Replies, 1,543 Views
2000 z3 m52 into a 99 ti?
07-09-2019 03:04 AM
Last post by joe1602
07-12-2019 12:23 PM
12 Replies, 801 Views
A Visual journal
07-09-2019 02:04 AM
Last post by anassa
07-12-2019 07:16 AM
4 Replies, 584 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
MTRD3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto/Munich
Posts: 83
Vehicles
iTrader: (0)
Question ECU Tuning Options on a European Car (323Ti)

Hi Fellas, I'm not sure if anyone here will have an answer to this question, but the European section seems to see very little traffic so I thought putting it there might not yield any responses. I have a 323Ti and would like to flash the ecu in order to get a little more DD oomph from the car. Back home in Canada, I have a Dinan CF intake and short shift kit which I am sending over to myself here in Munich to install on the Ti. I have a friend who has a ECU from his 323i coupe in Canada that is flashed with Dinan stg. 3 software. I was planning to get it off him and install it in my car here while I am pretty positive it will work fine with a simple ECU alignment but I had read the following on the Turner Motorsport website which made me wonder if American tuning is useless on European cars (or if its purpose was to make 'restricted' American model BMWs more like the stock European models?)

"Software makes changes to the stock BMW software in the areas of fuel enrichment, transition fueling, camshaft timing, ignition timing, and VANOS control to take full advantage of 91+ octane fuel. BMW ‘de-tuned’ cars for the North American market in the event inferior fuel was used. Software reverses those changes to gain more horsepower and torque."

So I am wondering if the Dinan software (or Shark, or any brand) is used in order to make our cars more like their "non-restricted" European counterparts? Which if so, I am already I guess a step ahead of the game and ECU flash/tuning, or atleast from a American tuner, might not be worth it for me?

I'm also wondering if it is worth it to use the Dinan ECU I can get, or whether it is better to search for the popular tuning options out here locally (in Germany) seeing as they may tune differently because the car is a European specific model?

I know a lot of the board is from America so getting a clear answer might be difficult. That being said, any insight is appreciated. T.I.A.

Last edited by MTRD3; 10-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
MTRD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
bmwconnect
Senior Member
 
bmwconnect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 579
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRD3 View Post
Hi Fellas, I'm not sure if anyone here will have an answer to this question, but the European section seems to see very little traffic so I thought putting it there might not yield any responses. I have a 323Ti and would like to flash the ecu in order to get a little more DD oomph from the car. Back home in Canada, I have a Dinan CF intake and short shift kit which I am sending over to myself here in Munich to install on the Ti. I have a friend who has a ECU from his 323i coupe in Canada that is flashed with Dinan stg. 3 software. I was planning to get it off him and install it in my car here while I am pretty positive it will work fine with a simple ECU alignment but I had read the following on the Turner Motorsport website which made me wonder if American tuning is useless on European cars (or if its purpose was to make 'restricted' American model BMWs more like the stock European models?)

"Software makes changes to the stock BMW software in the areas of fuel enrichment, transition fueling, camshaft timing, ignition timing, and VANOS control to take full advantage of 91+ octane fuel. BMW ‘de-tuned’ cars for the North American market in the event inferior fuel was used. Software reverses those changes to gain more horsepower and torque."

So I am wondering if the Dinan software (or Shark, or any brand) is used in order to make our cars more like their "non-restricted" European counterparts? Which if so, I am already I guess a step ahead of the game and ECU flash/tuning, or atleast from a American tuner, might not be worth it for me?

I'm also wondering if it is worth it to use the Dinan ECU I can get, or whether it is better to search for the popular tuning options out here locally (in Germany) seeing as they may tune differently because the car is a European specific model?

I know a lot of the board is from America so getting a clear answer might be difficult. That being said, any insight is appreciated. T.I.A.

I have not seen a calibration file from a 323TI euro but generally the Euro car's have a more aggressive mapping structure over Canada/US models

What people don't realize is that the DME used is a MS41 but inside can be many versions of software for different delivery country's and fuel grades

The Dinan code will probably work fine after alignment but if you get knocking you should change out the injectors and or slightly increase fuel pressure to deliver a better mixture

best of luck!
__________________
BarrieM/// BMW Tuner - OBD1 M42,M50,S50 Chips & OBD2 M44,S52,M52 Flashes .EWS delete for OBD1 M42 & OBD2 328 M52 EMAIL:info@midnight-tuning.com www.midnight-tuning.com Midnight YouTube Channel

Last edited by bmwconnect; 10-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
MTRD3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto/Munich
Posts: 83
Vehicles
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
I have not seen a calibration file from a 323TI euro but generally the Euro car's have a more aggressive mapping structure over Canada/US models
Those were the exact thoughts which lead me to wonder if our tuning in Canada/America are simply efforts to achieve the performance levels normally set on European model BMWs. If that was the case, I would be at no advantage utilizing any tuning from outside of Europe and ought to better acquaint myself to the tuning scene or popular tuners here.

Many Thanks for a insightful first response Barrie! Cheers
MTRD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
MTRD3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto/Munich
Posts: 83
Vehicles
iTrader: (0)
Default

I was just talking to a BMW mechanic friend of mine (back in Canada, not Europe) about this and he brought up a good point that I had not thought of. If the European cars are generally tuned more aggressive from the factory, and therefore the Dinan ECU (or any Canadian or American tuning software) would almost just be an equivalent to what the factory European tune is, why are the output numbers on a European 323Ti and a CAD/US 323 coupe, with the same M52B25 engine, identical? 170HP and 181 lb. ft. Torque.

In that case, if the Dinan bumps horsepower and torque on a CAD/US 323i coupe, should it not do the same on the European 323Ti?

If the more aggressive European tune doesn't show up in the numbers, where do you see it? Or are the European output numbers just understated?

T.I.A.
MTRD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
bmwconnect
Senior Member
 
bmwconnect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 579
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRD3 View Post
I was just talking to a BMW mechanic friend of mine (back in Canada, not Europe) about this and he brought up a good point that I had not thought of. If the European cars are generally tuned more aggressive from the factory, and therefore the Dinan ECU (or any Canadian or American tuning software) would almost just be an equivalent to what the factory European tune is, why are the output numbers on a European 323Ti and a CAD/US 323 coupe, with the same M52B25 engine, identical? 170HP and 181 lb. ft. Torque.

In that case, if the Dinan bumps horsepower and torque on a CAD/US 323i coupe, should it not do the same on the European 323Ti?

If the more aggressive European tune doesn't show up in the numbers, where do you see it? Or are the European output numbers just understated?

T.I.A.
Take a read from your 323ti in European and then I will compare it against the US/SPEC 323 software and I will tell you quickly what is going on

tool to read the DME http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OBD2-Galletto...item1c1f443c96
__________________
BarrieM/// BMW Tuner - OBD1 M42,M50,S50 Chips & OBD2 M44,S52,M52 Flashes .EWS delete for OBD1 M42 & OBD2 328 M52 EMAIL:info@midnight-tuning.com www.midnight-tuning.com Midnight YouTube Channel
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forced Induction FAQ - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING! DustenT Induction 16 07-20-2014 03:06 AM
So...you want to wear the big boy shirt? kiley_sean Lounge 16 09-24-2005 01:48 AM
2000 bmw 323ci, 27.5kmiles for $20,500 steakandbeans US and North America 2 02-15-2005 06:08 PM
Feeler: 1998 DASC'd 318ti parts car jigg60 US and North America 13 01-15-2005 02:11 AM
ECU swap? robcarync Engine 2 01-10-2004 12:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:03 AM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 90.65 k/104.72 k (13.44%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.