318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 949,471 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
vsonix

Vehicles
Default BMW drivers are "UK's Angriest Motorists"...

[source]

Quote:
Drivers of BMWs have been named and shamed as the angriest motorists in Britain, it has been claimed.

A study asked 3,000 motorists to think about times they had suffered abuse by another driver and recall what sort of car the protagonist had been driving.

It was found motorists who own the flashy German built cars are more likely to tailgate, flick the finger and speed than anyone else on the road.

In fact, more than half of all UK drivers polled said they had suffered at the hands of a BMW driver, the second most angry drivers were said to be white van driver.

23% of drivers also said they have even been confronted by a motorist who got out of their car after an abusive exchange… that's those "How's my driving?" stickers for you.
TOP 10 ANGRIEST DRIVERS
1. BMW
2. White van
3. Audi
4. Ford
5. Land Rover
6. Lorry
7. Vauxhall
8. Range Rover
9. Volkswagen
10. Mercedes

The most frightening forms of behaviour are said to include tailgating (58 per cent), other drivers pulling out in front of people (40 per cent), and speeding (39 per cent).

And four-in-ten motorists also get worried when they witness others undertaking or driving faster on the inside lane of the motorway or dual carriageway.

A further 37 per cent of Brits feel most nervous when other drivers flash their lights to let them know they want to overtake, while 32 per cent are shocked to receive an offensive hand gesture when behind the wheel.

A spokesperson for Gocompare.com, which commissioned the poll, said: "Traditionally the white van man is stereotyped as a bad driver, but this is no longer the case.

"Although the white van man still features highly on the list, he has been well and truly over taken by BMW drivers - who Brits consider rude, dangerous and bad tempered."
I get kinda sick of the negative associations with BMW ownership sometimes - I don't think I've got any angrier since driving a BMW as opposed to a Vauxhall, maybe a bit more smug, but that's not the same.

I do occasionally find myself coming up a bit close behind people sometimes when coming out of bends on a twisty roads but that's just because the ti doesn't have to slow down so much to do through the corners as their cars generally do...

Last edited by vsonix; 10-29-2010 at 03:11 AM.
vsonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

I don't know about the UK, but where I live it's always the person in the rustbucket beater who drives like an ass but it's always the BMW drivers who get dirty looks
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
vsonix

Vehicles

nope, I've definitely noticed that since driving the ti (funnily enough the 320i seems not to be so bad) I get shouted at, dirty looks, flashed headlights etc far more frequently, and when I stop to let someone onto a busy road, or hang back to let a bus out or whatever, people always look surprised that a BMW gave way to them.
I always get kids in ****ty Corsas and Saxos wanting to burn me off at traffic lights as well.

Also this article fails to take into account that BMWs are actually pretty common these days. While still perceived as a predominantly luxury brand, the basic 3er is a really big seller, and pretty much every third car to drive past you is an e46, e90/91 or a 1-series 5-door.
vsonix is offline   Reply With Quote