318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Today 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,296,221 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 400,121 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #121
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I know you all are waiting for some video and I will post some soon. I have not taken any yet since I'm not driving the car much. I don't have the timing right so the car sits until things are perfect to continue "break-in", as soon as I get the timing right and my pulley that is 4 sizes smalle, it's video time. I made a nice aluminum bracket that mounts the camcorder to my roll cage right at eye level. The Vette race should be first or second week of February

I'm working on DME tuning software XDF's for Tuner Pro RT for the M5.2 DME. It is a lot harder then I thought it would be but I've made some good progress so far
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #122
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Well I did some data logging this morning.

Does anyone on here know a good timing number to start at for load?

Here's what I've got. Idle 11.5 advance crusing 28 advance. anything involving load and it's 16.5(low) to 18 degree maximum advance. This would be perfect for a 10:1 boosted motor but is not enough for a 8.6:1...My opinion

Anyone know where to start?

I'm pretty sure 16.5 Timing advance is VANOS Retard and 18 Timing advance is VANOS Advance....Say that 3 times fast
Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #123
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
I'm pretty sure 16.5 Timing advance is VANOS Retard and 18 Timing advance is VANOS Advance....Say that 3 times fast
The M44 doesn't have VANOS. However, the DME retards or advances ignition beyond the "base" setting. I'm not certain what sensors, engine readings, etc. cause the DME to adjust. I suspect that the timing also varies depending on whether the DME is in closed loop or open loop operation, but I'm not certain.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #124
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
The M44 doesn't have VANOS. However, the DME retards or advances ignition beyond the "base" setting. I'm not certain what sensors, engine readings, etc. cause the DME to adjust. I suspect that the timing also varies depending on whether the DME is in closed loop or open loop operation, but I'm not certain.

YEa your right on the VANOS thing. My Lambda "close loop" is good at 28 degrees advance it's when it goes open loop under load. DME is out at TT right now getting the timing maps fixed. Have been told the advance is way retarded for a 8.6:1 ratio and the difference will be night and day when I get it back
Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #125
Christian

Quote:
DME is out at TT right now getting the timing maps fixed. Have been told the advance is way retarded for a 8.6:1 ratio and the difference will be night and day when I get it back
I'm sure Nick will get the timing set perfect for your setup. He's dyno tuned my car a few times (once NA, and once with the DASC). He's an artist with the software tuning.

Do you plan to dyno after your new pulley is installed and the DME is tuned? I'd sure like to see the numbers that beast can put down. I'm sure it's one of the most powerful M44 powered cars in the country. About 10 years ago I knew a guy who installed a custom turbo kit on a 318ti. If I recall correctly he was running high 12 or low 13 second quarter miles. I believe he had around 280 whp. I bet yours will be close to that with as much boost as your talking...
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #126
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I'm sure Nick will get the timing set perfect for your setup. He's dyno tuned my car a few times (once NA, and once with the DASC). He's an artist with the software tuning.

Do you plan to dyno after your new pulley is installed and the DME is tuned? I'd sure like to see the numbers that beast can put down. I'm sure it's one of the most powerful M44 powered cars in the country. About 10 years ago I knew a guy who installed a custom turbo kit on a 318ti. If I recall correctly he was running high 12 or low 13 second quarter miles. I believe he had around 280 whp. I bet yours will be close to that with as much boost as your talking...
I'm hoping big HP numbers. I already got in the high 13's with the bone stock M44 DASC on 16 psi stage 3, spraying 92% meth and 8% nitro-methane. The car is very light. Stroker crank lower compression and spinning the SC 15,000 rpm should make some nasty low end torq but I do have the lost HP from the SC pulling power to spin it. We will see. Nick's got a dyno now and I will put it on there late Febuary. I'm running a friends Vette at Sunshine in mid Febuary so I will have some ET's and video of that. I'm 1,000 pounds lighter then the Vette plus I'm showing up with DOT drag slicks so I'm pretty sure I can get him by a car or two and hold it through the lights
Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #127
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Folks I communicated with Nick late last night over email and he is programing my DME today and shipping it Monday. I will have it Tuesday since I'm 248.3 miles door to door. He is changing several maps but tight lipped on details of what he is changing, just I've got a map that is almost perfect and then we can dial it in 100% on the dyno. I guess Nick got slammed with work after the holidays since he is working weekends to try to catch up. The DME is the second to last piece of the puzzle, I only need the 2.8" pulley which should be here between January 17th - February 5th and the car is completed except the clay bar, polish, seal and wax.

