318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Gabor

Default I am thinking of selling my ti. what do you think?

First off, I love driving it. Not many vehicles you can put in a sideway drift and have so much control. I don't really drive it that way, but it is good to know that this econo-box can leave most people who drive BMWs as status symbols in the dust!

I purchased this vehicle in 1999 with 18k on the clock. It is a '97, with beige cloth seats. Now, I have 166k on it, and still do 33 mpg without a worry about it. (Pretty much bulled proof, especially when considering the VW Passat that threw its timing belt for the second time, thus inspiring me to go with an engine with a chain cam drive!) Within the past two years I have had a new clutch installed, water pump and radiator. I also had the headliner replaced. Now for the worst. I hate the seats! They are of beige (gray) cloth. I mean when was the last time you saw a BMW with cloth seats? Moreover, a drop of water will leave a stain! This is absurd! First off, I lived in Florida when I purchased this car. Even then it already had a water stain on the passenger seat. Only after some use did I appreciate how easy it was to stain the seat. Should you spill a drop, or your water bottle perspire, you are hosed! It will leave a mark.

I should also mention that I use my car. That is, it need not be be immaculate, but should function perfectly. As a cyclist, I don't really worry about water stains on the seats. What does worry me it the airbag light. I have had it into the service and have had the seat belt sensors replaced numerous times. Only then did I learn that the system will reset itself after 50 starts, and I may soon be looking at another red light telling me that the airbags are shut off. Makes me wonder why I just spent $500 for seatbelt sensors!

The last time it was in the shop, they re-did the wiring for the airbags. Evidently, there was a change in configuration of the airbag wiring loom mid year, and of course, the wiring harness the shop ordered was the wrong one. (Nice of them not to charge me for storage, as it was in the shop for two weeks. I was out of town, so it worked out well.) Regardless, I am still looking at at the airbag light!

My wife is just besides herself. All this money spent, and the airbags don't work. Although the car was never subjected to ice or snow (we live in
San Diego), I do think it is not much to expect the airbags to work.

I understand that it will take another $200 to test the $800 airbag computer. When I approached my mechanic about this minor item, (seat-belt sensors already replaced three times at $500 a pop), he thought the whole idea was absurd. He shrugged his shoulders and pointed at his 911, and reminded me that he doesn't have airbags!

(Although I love my car - When is enough enough?)

Is it too much to ask for the airbags to work? The airbag light has been on for a while. The BMW dealer did the same work before the warrantee expired. I would love to hold on to this great little car, but not if it will not protect me.

Recently, there has also been a minor oil leak. Just enough to leave stain, and to give a reason to purchase a kit to rework the valve cover seal. As I contemplate this wonderful little adventure I must wonder if it is worth it? I really don't mind doing the work, my prior vehicle was an M-1 tank, but i am not sure if it is worth it. What do you think?

I should mention that the sunroof doesn't really work as it should. It retracts, but the inside shade has separated, thus it really doesn't move with the roof itself. I have got out the Bentley manually, and quite figure it out.
Any suggestions?
Or, offers?
Honest, as BMW doesn't make a diesel wagon, I may jump ship and get a WV (again) TDI SPORTWAGEN. The bottom line is this: If the airbags work, I may keep it! Any ideas?
Help?
Gabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Bozola
Z3

Vehicles

Well, asking this board what you should do isn't hard to predict.

I would keep it.
________
Yamaha TX16W history

Last edited by Bozola; 01-31-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
ellcapitan

Your crash protection is something like 80% seatbelts, 20% airbombs. I, for one, believe that airbags should never have been mandated in place of more worthwhile safety features, like ABS and stability control. I have nothing against airbags, but I do not think I should be forced to pay for them in a car. If it were up to me, I would delete the airbags every time, and spend the money on other options!
ellcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

if it changes your mind, there was a member here who rolled his ti down an 800 ft. embankment and the airbags didn't go off, he ended up in the hospital for some broken bones but made a full recovery
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
ellcapitan

My point is: Would the airbags that changed that at all? I doubt it. On the other hand, if he weren't wearing the belts, he probably wouldn't be around to tell the story.
ellcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
pdxmotorhead

Doesn't the airbag light just tell you the seat and weight sensors are bad?

I thought they still deploy if the light is on...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
jbt

Sounds more to me is that he's tired of putting money into this thing than just a simple gripe over the airbag light.
jbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
my prior vehicle was an M1
The M1 is my favorite BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellcapitan View Post
I, for one, believe that airbags should never have been mandated in place of more worthwhile safety features, like ABS and stability control.
Absolutely! The best safety features are those that prevent the airbags from going off in the first place, like ABS and stability control. Without these, you're more likely to NEED airbags. Also, driving sensibly helps. If the glowing SRS light reminds you to drive sensibly, it's also a great safety feature ... even better than SRS itself!

Last edited by MacUser; 01-09-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone auto-incorrect!
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote