318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 959,356 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,815 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
HuGo

Default Best Brand Of Speakers?

well today ima go to some store, and i plan on buyin 12 speakers. I think the car comes with 10 right? well ima get 2 extra subs, but i was told by my uncle im gonna need 2 amplifiers and a new battery *stronger battery* But ill see, i want to get that same idea as that one guy with the fiber glass, but i was thinking 1 on each side. But then my uncle said that the subs cant be facing eachother, so idk ill have to ask. But id like to get some idea from u guys, thx.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
HuGo

It looks like no help, but i just purchased them. New speakers all around, so its like what 10 speakers in the car, all new now*stronger*?? Plus 2 10' Subs, 2 amps, darker tinted window*limo tint* on the back window, $700 everything. I wanted that fiber glass on the sides and stuff, but they wanted 1,300. I wanted that extra room so i can still put stuff, but oh well i went with a box. Plus i hardly use my backseat to carry people, so my back seat is my new trunk. So i guess the lambo doors and S52 gonna be put aside for a good while. I asked those guys how much for lambo, and they said 1,600 :S

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
robcarync

you should only need 1 amp for 2 subs...

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/504/subdiagram.jpg

http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8186

here is a write up i did for installing subs...

each amp should have two speaker wire outputs so you can power two subs with one amp
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarync
you should only need 1 amp for 2 subs...

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/504/subdiagram.jpg

http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8186

here is a write up i did for installing subs...

each amp should have two speaker wire outputs so you can power two subs with one amp
Oh no yea i know. I mean, 2 subs are going to 1 amp. And the other 10 speakers, that come with the car factory, im getting upgraded. So all those 10 other new speakers are another amp. So the 2 tweeters in the door, the 2 buy foot rest, and the 4 in the back sides *the 2 in each side, the triangaler looking thing*

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
davep-uk

i dont think ive got 10 speakers in my car unless there are some hidden away. was that some kind of sound package?

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep-uk
i dont think ive got 10 speakers in my car unless there are some hidden away. was that some kind of sound package?
Lets see, 2 tweeters in each door = 4
1 in driver side foot, passenger foot = 2 + 4 = 6
1 triangaler tweeter each side backseat = 2 +6 =8
Where there are 2 tweeters in the back, it looks like right next to it in front, theres like things with like 3 lines = im guessing theres speakers inside. 8+2=10 so im getting all those replaced, then plus 2 subs im putting. 12

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
davep-uk

i'll have to have a count up in the morning.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
Lets see, 2 tweeters in each door = 4

It's actually 1 tweeter,1 mid and the bass speaker in the kickpanel below.

I hope you know what you are getting into,by the sounds of it you don't know how many speakers you have and what sizes they are. By the way what kind of speakers and amps did you buy? Cause $700 for 10spkrs 2subs & 2amps is cheap.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
stormos

indeed it is. must be crap quality for that sort of cash.

i spent £1000 ($1700) on my 4 channel amp, components for the front and 6x9 rears. ah, and the headunit. all kenwood ps stuff....
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #10
aceyx

dave; it might be a US thing. We're a hard lot to please.

First, you can't expect a response within an hour (assuming it took you an hour to go out and buy the speakers), especially at 8pm on a Saturday night for us East coasters.

Second, the "best" brand is subjective; it depends what kind of sound you're trying to produce. From what I've heard both through personal knowledge and anecdotes, Boston Acoustics offers the best fidelity for the price. a/d/s has stuff that works, but for some reason doesn't work well in the 3 series. Sony/Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine/etc all make good stuff. It's hard to go wrong with a component system these days now that materials and manufacturing are so inexpensive.

The only amps I've ever installed were MTX from ebay, and it went into a boat. Stick with a major brand and go for the best price.

For subwoofers, buy the heaviest one, set it in a ported box, and wire a capacitor to it.

There's a budget brand that actually sounds pretty good. I don't remember the name, but I'd remember it if I heard it.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
It's actually 1 tweeter,1 mid and the bass speaker in the kickpanel below.

I hope you know what you are getting into,by the sounds of it you don't know how many speakers you have and what sizes they are. By the way what kind of speakers and amps did you buy? Cause $700 for 10spkrs 2subs & 2amps is cheap.
Well the stock speakers are getting replaced with same sizes but just better. I think the guy told me the stock tweeters are like 7 watts, and the ones im getting on each side are 20 watts. The rest i dont really know, i forgot. Speaker brands are JL. I didnt really want like a super heavy duty show off system. I just wanted it to be loud with smooth sound. I told the guy, im not looking to show off and for someone to mean hear it far away. I just want it to be loud and resist, and the sound to come out clean. So he put me with JL speakers, im guessing the amp is same brand. Ill ask how many watts everything is running. The 2 subs are 10 inches. Yea i know its cheap thats why i got em. If i went same with ALPINE brand, itll been like 2 grand atleast. So i told the guy, i just want it to sound nice and loud. Cuz the stock speakers now, if i put it a lil to loud, i could here one of the speakers or tweeters popped. It goes zzzzzzz *the triangaler tweeter in back seat*

Ill update you with info on monday since ill get it back on monday and ill tell ya how many watts, speakers, etc.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Are those speaker stolen goods? Cause if thats all JL Audio your looking at $1000-1500 for all of that if not more.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I don't think it matters to him, as long as it's cheap.

1996Bmw318TI - post pics of your setup. You realize that the factory speakers that you are replacing are Alpine, right?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #14
Viper3812

That is cheap cause I paid $500 for my Alpine headunit and 2 JL XR 5.25" components and 2 JL TR 4" speakers and paid $800 for the JL 500/1 amp and H.O. Wedge box with 2 10" W3's.

Great system.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
aceyx

JL will get you the sound you're after.

DustenT; I'm pretty sure my door speakers are Nokia. I've removed the panels enough (to fix the regulators) that that's stuck in my mind. Either way, they're paper-cone, and I bet even Realistic (RatShack brand) is an upgrade from that.