Nick's still pushing for a turbo setup starting @ 20psi. I will most likely tire with this setup within 6 months and go turbo. I already have all parts sourced and a tig welder for the custom piping. Nick said he could handle all the programing and fuel delivery which would include larger injectors. He also has the turbo for the car and gave me the list of parts and sources to put the kit together. A turbo kit would make big HP. More boost, intercooled, Did I mention more boost
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #128
xxxJohnBoyxxx

NOW I'M PUTTING DOWN SOME SERIOUS HP

Got my DME back from Nick yesterday. Holy $hit!! I'm shocked at the difference

Major, BIG difference and I'm only at 10psi. The car is sooo fun to drive

I'm very happy with my Metric 2100 FI motor. I give Metric a A+++ on communication, quality & HP claims. I have about 650 miles on it and I only need the 2.8" pulley & some drag radials then it's time to hit the track for some ET's.

The car just sounds plan old nasty...As I drive down the road people just stare, I love it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #129
spidertri

Vehicles

Glad to hear everything has come together. Sounds like a blast to drive. Can you get some video of it running? Any plans for a dyno run?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #130
Marv17

sweet. get a dyno asap.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #131
lpcapital

So Nick was able to do the tuning without having the car to test it?

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #132
tiFreak

Vehicles

sounds cool, get it dynoed and get some sound clips please
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #133
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
So Nick was able to do the tuning without having the car to test it?
I usually take the car to him cause it's 248 miles door to door. Here is how it works if the car is there or I ship the DME. I pick items like idle rpm 900, Rev limit 7,400. I tell him details like, it's fat at idle and give him the A/F ratio, I also give him the A/F ratio under boost when the system goes open loop, timing advance at idle, part throttle and WFO. He then creates a safe map loads it and sends it back. The reason I run a BWM DME is for Lambda control. The computer makes it's own code in adaption values so it tunes itself to run correctly in closed loop. When it goes open loop it subtracts a value from adaption which is pretty close for good performance. There are limits that are set like maximum timing which was 16 degrees advance under load for a stock 10:1 compression. I needed that changed for my low compression 8.6:1 so Nick made the change. Now I have advance of 28 degrees under load with knock sensors to cut it back if it detects knock. WFO I was at 15.5 advance now I'm around 22-25 degrees advance. Big difference in torque and HP

There is more to come and a reason I haven't gone on the dyno or posted any video. I'm waiting on a custom 2.8" pulley that is 4 sizes smaller then my current pulley. After that is installed is when I go on the dyno and when Nick really hones in on the tune. During this tune the car will be on the dyno, the timing will be advanced & fuel trimmed for maximum Torque/HP.

I'm on a safe tune now and loving it. When I get done with the smaller pulley and dyno tune the car should be very fast for a 4 cylinder.

I'm pretty sure I will go turbo before next December. The only thing holding me back right now is cash-flow, but that can change on a weekly basis for me
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #134
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I just got word that my special order supercharger pulley will ship next week. Since it's a Florida business I should have it in my hands the end of next week.

I will post video of runs as soon as the SC pulley is on the car and I'm in a safe place to let it eat
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #135
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
I just got word that my special order supercharger pulley will ship next week. Since it's a Florida business I should have it in my hands the end of next week.

I will post video of runs as soon as the SC pulley is on the car and I'm in a safe place to let it eat
Awesome I can't wait!!!!
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote