318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,408 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,279 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
ClubSport

Default What do I need to install a new headunit??

I just ordered a Nakamichi CD400 and I want to have all the stuff ready to wire it in when it gets here. I'm clueless when it comes to car audio, but I know a fair bit about wiring.

I've heard that I need a wiring harness adapter and antenna plug adapter. Someone else on this board said they got them from best buy, so I went there. What I got was a 1986 and up VW (?) stereo connector, which says 'not for use on factory amplified sound systems' and is made by Scosche. Will this even work? They were talking about amp bypass and crap I didn't understand.

They couldn't tell me which antenna adapter would work, one of them has a 12v input, the other does not.

Isn't there a harness adapter that doesn't require splicing? I can do it, but I'm sure it would be a ghetto looking hack job.

Please help!
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Andrew_Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSport
I've heard that I need a wiring harness adapter and antenna plug adapter. Someone else on this board said they got them from best buy, so I went there.
Isn't there a harness adapter that doesn't require splicing? I can do it, but I'm sure it would be a ghetto looking hack job.

Please help!
Yes there is a harness adapter that doesn't require splicing. We got one from Crutchfield. The VW antenna adaptor should work.

IMPORTANT -- Your ti most likely has a built in amplifier. Some years are not compatible with high output head units. What year is your ti? Our '96 didn't need a special adaptor or an amp bypass. Other years do -- You can burn things out if you don't get it right.
Andrew_Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
ClubSport

I have a 95 with the 10 speaker system. From what I hear, there is an amp in the left trunk wall. Am I going to burn something up without a bypass?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Andrew_Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSport
I have a 95 with the 10 speaker system. From what I hear, there is an amp in the left trunk wall. Am I going to burn something up without a bypass?
You might. I don't remember details that didn't apply to our car. I researched all of this 3 years ago when I replaced the head unit.

Our '96 has an amplifier. Left side in the back. Not hard to get to. I remember looking at it when I changed the head unit. We have fewer speaker than you do though.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
ClubSport

Thanks.

Anyone with a '95 have some more details?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
ClubSport

bump.

The nak will be here thursday! Anyone?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
sKunkman

If this helps....
my friend has a 96 crown vic, we took out his old head unit, spliced the wires, put the harness back in, and it worked fine. Of course, thats a domestic car and not a bmw, but I don't see why there would be a problem. As long as you dont install any amps... I dont think the HU drains any more power than a stock one.

But don't take my word for it and fry your car. Just my humble opinion.
sKunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
Andrew_Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKunkman
If this helps....
but I don't see why there would be a problem.

Most 318ti's have factory installed amplifiers. They are hidden under the carpet on the left rear corner of the car. Some of the factory amplifiers are not compatible with high power head units. Just hooking up the wires doesn't work with some of our cars.

It did work on our '96 with the 6 speaker system.

I've got a feeling the 10 speaker system in the '95 is the one that needs a special adaptor. I don't remember if it just didn't work, if the amp will fry the head unit or if the head unit fried the amp.

My suggestion to Club Sport is to try calling Crutchfield -- They sell the correct harness adaptor anyway. If that fails, google it.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
96cali

FYI I have the Nak 400 in my '96 10 speaker system bypassing the stock amp. I was told the built in Nak amp is cleaner anyway. You can turn the Nak amp on/off through the faceplate controls. I did not do the install (Chris at understeer.com) so i cannot supply details. Sounded absolutely incredible until it quit 5 weeks after install. No power, no nada. Still have to pull it. Hoping it's just a fuse...

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:10 PM   #10
mickd

The 10 speaker "premium" system was an option, on all years of our ti's. This system has 2 speakers in each door panel. It uses a low level line signal from the head unit to individual amplifiers. If you are installing an aftermarket head unit you cannot take the speaker output from the head unit to these amps. You are best off just getting rid of the installed amplifiers and go directly to the speakers, these amps are not very good quality anyways. The standard 6 speaker stereo system has only 1 speaker in each door panel and does not have the amps external to the head unit, you can wire directly from the head unit speaker output to the speakers. This standard 6 speaker system is much easier to hook up to an aftermarket head unit.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #11
aceyx

somebody correct me if i'm wrong but the standard 6 speaker system was not available in US cars after 1996 (production). the 10 speaker system was standard after that point (in an attempt to appeal to us spoiled yanks), but not the same as the premium H/K option.

my '97 is a base, the only option ordered being ASC+t, and has 10 speakers. i severely doubt that this is the "premium" system, as the cones are still an extruded paper. with the regulator blowing regularly, i see them often. also, the HK system is a supposed 320 watts, versus 200 for the 10 speaker stock system.

in any case, i find it difficult to believe that with all the members who have done stereo upgrades, there hasn't been a throng of responses.

clubsport; what information did you get from crutchfield?
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #12
mickd

All of the 10 speaker systems had external amps. I know it was an option on the '95 ti. OK..... it might not have been an option on other years, regardless, you can't wire directly from a new head unit speaker output to the speakers on these cars. I am trying to help ClubSport and 96cali, don't confuse the issue aceyx. If you have the solution, state it, otherwise stay out of this.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #13
mickd

Here is the info on the stereo wiring http://home.att.net/~ebaines/e36_leads.htm
Old 03-25-2005, 11:01 PM   #14
mickd

More info http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ste...eo_wiring.html
Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
Andrew_Debbie

Correction -- our '96 has the 10 speaker system with the amp.