318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,355 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,189 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
barbarobiscuit

Question Setting timing on M44

I have a 98 318ti with the head and many other parts removed from the car. I got it from an auction where a customer did not pay so work was suspended. There are new intake valves and it looks like some head work has been done as it is very polished. Unfortunately there is no lock on the crankshaft or camshaft and I am sure it is not in TDC. How do I set the timing? Everything I can find is based off the engine being locked in top dead center before the head has been removed.
barbarobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarobiscuit View Post
I have a 98 318ti with the head and many other parts removed from the car. I got it from an auction where a customer did not pay so work was suspended. There are new intake valves and it looks like some head work has been done as it is very polished. Unfortunately there is no lock on the crankshaft or camshaft and I am sure it is not in TDC. How do I set the timing? Everything I can find is based off the engine being locked in top dead center before the head has been removed.
You need a Bently BMW manual. If you don't mine stealing it you can find a PDF of it on the net. I'm sure it's in rapidshare and there are plently of torrents too. Good luck
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
barbarobiscuit

JohnBoy thanks for replying! I have the Bentley Manual, I went ahead and purchased one before I even started on the project, knowing it would be impossible without one. I also got the 101 projects book for the E36, the Haynes Manual too... All three of these go off the idea that you lock the crank and the cam in Top Dead Center before taking them apart though, and mine is apart and not locked in. I just got the tool in the mail to lock the crankshaft, and supposed I can just turn it till the tool will fit and it should be good, except I just realized the chain is locked up in the lower guide somehow.... getting better all the time!
barbarobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
JohnBoy thanks for replying! I have the Bentley Manual, I went ahead and purchased one before I even started on the project, knowing it would be impossible without one. I also got the 101 projects book for the E36, the Haynes Manual too... All three of these go off the idea that you lock the crank and the cam in Top Dead Center before taking them apart though, and mine is apart and not locked in. I just got the tool in the mail to lock the crankshaft, and supposed I can just turn it till the tool will fit and it should be good, except I just realized the chain is locked up in the lower guide somehow.... getting better all the time!
I have never done this on a Bimmer but this is how I would do it. First find TDC on cylinder #1 piston. I use a dial indicator in the #1 spark plug hole but you can use a wooden dowel that fits in the plug hole. Rotate engine until the #1 piston is at the very top which should be noticable when the dowel reaches the highest point and starts to drop. Go back and forth with the crank until you have the piston at the highest point or Top Dead Center "TDC" then lock it. Move to camshafts and look at page 117-2 figure #4 in the bently. Align both camshaft arrows per the picture with the arrows pointing up. This should time the camshafts with the crank. Good luck
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
except I just realized the chain is locked up in the lower guide somehow.... getting better all the time!
Be careful. Are you sure it's the chain? It is possible a piston is hitting a open valve. Be very careful so you don't break additional parts.