318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,427 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,291 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
gneus

Default How to get best acceleration on auto tranny?

hi everybody,

Busy at work and school, it's been a while since my last post.
Anyways, this guy I know challenged me to a race recently. We haven't raced yet, but we will. Now, I wasn't worried cause his '93 5 speed Honda Civic 1.5l 102hp (9x torque) with some custom air intake (he claims +15hp gain, I think that's BS ) that looks really racy with all stickers and vinyls he had put on just can't beat my '95 m42 auto ti. We talked yesterday, he said he beats most cars up to 2.0l motors. I did my research today and I can say that his car is about 600 lbs lighter that mine. Manual tranny and that he really knows how to drive it right started to worry me.

I don't wanna lose so, I need some tips(and tricks) on how to get the best acceleration at start on automatic ti. Couple of times I tried and I don't think that just to floor the gas is good idea especially against experienced driver and manual transmission at start.

thank you all
Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
zboot

well. . . actually you should floor it. You need to have a pretty good idea at which speeds your car will shift. Floor it till you get there, release the accel a little, the car will shift up, then repeat.

Driving my ex-gf's auto honda civic. . . i learned how to coax that baby into moving quickly.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
HuGo

HOLY SH!T DUDE your gonna get it now. Let me guess, your still in High School right? To start off, bad idea to have posted this cuz you gonna get people on your as$ now. Its funny how your really worried to lose. Hopefully your taking it to the tracks and not out in the street. The least thats going to happen is your gonna get tips off how to do it if your planning to race out in the street "whispers..."(these guys are anti street racing)

Anyway, all i can tell you is take it to the track, dont worry so much about losing just have doing it (at the track). I understand, if your in high school and street racing seems so fun and kool and bla bla but as your start maturing youll find out the big risks that can happen. Forget getting a ticket or jail but killing someone else. Anyway, i used to street race once in a while back then but i dont no more. I went to the track and i find it pretty much the same. Yea adrenaline is less but i actually had more fun at the track you know why? Cuz i wasnt nervous at all, i wasnt nervous from cops, tickets, crashing, killing someone else, pedestrian popping outta no where. Put it this way, at the track, you can race all you want, and race more and different cars, and dont have to worry about sh!t. No tickets no nothing. The only advice and best advice is again go to the track and do it. As to answer your question, i dont know cuz i dont drive a manual. I would guess put it on sport mode and go from gear 1,2,3,D.

Im telling you in a good nice and safe way to take it in the track before you start to get your as$ chewed out. And if your not in High School then sh!t you should know better. Cuz not only are you street racing but your setting it up. I could understand if your driving around and someone just taunts you or whatever and you say ok f*ck it ill race him. But knowing street racing is bad and ACTUALLY setting up the race and taking it on the street is just plain being stupid. Sorry if i offended you in anyway but trust me, you dont want to end up in jail for some stupid sh!t. You may think your doing it the safest way possible but it never is ANYTHING can happen. Someone popping outta no where etc.. Look at those people from 9/11 they thought they were safe going to work and look what happen. Its just an example, anything could happen at any moment.

Peace.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Why don't you go to the track and learn how to drive before you hurt yourself or somebody else on the road. That would be the smartest thing to do.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
Put it this way, at the track, you can race all you want, and race more and different cars, and dont have to worry about sh!t. No tickets no nothing. The only advice and best advice is again go to the track and do it.
Who stole Hugo's account?

To the OP. Don't even bother. The ti is not a drag racer and besides, you have no real control over an automatic.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post

To the OP. Don't even bother. The ti is not a drag racer and besides, you have no real control over an automatic.
I dont know Hey! is it possible to steal my own account? LoL. Well im being honest. Im not doing it for attention its what i trully think. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, yea sure it happens where sometimes you just go for it like any other real human being. But i dont go looking for it. I have people rev me up or whatever and i just look at them and laugh. And since i went to the track last time it was pretty kool. I might go again this wednesday.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
gneus

1996Bmw318TI, I read what you think about street racing and appreciate your advices. I just want you to know that I'm well over 20, taking B.A. in university. I've never had any tickets and I think I'm pretty resposible driver overall. What I was thinking, when saying "we will" race is like a race on straight road in a rural area during the day for about 1/4 mile or until some of us get away 1 car length ahead. That's all man. You should never think of me as some irresponsible teen, who is possibly going to hurt somebody. I never thought that such a question can provoke dangerous driving behavior in anybody and the last thing I want is somebody getting hurt, so I will follow your advice and look for a race track around. After all, tickets and other possible problems with the police is what I'm worried the most.

Now, I'm originally from Europe and all of the cars I've owned prior to this one were with manual tranny.
Is there anybody who is going to share with me some meaningfull tips on how to get the best acceleration on your auto ti. I mean, somebody that have really practiced or tried it.

Some say I should hold the brake and keep the car in let say 2000 revs on gear. I'm afraid it's bad for the transmission so I've never done it.
Putting in sport mode I think actually makes my car very very slow on start, maybe there is something wrong with it. This was a question I always wanted to ask on this forum, but never did.

zboot, thanx for the advice man. The thing is that when I pull out on 1st gear I thing I should apply gas half the way for 1-2 seconds first and floor it from there on. This is what I think works best.

Again, I want to thank you all for all of your many responds and advices in such a short time. I'm expecting more
Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
318iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gneus View Post
hi everybody,

Busy at work and school, it's been a while since my last post.
Anyways, this guy I know challenged me to a race recently. We haven't raced yet, but we will. Now, I wasn't worried cause his '93 5 speed Honda Civic 1.5l 102hp (9x torque) with some custom air intake (he claims +15hp gain, I think that's BS ) that looks really racy with all stickers and vinyls he had put on just can't beat my '95 m42 auto ti. We talked yesterday, he said he beats most cars up to 2.0l motors. I did my research today and I can say that his car is about 600 lbs lighter that mine. Manual tranny and that he really knows how to drive it right started to worry me.

I don't wanna lose so, I need some tips(and tricks) on how to get the best acceleration at start on automatic ti. Couple of times I tried and I don't think that just to floor the gas is good idea especially against experienced driver and manual transmission at start.

thank you all
i think cos your askin this question that your not too confident about your driving ? ? ?

in which case its a bad idea to be racing in the first place......

i dont think you will beat a manual civic anyway... just my opinion
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318iS View Post
i think cos your askin this question that your not too confident about your driving ? ? ?

in which case its a bad idea to be racing in the first place......

i dont think you will beat a manual civic anyway... just my opinion
How does confidence about driving translate into in-depth knowledge on the acceleration transfer characteristics of a vehicle? The US president is an example of where confidence does not equal genius.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
angel318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboot View Post
How does confidence about driving translate into in-depth knowledge on the acceleration transfer characteristics of a vehicle? The US president is an example of where confidence does not equal genius.
+1
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
robcarync

user the A/M switch and put it in manual mode...and manually shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th....you will get better acceleration shifting manually....just shift the auto gear selector about 500 rpms early because there is a slight delay from when the lever is moved to when it actually shifts.

i actually think setting up a street race is safer than having someone taunt me into one....if you go to set it up you can scope out the place for cops/danger spots before hand and if you go in the middle of the night especially you dont have to worry as much about any traffic or anything
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
3DGE

switch to manual mode, 1st gear, FLOOR IT!! Keep teh RPMs over 4XXX all teh way.

In a auto without a chip it takes a seconds for the computer to shift, when you shift; so get the feel for it.

1st gear takes like 2 seconds then your at redline, so shift quick; 2nd gear shifts twice, I think, so watch for that, 3rd gear is more like 4th, run that tell your at 57XX. Once you reach your max the race should be over, but if you want to keep it going just revert back to auto and go faster..by this time the car should be at top speed. I have only hit 115MPH, it took a while, On the freeways I tend to do 60-100.

Have fun drive safe watch for cops. Dont drive in traffic or with other cars in the area.
If you loose tell him your shifting is off haha.
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
Panzer_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post

Steve's right, it's like the e30 M, Not a Drag star, but a Track Star..if you don't understand that. Your too much of a kid to have the car.

2nd it's a CRX, light, very light, so it's got only 100hp...it's also FWD so there is less parsitic loss with the drivetrain. Plus he's got a manul so he can run the engine out higher. Looks can be deseptive. Plus a car doesn't always show a driver's skill. also there is a 2nd motor for the CRX ZC or something SOHC that's a bit better than the stock again IIRC...but don't qoute me with older SOHC Honda motors. Bur alot will be determined by how the Honda is cared for and what's been done to it.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 AM   #14
robcarync

2nd doesnt shift twice....3rd gear is 3rd gear, and D=4th gear, but when you shift to D the computer will keep the car in 3rd gear until it has reached optimum shift points....so thats why if you shift to D it doesnt shift right away....if you have enough space to actually get up to speeds where you need 4th gear, you will notice the car shifts automatically from 3 to 4.

just hit M, pop it in 1st....hold the brake hard and give it a little gas to keep the rpms up a little....when you are ready slam the gas down as you let off the brake. shift to 2 about 500rpms before redline, then shift to 3 at the same point, then shift to D whenever you want because as I said the car will automatically shift to D for you, but you hhave to be going kind of fast for the car to shift to 4th.

PS: i have tried lots of differnet combos with the A/M shift switch and what not and according to the Gtech timer, just manually shifting is the fastest way to drive if you are racing
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #15
3DGE

sorry my bad on giving advice, I have never shifted to 4thin manual...I think I got up too 100, I will test this on a dry day.
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote