318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 999,578 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #31
rgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Oh well, lesson learned. Keep a close eye on that needle and if you see it moving, pull over and shut her down asap! Now it's probably time to find another BF, one that knows how to work on cars So now that you're up and running again, is it safe to say that we'll see you at the Socal Ti meet in June?(nod your head, because you are going)
yep, I'll be there!
rgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #32
ATF

Now I'm curious how you go about replacing/inspecting those two plastic pieces, especially since I'm at 65K miles, I'm next on the list :/ Anyone know or has seen a guide?
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #33
HuGo

Yea, i hope to you see in the meet!

You guys are going to get smoked!! LoL jk, ill take it easy on you guys.

Im expecting to get my car back on saturday and start assembling all my mods from this to the next few weekends.

Hey rgirl, didnt you say i can get free haircuts from you?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #34
bucksworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Now I'm curious how you go about replacing/inspecting those two plastic pieces, especially since I'm at 65K miles, I'm next on the list :/ Anyone know or has seen a guide?
All the new BMW come with plastic pieces as well. But I think the rule of thumb is 10years or 100,000 miles before the plastic breaks down from the constant heat. These car company's don't want your car to last for ever I guess.
bucksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #35
rgirl

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Yea, i hope to you see in the meet!

You guys are going to get smoked!! LoL jk, ill take it easy on you guys.

Im expecting to get my car back on saturday and start assembling all my mods from this to the next few weekends.

Hey rgirl, didnt you say i can get free haircuts from you?

if you wanna trade in labor, I would love to cut your hair!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #36
biker32

so ya driving back from my local bmw shop(international autos) and my car car starts to smoke.... i probably wasnt driving it for more than 25-30 mintues(total there and back). pull over, open the hood, coolant everywhere. it looked like a small river behind my car from all the coolant leaking out as i pulled over. as im sitting on the side of the road wating for a tow truck the window regulator that i just fixed (by fixed i mean bent back into shape) decides it didnt want to work and then bent again with my window all the way down... so window all the way down ,overheated engine, cant drive anywhere, cant fix anything....== one pissed off tony... the next morning the first on the list of recent threads is this one, and i have a feeling this is what is wrong with my car....
biker32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #37
ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker32 View Post
so ya driving back from my local bmw shop(international autos) and my car car starts to smoke.... i probably wasnt driving it for more than 25-30 mintues(total there and back). pull over, open the hood, coolant everywhere. it looked like a small river behind my car from all the coolant leaking out as i pulled over. as im sitting on the side of the road wating for a tow truck the window regulator that i just fixed (by fixed i mean bent back into shape) decides it didnt want to work and then bent again with my window all the way down... so window all the way down and broken cant drive anywhere cant fix anything....== one pissed off tony... the next morning the first on the list of recent threads is this one, and i have a feeling this is what is wrong with my car....
How many miles on your car?
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #38
tastade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Oh well, lesson learned. Keep a close eye on that needle and if you see it moving, pull over and shut her down asap! Now it's probably time to find another BF, one that knows how to work on cars So now that you're up and running again, is it safe to say that we'll see you at the Socal Ti meet in June?(nod your head, because you are going)
Just so you know, it isn't always best to shut the car off right away if it starts getting hot. The best thing to do is to pull over safely, let the car idle, and turn the heat to full and the blower on full blast. Make sure all other engine loads, like AC, headlights, radio, etc are turned off. The heater core will act like a second radiator and should reduce engine temperatures significantly.

Once the engine has cooled to a normal range, shut it off (if you know it was temporary problem you could continue driving at this point). If this procedure doesn't work to reduce the temperature, shut the engine off.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #39
rgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker32 View Post
so ya driving back from my local bmw shop(international autos) and my car car starts to smoke.... i probably wasnt driving it for more than 25-30 mintues(total there and back). pull over, open the hood, coolant everywhere. it looked like a small river behind my car from all the coolant leaking out as i pulled over. as im sitting on the side of the road wating for a tow truck the window regulator that i just fixed (by fixed i mean bent back into shape) decides it didnt want to work and then bent again with my window all the way down... so window all the way down ,overheated engine, cant drive anywhere, cant fix anything....== one pissed off tony... the next morning the first on the list of recent threads is this one, and i have a feeling this is what is wrong with my car....

bummer, I definitely feel your pain.... hopefully your engine is okay, because that's the expensive part! my gripe from the beginning is that there should really be some sort of warning light or beeping sound that goes off when the temp starts going into the red, as it's very difficult to keep your eye on the temp at all times- especially in traffic, etc... I was probably driving for less than 5 minutes, and my engine was screwed.

anyways, good luck!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #40
biker32

i have 178k on the car.... i got it fixed and it only ended up costing me 900 it was $234 for parts and $630 for labor (and i had them fix my window regulator ) dam i wish i had a bigger garage and more tools i could have saved myself 600
biker32 is offline   Reply With Quote